MTW2 - Kingdoms XP

Monte Carlo

One cool feature is that you can install any of the campaigns independently with their own desktop icons.

Each campaign has it's own quirks, i.e. the English face the possibility of organised internal revolt (a bit like in the original MTW) the Teutons cannot build massive cities but can attract the Hanseatic League to earn big bucks, Aztecs can sacrifice captured armies to increase loyalty in their cities (etc).

I'm a bit nervous about the "Hero Units" (i.e. historical commanders), I associate hero units with crappy cartoony Warcraft-type games. We'll see how they pan out here.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am very curious to hear what you think of that XP Monte. I have sunk countless hours into MTW2 but to tell the truth it has never appealed to me as much as RTW did. But I am VERY psyched about Empire TW coming out next year. And I'm with Hurlshot, if they were to remake Shogun I'd buy it is a second.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have one question, though I hold little hope.

Is the AI any less retarded? Difference between mediocrity you can't let go and greatness you can't let go, really, for TW.

I'm loving it!

Be sure to download this mod if you want to play the grand campaign with all the new goodies provided by the XP:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2119551

Though it's an unofficial mod, it's created by the guy who made the Custom Campaign Mod for vanilla MTW2 -who is incidentally a Creative Assembly developer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I've always thought Rome TW was all the game I ever needed. I might pick up a new version of Shogun though, as that's a drastically different setting. Still, I'm sure it will rock, as all the TW games do.

yeah, I played Midevel 2 and found that it's the exact same game just iwth updated graphics and a few guild like things. I wish we could get Shogun back.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm a bit annoyed that the improvements for Kingdoms do not port over into the Grand Campaign and that you have to mod it instead (as above).

Anyway, I have tinkered with the Teutonic and Britannia campaigns and they are very good. The strategic challenges on the main map are quite tough if you are, for example, the Teutonic Order. This part of the game is much stronger than the combat which is very much like the vanilla version but with more, newer units.

Basically I am paying five pounds per very large, polished, strategically challenging mod. So I am quite happy, there are many hours of Total War gaming in this XP.

Incidentally, like others here, I think they should be remaking Shogun, not TW: Empires. Naval battles and the 18th Century leave me completely cold. It's a shame that the rumoured Tolkien-themed TW game that was murmured of years ago came to nothing, that would have rocked (anybody remember the SPI tabletop wargames based on LotR?).

Will add a review of the Britannia mod this weekend, but my initial feelings are that if you love Medieval then there is no reason not to love this XP... it's main strength is developing the strategic aspect of the game, really providing circumstances and choices that are much more period and faction specific.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I could never get into the strategic battle half of the Total War games and just stuck to the overland game which was a lot of fun itself. I'd like to see the total war guys do a game that focuses more on the overland aspect, kind of a mix between Civ, Total War, Europa Universalis, and Crusader Kings. Only fix the noble families. I really got sick of my freaking adopted nobles being the heir to the throne because the actual heir was too young. Or when the king's brother is the heir because the king's 4 sons are too young. It would be neat to arrange strategic marriages to put your king in line for a foreign throne, then along the line have the rival king assassinated so you inherit the throne.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have sunk countless hours into MTW2 but to tell the truth it has never appealed to me as much as RTW did. But I am VERY psyched about Empire TW coming out next year.

Empire TW is the game i wished they would make ever since I frst stumbld on the Total War games :thumbsup: I could never get into medieval or SHogun because the historical settings doesnt interest me at all.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But then, Oerwinde, the 'overland' portion is already done so, so much better by Paradox games or Civilisation. What makes TW 'unique' and a big seller is the fact that it combines overland with strategic battles (and the overland portion isn't as slow-paced and complex). Personally, I'd prefer that EU got itself a proper combat mode, since Creative Assembly have become incredibly, astoundingly lazy (the gap between RTW and MTW2 was like FIFA 2006 and FIFA 2007) and the awful AI really cheats the great game of a great experience.

The game is massive, it fills up 12 gb on my harddrive now. But so far I'm happy with my buy, Kindgom feels like a true expansion to the original game.

Can't wait for Empires either though, while I would love to see Shogun remade, I'm sure they'll make an excellent game with a naval setting.

Fortune favors the bald.

I read on the TW forums that one of the goals for Empires was to create a much more useful and complex diplomacy segment to the game. I hope they pull that off. Given the near parity of military power between the great continental powers of the time period, the need a good diplomacy engine to give the game even a little historical credibility. The fight first ask questions later of RTW would not make sense in 1800's Europe.

Monte/Leferd have you tried the Crusades campaign yet? That was the one I was most interested in.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wait, so they are making a modern TW game? Shame, I wanted Shogun 2.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It most likely will be, considering the period.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Sweden will most likely be playable aswell :unsure:

19030.jpg

Karl XI, who kicked the bum of many icky Danes

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Swedes are typically short, aren't you aware?

I have to agree with the ass-kickery though, Swedes have some insane war hero blood in them, even though most of them look like ponsies in the tousled wannabe-French attire.

kirottu said:

I have to agree with the ass-kickery though, Swedes have some insane war hero blood in them, even though most of them look like ponsies in the tousled wannabe-French attire.

Too bad their elite forces tended to be finnish, for example "hakkapeliitat" :):unsure:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Monte/Leferd have you tried the Crusades campaign yet? That was the one I was most interested in.

Yes, just had a couple of hours playing Kingdom of Jerusalem. I'd say that as a campaign it has (a) the most intriguing unit roster (specifically the levies and warrior orders of crusader knights, including Constable of Jerusalem heavy cavalry) and (B) probably the largest campaign map. Factions are; KoJ, Kingdom of Antioch, Turkey, Byzantium and Egypt. King Baldwin the Leper is I suppose my hero unit but he's basically a very good general (starts with two stars short of maximum). I'm a few turns off of Richard the Lionheart rocking up, which should happen by 1212 or thereabouts I suppose.

The AI seems better, but then again it might be the sharper distinction in unit types, i.e. Franks v. heavy units and Muslim factions light skirmishers / mounted archers. Seems even more noticable than in the vanilla game. There are more trade options, spying is significantly tougher, you get jihads thrown at you from Turn 2. I'm playing Hard / Hard.

The music is great, same as the original but I love the Muslim faction battle music. The lighting seems different in this campaign, almost a golden light filtering through the battle scenes. Dunno if it's tweaked but it looks nice.

Like I said, this game does what vanilla MTW2 can't do which is focus in on historically specfic scenarios that might not pan out in the campaign game. It's apples and oranges as to which is better, but I'm enjoying myself so far. I just wish I had more time to play!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Too bad their elite forces tended to be finnish, for example "hakkapeliitat" :p:thumbsup:

You don't hackapells to win a fight, but crazed Finnish sabre cavalry helps.

kirottu said: