Icewind dale 3

PrankTC

Maybe I'm just a bit clumsy, but combat in IE games and Fallout just were fun and tactically challenging. Combat in Kotor, Jade Empire, NWN2 etc. was rather dull and annoying.

It's not just you...it seems recent BRPGs (Bioware Role Playing Games and their Obsidian offshoots) have ditched the notion of fun and challenging combat and instead decided fully voiced dialog and romance will make up for it...WHY CAN"T WE HAVE BOTH???? In fact, I would prefer it if they ditched the romances altogether and concentrated on getting the combat right.

I wouldn't like to see an IWD3 on the NWN2 engine at all. It's just not a great engine as far as combat goes.

I wish someone would develop another engine ala the Gold Box and IE series that was capable of pumping out a couple of series of good CRPGs.

Romances? What romances?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Man, all these subraces and new classes lately make me wish I could use them in an IWD-style game, i.e. with a fully player-created party.

Can anyone be so kind as to mod Genasi, Warlocks, Favored Souls and Spirit Shamans into IWD2?

Edited by Pope

I too would like to see more strategy based role playing games like IWD and BG. I do not care for the engine now being used in NWN2 and would beg these guys to find or develop another one. (I promise to buy it.)

The trend toward interactive npcs is really irritating though. I have promised to kill the dwarf in NWN2 when I finally return to it. I know some people like that added level of immersion, but I actually hate it. I didn't finish Balder's gate 2 because of it. Well that and having my character yanked from my control to slaughter my companions.

I would love to play a nice game where I can create a party of my choosing and play it through with out having a bunch of npcs bickering like little children. I let Jehera (?) die in BG2 when she became unbearable over losing her coward husband. I guess some of the characters were okay as I think about them but having to drag along a bunch of useless characters rather than the ones I want really sucks.

I too would like to see more strategy based role playing games like IWD and BG. I do not care for the engine now being used in NWN2 and would beg these guys to find or develop another one. (I promise to buy it.)

The trend toward interactive npcs is really irritating though. I have promised to kill the dwarf in NWN2 when I finally return to it. I know some people like that added level of immersion, but I actually hate it. I didn't finish Balder's gate 2 because of it. Well that and having my character yanked from my control to slaughter my companions.

I would love to play a nice game where I can create a party of my choosing and play it through with out having a bunch of npcs bickering like little children. I let Jehera (?) die in BG2 when she became unbearable over losing her coward husband. I guess some of the characters were okay as I think about them but having to drag along a bunch of useless characters rather than the ones I want really sucks.

I'm honestly curious. Why not just play RTS games instead if you're more interested in strategy than characters?

There are even some strategy games based around RPG mechanics. The Final Fantasy Tactics games and I believe there's even a D&D Tactics game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

tale asked

I'm honestly curious. Why not just play RTS games instead if you're more interested in strategy than characters?

There are even some strategy games based around RPG mechanics. The Final Fantasy Tactics games and I believe there's even a D&D Tactics game.

Never said I liked rts games I said I liked the RTS style combat of IWD and BG. they have nothing to do ith the RTS model of build, mine, build, and die of the RTS.

I have played these types of game and they don't do it for me, they bite really hard.

Edited by Tlantl

I didn't mean explicitly RTS games, as you see I mentioned some RPG strategy games. But it does sounds as if you prefer units to characters.

Arr I see.

Actually I kind of like the Elderscrolls method of rpg design. I also like the concept of NWN but the method of execution is unappealing to me. I don't like not being able to do something because the designers chose a method that is overly confining, either due to bad decisions such as NWN the first, or because of technical limitations such as NWN2. Oblivion did that too and I list them as one of the offenders for dumbing down their game. I blame the limits of the consoles for some of this and separate world cells for the rest.

I can get plenty of role play from a game such as IWD, I don't need more from a bunch of bots following me around. They can have dialogue but I shouldn't be held hostage by it, especially if it is annoying or puerile.

If I am to be the leader of a group I want the group to work as a unit, not start attacking the druid because some obnoxious dwarf was caught in an entangle spell. If I have to have these ***holes in my party they should at least get along. If they are plot make them mute.

If this means I want a unit then so be it What I really want are characters that work as a unit. If an individual joins my group after I told that character I would help with one of their problems such as in BG I have role played with that character while she ids part of my group she needs to work with the rest, not argue because she doesn't like dwarves.

Oh by the way I really enjoyed Dungeon siege 2 the party banter was easily turned off the story was stupid and the game play was fast paced. There's a hybrid RTS/RPG that I liked but I can't remember the name of it.

I tried the farce called dragonstone it s*cked. I loved The Temple of Elemental evil though it ended before it should have.

Honestly, to me it doesn't look like you like the kind of RPGs Obsidian are known for at all. The examples of Dungeon Siege 2 and ToEE are games that are widely criticized on these boards for their lack of roleplaying. Personally I hope Obsidian stays away from those types of games and keep doing what they do best.

That is not to belittle your opinion of course. It's just as valid as mine. And I'm not even saying those are bad games. I haven't played DS2 (although I hated the first one) and while I hated much of ToEE, I have to admit the combat was good.

But to me it sound like what you're looking for are squad based tactical games like Fallout Tactics or Silent Storm (or Jagged Alliance 2 if you like older games). I really recommend you giving Silent Storm a try if you can find it. Fantastic game for anyone who likes squad based tacticals. So Is JA2, but it's a bit too old for me to be able to recommend it.

I think you will appreciate Final Fantasy Tactics as well, the tactical combat is great fun if you can get past the JRPG-styles and JRPG-story. But yes, you're probably looking for something different than Obsidian's core style.

I think you will appreciate Final Fantasy Tactics as well, the tactical combat is great fun if you can get past the JRPG-styles and JRPG-story. But yes, you're probably looking for something different than Obsidian's core style.

Everyone should appreciate that game. I might just buy a PSP for the port.

I found FFT to be pretty shallow compared to Tactics Ogre.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

*adds Pidesco to the list of people to cut*

You know you love me. :thumbsup:

Heja Sverige!!

gonna have to agree with this, although admittedly i only played the GBA versions

Tactics Ogre - quite an interesting story based around a fallen angel

FFT - starts off will a snowball fight...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

gonna have to agree with this, although admittedly i only played the GBA versions

Do not confuse Final Fantasy Tactics with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Advance isn't even a port, it's a new game. The original is much better and is being ported to PSP.

Tactics has a terrific plot revolving around the Zodiac stones and a Saint.

Edited by Tale

i'm just comparing the two i've played (neither of them being the playstation ones)

maybe FFT is great compared to Tactics Ogre, maybe not

but i know that compared to the Tactics Ogre game on GBA, FFTA is really quite pathetic

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Yes, but nobody in this thread is praising Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. So, making a comparison against it is moot.

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my top 5 games of all time. Tactics Advance? I can barely start that game. The whole "law" system is silly.

Edited by Tale

Do not confuse Final Fantasy Tactics with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Advance isn't even a port, it's a new game. The original is much better and is being ported to PSP.

It also has an atrocious translation that seriously impairs the enjoyment of the plot and the game.

Heja Sverige!!

Bahamut Lagoon was pretty good as well.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It also has an atrocious translation that seriously impairs the enjoyment of the plot and the game.

I never noticed the bad translation. I was having too much fun and enjoying the story.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Heh, I found the FFT translation completely atrocious, so I didn't really get any enjoyment out of the plot. The early PSX era for Square was completely urg. FFT/FF7/Xenogears get praised to crap, but I can't stand their localization.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

• 2 weeks later...

^

What that guy said..

J.