AGDC: Bioware on making MMOs

Morgoth

Click

The 12th and final point was perhaps the least immediately practical. Walton praised Blizzard's reputation for consistent quality products -- "brands matter." He asked the crowd "who believes that there's more than three companies who you'll buy their games sight unseen?" Nobody raised their hands. His slightly depressing (if pragmatic) analysis? "You're not going to kick WoW's ass because you don't have a brand that's good enough to do it. Can you be competitive? Maybe."

So, in order to kick WoWs arse, they have to pull out a brand everyone recognizes? This can only be KOTOR Online he's talking about! Anyway, read it, and whatever it will be, Bioware at least seems to be committed not making another WoW clone. If they can make a MMO that's actually interesting to play and stands on it's own feet, I'll gladly be one of the Offline-worlders to give it a chance.

1) It doesn't sound to me that he's saying that it has be a brand everyone recognizes. He was talking about quality, afteralll.

2) Most people who launch an MMO don't launch one "to kick WoW's ass." Well, most rational developers.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There's no place alongside WoW for the big boys.

Yeah, there is. There's tons.

I'd be more inclined to think it would be Baldur's Gate if they were going to use a brand that everyone recognized. When BG2 it came out it was neck in neck with Diablo 2 in all the reviews...with BG2 normally getting the higher score.

KoToR is well known, but more well known for being on the Xbox than on the PC (though obviously it is also well known on the PC) so I'm not certain how well that brand would fare if they are going to try to beat WoW in people buying it sight unseen. Of course on the otherhand it DOES have the Star Wars brand with it, but I think a lot of those who would buy it might have a bad taste in their mouth from the treatment of Star Wars Galaxies.

People like me on the otherhand might at least try it out sight unseen, but sometimes I don't think my tastes flow with the majority of gamers.

I think the key to getting people like me to play online RPGs is to vet all the people you let in, not unlike the snobby resident's committee of a swish upper Manhattan apartment building.

OK, so my online realm would only turn over a hundred bucks a month, and there would only be about four people on it with an interest in hex-based wargames, Cuban cigars, sniper rifles and beer but at least we'd all be on the same page.

sonsofgygax.JPG

You guys. Clearly he's talking about a Halo MMO. I mean, let's look at the facts. Mass Effect? Microsoft Exclusive? Bungie.

Heh. My original thought was "Baldur's Gate MMO!" as well. It was then followed by "Wait! Perhaps Bioware is in league with Interplay in the developement of the Fallout MMO?" And then I cried at the thought of Bioware doing a Fallout game on any level.

Oh, but yeah. Brand recognition is definitely a good thing. SWG had mega sales at first, and a decent base before it went to hell. Ultima Online is STILL alive, despite all reason. But quality is truly what defines a game. I'd still rather play Dark Age of Camelot over most of the MMOs today, even at its current state.

Who told you it's a MS exclusive? That would be stupid for a MMO, considering that "MS exclusive" often entails "Xbox 360 exclusive". How would they be able to reach a bigger market then? Besides, WOW shows that PC games are stronger in the MMO space....are there any console MMOs available anyway?

Baldur's Gate, while recognized by many old-skool CRPG players, is by far not as well known as Kotor. Go over to the Bio boards and look how many played the BG series, and how many Kotor.

My money is either on KOTOR Online, a new IP, or maybe a Dragon Age Online.

It is going to be based in the KotOR time of the Star Wars universe. Star Wars Galaxies is done for the most part. Last I heard LucasArts is no longer giving Sony permission to do any more expansions so what they have now is it. I could be wrong, but with the popularity of KotOR series, and how XBox Live is set up I can see this being a cross platform XBox 360/Windows Vista MMO which allows the PC and consolers interact on the same servers in the Star Wars KotOR universe.

My issue is the rules system being used since the original KotORs use an offshoot of the d20 System. I am wondering if WotC will get in the mix with the MMO using a version of the SWSE rules. It could be interesting if they do.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually, you are all wrong. It's a new universe called Rumormill. You go around collecting speculation points and get traits like Reading Too Much Into It and Baseless Opinions. It's going to be an awesome MMO.

Why would I pay money for this?

Because you will be able to pretend to be a woman and have hairy geeks smother you with attention?

Please, God, can you grant me one favor, for once?

If any developper EVER thinks of a KotOR MMO and starts to make it, please burn them alive. It's all they deserve.

Thank you.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Please, God, can you grant me one favor, for once?

If any developper EVER thinks of a KotOR MMO and starts to make it, please burn them alive. It's all they deserve.

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity... Why would a KotOR MMO be such a bad thing?

L.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Who told you it's a MS exclusive? That would be stupid for a MMO, considering that "MS exclusive" often entails "Xbox 360 exclusive". How would they be able to reach a bigger market then? Besides, WOW shows that PC games are stronger in the MMO space....are there any console MMOs available anyway?

I never said it was MS Exclusive. I was just humorously following a broken chain of thought, relating Mass Effect to Halo and noting its exclusivity.

PSU and FFXI are currently available (and fully playable) on consoles.

Actually, you are all wrong. It's a new universe called Rumormill. You go around collecting speculation points and get traits like Reading Too Much Into It and Baseless Opinions. It's going to be an awesome MMO.

Why would I pay money for this?

Because you will be able to pretend to be a woman and have hairy geeks smother you with attention?

Sounds hot. Where do I sign up?

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

I never said it was MS Exclusive. I was just humorously following a broken chain of thought, relating Mass Effect to Halo and noting its exclusivity.

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Online_Adventures

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Online_Adventures

I thought they closed that down?

Guess not. I always wanted to try that, for some reason.

Edited by Nocte