The Comic Thread in outer space

Kaftan Barlast

See, and I can't understand why people do like his style :)

Loeb has done some good work in the past, but it seems like since now that he's established himself he's just pumping out poo like its gold. Ultimates 3 was just... wow... I know Joe Mad was partly to blame for that turd but still. Jealous robot, random return of Venom, Wasp leading the team, Black Panther suddenly a member of the team, as appointed by Nick Fury, who was trapped in another dimension so how the hell can he appoint anyone, Dr Doom inexplicably returns from the Zombie universe, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch lovers, Hawkeye going from badass black ops commando to emo... just wow

Well for the most part, I've never understood the appeal of the Ultimate line, so while I know most fans hate what Loeb is doing with it, I'm neutral as I'm not reading it.

I will say the only things I can think of that I really liked by Loeb were some time ago.

Ultimates biggest draw, to me at least, was just the sheer balls to the walls combat. Millar has a weird tendancy to turn anyone he gets his hands on into a complete jack hole, The only character that I was able to sympathize with in both Ultimates one and 2 was Bruce Banner, everyone else was brimming with personality flaws, from wife beating, to self obsession, to puritanical beliefs, to millionaire playboy who doesn't really give a damn about anything, to the all controlling all seeing Nick Fury. But the combat was second to none in anything I've read.

Ultimates three from what I've seen on newsarama, has just been a train wreck. Where millar had he intelligence to keep the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver incest in the dirty dirty minds of fans, Loeb just outright told the audience that it happened, and Wasp played Voyeur. And Loeb hasn't exactly had a good track record of writing recently.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The ultimate line was appealing in that it didn't have convoluted continuity. Its only 8 years old and the way they handled crossover events was ideal, where the entire crossover was contained in a single title so you didn't have to buy every book the company put out every month. They had decided early on to never have more than 5 books a month in the line, leaving room for Fantastic Four, Ultimates, Spider-Man, and X-Men, as well as one crossover title.

Also, except for Ultimate Spider-Man, the titles tended to be edgier than the standard 616 marvel stuff. That has changed since they put Millar on the front lines of the regular marvel U, basically ultimatizing the 616 universe, but thats what they're attempting to rectify with Ultimatum, killing off major characters from each book in order to really shake up the universe and bring that uniqueness back to the ultimate U.

Unfortunately they put Loeb in charge of it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What is Ultimatum really? I thought that would mark the end of print of the Ultimate titles, but now I hear they wont close it down afterall?

Millar has a weird tendancy to turn anyone he gets his hands on into a complete jack hole, The only character that I was able to sympathize with in both Ultimates one and 2 was Bruce Banner, everyone else was brimming with personality flaws, from wife beating, to self obsession, to puritanical beliefs, to millionaire playboy who doesn't really give a damn about anything..

I think the Ultimates version of the characters are much more interesting that the standards. The regular ones were mostly kind of flat and very PG-13, whereas the Ultimates have human flaws and weaknesses that makes them alot more compelling to read about.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Millar

See, this is where the Ultimates stuff looses me; I have yet to read a story by Millar that I liked.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watchmen is increadibly overrated. And Rorschach was initially The Question, but Moore wasnt allowed to use DC's intellectual property for the book that became Watchmen so he made up new names for them and changed em a bit.

I used to read some Disney Comics/Books when I was a little child. Now I'm a grown-up, I don't need this nonsense anymore.

I find your lack of trolling skills disturbing.

The standard answer is that the comics of today have a much higher litterary and artistic standard, and thus apeal to people of all ages. The number of comics made for mature readers, being illustrated litterature rather than evolved children's entertainment, have also increased singificantly since the rise of art/undergroud comics in the 1960's

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You really don't have a leg to stand on, Morgoth.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Im all for a good flamewar, but that is just the lamest bait Ive ever seen :lol:

What is Ultimatum really? I thought that would mark the end of print of the Ultimate titles, but now I hear they wont close it down afterall?

Millar has a weird tendancy to turn anyone he gets his hands on into a complete jack hole, The only character that I was able to sympathize with in both Ultimates one and 2 was Bruce Banner, everyone else was brimming with personality flaws, from wife beating, to self obsession, to puritanical beliefs, to millionaire playboy who doesn't really give a damn about anything..

I think the Ultimates version of the characters are much more interesting that the standards. The regular ones were mostly kind of flat and very PG-13, whereas the Ultimates have human flaws and weaknesses that makes them alot more compelling to read about.

True they did have more human flaws but I just couldn't get to like them because they were so self absorbed and ready to kill a friendship if they heard something remotely evil about someone.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You really don't have a leg to stand on, Morgoth.

He has one of those hover-chairs like Professor X? :ermm:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just don't have the ****ing time to read that useless garbage.

Hi there internet message board member!

You know that you can work and occasionally look into forums? It's called multitasking, kiddo.

Otherwise, I'm not interested in reading Comics. Why are people so pissed about that? Go get a life lol.

so... if you have no interest in comics, why even bother posting in a comic book thread? :ermm:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Mutants and monsters and robots and dragons and whatever else, whatever form it takes, comics, movies or video games, it's all going to seem like nonsense to someone, but geeks telling other geeks to get a life is nothing but lame. This is the forum of a company that makes computer role playing games. I mean seriously, get a life losers.

Anyway, AVG is freakin' out about that Hulk image in the first post for some reason.

blah, blah, blah......AVG is freakin' out about that Hulk image in the first post for some reason.

Because it looks like ****?

John Han****'s signature is the most prominent on the United States Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation

Basically its a big event that is closing this chapter of the ultimate universe. Killing a bunch of major characters, cancelling a couple books, taking it as far from the standard 616 universe as possible. In the first issue they killed Nightcrawler, Dazzler, the population of Latveria, possibly Johnny Storm, and millions of other people. All because Quicksilver didn't realize that Magneto was Magneto(jumped in front of a bullet to save him). Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four are being cancelled, and Ultimate Avengers will start up again with Mark Millar in charge.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You know that you can work and occasionally look into forums? It's called multitasking, kiddo.

Otherwise, I'm not interested in reading Comics. Why are people so pissed about that? Go get a life lol.

so... if you have no interest in comics, why even bother posting in a comic book thread? :sorcerer:

Uh, may I not? Besides, I love seeing these hilarious reactions everytime I disagree with the tide.

so... if you have no interest in comics, why even bother posting in a comic book thread? :sorcerer:

Uh, may I not? Besides, I love seeing these hilarious reactions everytime I disagree with the tide.

Is that to be interpreted as intentional trolling? :bat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is that to be interpreted as intentional trolling? :bat:

Disagreeing with the tide now means trolling? Bah. That's just sad.

disagreeing is fine, but saying that people who do like comics need to get a life = trolling

No, people who complain about those not liking comics is trolling, not people who tell trolls to get a life.

Get a life, then. :lol:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: