Bioshock!

Krookie

Jadda jadda jadda. Sure he makes music as well. The SS2 sountrack (where did you get it was done by a different artist?), Thief DS, the Freedom Forcre series, Tribes Vengeance. All great pieces for the most part.

Bioshock lacks a certain memorable something. It lacks the audial backbone that Brosius delivered so well. I never got the feeling in Bioshock I'm isolated, in an underwater city. Brosius easily could have pulled that off.

Edited by Morgoth

My SS2 soundtrack credits him for Engineering mp3 and two other tracks. Also, I didn't know he did the sound for Freedom Force. Not that I've played it. Or Tribes Vengeance outside the demo. I'll take what I said about he only making ambient back. I just didn't know.

(Jadda jadda section)

Where was there music in Thief:DS anyway? I remember a piano overture in the ambient track of Overlook Mansion and some creepy horns in the Cradle, but other than that...

As for the music not succeeding in delivery, I thought there was a sense of wonder, crisscrossed with a feeling of claustrophobia in the sound, a near constant feeling of ocean over you. But yeah, it did fail at parts, like Arcadia and Wharves where I didn't even feel I was underwater. As a counterpoint, Brosius, while near genius, does have his lapses as well. Like for example the dock section of Deadly Shadows where I didn't know whether to be scared or just annoyed, or the completely lack of consistent themes in that game, though that could be blamed on the design being patchy from the start.

Goddamn it feels odd finding stuff to critic from your favorite games.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Do you prefer some annoying hardrock soundtrack the entire time? Ambient wins in the -Shock games, still Bioshock couldn't even succeed on that level. It was solid work, but there was nothing outstanding, eerie, crawling, heartstopping or pressing that I felt in SS2 or the Thief games the whole time. Also, ambient sound was done from someone different (forgot the name) than the actual music (Gary Shyman...good work). I'm just not quite so happy with the new Audio Director that Irrational hired.

Edited by Morgoth

I love the Thief soundtrack. It gives shivers and oozes ambience.

Where was there heartstopping crawling parts in SS2? In med/sci with the pounding techno beat?

Hahhah, now that you look at those two sentences, you can easily see where my fan loyalties lie. I thought the indrustial rock worked superbly in the Thief intros and was disappointed when Thief 3 didn't have it. Anyway, SS2's soundtrack harped on me constantly. I turned it off when playing the second time, since I always got into a killing frenzy with the looping actions tracks. Which wasn't a bad thing considering the whole ship was hostile, but not my idea of ambience. I remember one piece in the Rec deck in SS2, I think it was the Garden, where I was on my toes because the track was so chilling, but apart from that the game left me cold.

About this new guy, well I liked Bioshock's delivery, but I have no doubt that it was Brosius that seasoned the game with those quirky bits like broken jukebox jazz pieces and crass commercial notes that blared on you. I loved those. I hope the new guy, I have to dig up his name(Can you?), keeps going solidly.

Edit: Also, I edit way too much. Good night for now.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The "action" songs in SS2 (like the one triggered in Med/Sci), were awful. The rest were pretty great. I mean, you're creeping along scared out of your wits, you've just seen the first ghost, and suddenly, it's like you're in a disco.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh yeah the Ghost scenes. Did anyone else think they weren't scary in Bioshock at all?

And Mus, I kept the soundtrack in SS2 off alltogether. Brosius succeeded in the ambient sound, however.

Edit: This new "guy" is a woman called Emily Ridgway. She's the new Audio Director of Irrational.

Anyway, Eric Brosius wins, nonetheless.

Edited by Morgoth

By the way, why is it that the only start menu icon, Bioshock creates is a Windows Media Center thingy? It forces me to go into the programs folder to start the game.

Heja Sverige!!

Sure. I just found it odd. If this happened to someone like, say, my sister, it would be the same as to make the game unplayable.

Heja Sverige!!

Nothing in games is scary unless it has the ability to kill your character or makes you think it does.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In that case, Bioshock was a pretty boring game. You're unkillable.

Because a game is either scary or boring, amirite?

I'm to smuggler's hideout, and suddenly, since I got the camera, I'm dying a lot more. On purpose. Just now I just stood in front of a turret and took three pictures of it while it wailed on me. By the way, I didn't die. I'm playing on hard.

So far the game seems to suffer from three problems. First, you can't walk, second the battles are way too easy, and third there are too many battles. The atmosphere of the game is pretty well done, but it's kind of hard to appreciate it when you're circle strafing.

Anyway, it's 3 in the morning so I'm going to sleep.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

I know.

Heja Sverige!!

Bioshock needs a lax tabacco merchant like this.

n2063780_41910124_1553.jpg

"Greetings, What can I offer you today, dear Sir?"

That is so last week. The dog is selling Metroid Prime 3, now.