MassMffect Q & A @ Gamespy

Volourn

Evil options are for fat babies and should be abolished for any game beyond blatantly fairytale fare such as Fable. The idea that an RPG must allow the player to act out his or her sociopathic fantasies is a strange aberration in game design, either owed wholly to the popularity of the D&D license in the late '90s/early 00's or owed to some developer's misconstruement of the gaming public's love for the gruff, anti-hero (as opposed to shining golden lad). Provide at least one badass response that makes sense in the context of the situation/conversation, and the vast majority of players will be happy.

I'm saying essentially that players want to be Clint Eastwood or Gregory House, M.D., a lot more than they want to be, I dunno, Snidely Whiplash, or the Wicked Witch of the West, or Hitler, or whoever. Or even Darth Vader, I bet. YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

Guest The Architect

Why not just allow both options? Why not allow the player to be either a psychopathic jerk that enjoys committing violent acts, or an evil jerk who is much more conniving and clever? Is there a reason why this can't be? I ask why because my knowledge and experience of playing role-playing games, understanding game developing technicalities an all is quite frankly, very poor.

Edited by The Architect

Well, I can't fault you for being wrong.

No, no, I can, I can. You're so wrong. Take MGS3, for example. Snake's a badass, sure, but I think it'd be much more fun to play as Volgin, or Ocelot, or any one of the Cobras, cruelly manipulating and being **** without some greater good in mind. I don't want my character to be bland, capable badass Snake, I want my character to be able to control hornets and tanks with his mind, goddamnit. But that's only half of it, because if my character is the villain then Snake would try to stop me. What's so great about saving the world for the hundredth time when I can destroy it? Why be the Vault Dweller when you can be the Master? It's a roleplaying goldmine. It's something nobody's really tried. It's something that they should try.

Edited by Pop

When it comes to RPGs, you trade depth for breadth or breadth for depth. The reason a game like NWN is so shallow compared to PS:T is that it spends its time trying to give the player the panoply of choices they'd get in a PnP. If you limit those choices - say, to male, hideously scarred immortal who can only be one of three classes - you no longer have to sit down and make a druid/ranger sidequests, some elf specific reactions/dialogue, a female PC romance, and a story that 'works' no matter what your character's history.

Likewise, if you allow the PC to be good, evil, or pragmatic, you have to have a motivation that's 'universal' or three different motivations. You have to either have NPCs react to your three possible alignments differently, or mostly ignore it. You have to have different quest endings for different actions taken (did he free the slaves? sell them? kill them? let a few go and planted others to spy on his enemies?).

I prefer games like V:tM - Bloodlines, that doesn't spend its time trying to figure out how good or evil your actions are. Even as someone who almost always ends up on the 'so many lightside points sunshine is streaming out of their ass' side of the divide, the need to divide the PC actions into good/evil bores me.

I don't see anything wrong with providing psychotic choices. I see something wrong with people using the psychotic choices, breaking the story line, and complaining. I see an RPG developer's job as providing you with meaning choices and realistic consequences, not allowing you to 'win' the game no matter what choice you make.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

How's *this* for great conversation choices:

me003.jpg

Haha.

Too bad that's fake picture. I just love those almost slapstick type of options. Even if I don't remember anything else about NWN2 in 5 years, I'm sure I remember conversation options in Bard contest. I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt for days :shifty:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I think my general feeling is that game often include lots of "token" evil choices. It's as many of you say, where the evil you do doesn't every do any greater evil. You stab a guy and take his wallet, and no one remembers after ten minutes of gameplay. I'm a fan of not making players take the boyscout path, even though a majority of players do want to be do-gooders. I would love to see more of the "Evil Plan" approach, where a character's evil options moved towards one goal, whether it was the subtle control of those around him, hiding a set of nefarious motives or just using others to build their own power.

I would also love to see a sliding scale of dialog responses to account for players who wish to go one way or the other. For example, in ME, the player always has three options. It would be great if the game actually had five responses it could show the player (Super good, Good, Neutral, Evil, Super Evil), and based on the player's previous choices, they could get choices that fit who their character had become. This is, of course, much more work, and herein we find the main reasons why many games don't offer deep, meaningful choices in dialogs. Subtle evil is not only hard to pull off in one dialog, its nearly impossible to build into a coherent evil strategy at every turn unless doing so is a main objective of the game.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Writing dialogue is something only a handful of people can do well, but BioWare needs to improve theirs. A good start would be to change the "evil path" from a bastardly, petty and mean evil to a cynical, intelligent evil. Less schoolyard bully and more Machiavellian

My neighbour promised me he'd lend me his chipped 360 to play it with :shifty:

No mony for BioWare! ..until it's released for the PC :shifty:"

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"For example, in ME, the player always has three options."

Actually, it has a minimum of 3 options. The dialogue circle can have up to 6 options.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nah. Just a fanboy geek who knows too much espicially consideirng I don't even post on the ME baords all that much. In fact, I probably have more ME related posts here then there. :shifty:

Anyways, having the ability to choose how the PC can act in as many different ways as possible is always the better option.

Nah. Just a fanboy geek who knows too much espicially consideirng I don't even post on the ME baords all that much. In fact, I probably have more ME related posts here then there. :shifty:

Anyways, having the ability to choose how the PC can act in as many different ways as possible is always the better option.

I agree. The above suggestion is for when the design limits the number of choices to a smaller number. The only problem with a full host of choices every time is that it tends to lead to lots of choices that make it very difficult for a NPC to react to in a meaningful way. If I choose to shoot a person instead of finding their lost puppy, but then walk across a room and give a girl 30 gold cause someone stole her candy, the girl is probably not going to react in a way that makes much sense.

This does sound good. I am eagerly awaiting the PC version.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I disagree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't desire a game where we can act as many ways as possible. I see no value in allowing the Player to have the PC urinate into a glass and then drink the contents.

I'm one of those "do-gooder" gamers. I'm not ashamed in the least about it. I can understand, however, that some gamers want broader moral choice. That's all well and good. I agree with the notion that there should be a meaningful evil option, if there must be such an option in the first place.

Much more important than complete freedom, for me at least, is that the world reflects what I've done in some sort of way. If developers can make a game where our actions have some significant impact on our interaction with NPCs, then the experience will transcend something so trite as a "good v evil" option. We will have options. Whether the option we choose is good or evil should not be the immediate concern. Moral? Maybe. Ethical? To some. Logical? Hopefully. Part of an overarching plan? If the player so desires.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I disagree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't desire a game where we can act as many ways as possible. I see no value in allowing the Player to have the PC urinate into a glass and then drink the contents.

I'm one of those "do-gooder" gamers. I'm not ashamed in the least about it. I can understand, however, that some gamers want broader moral choice. That's all well and good. I agree with the notion that there should be a meaningful evil option, if there must be such an option in the first place.

Much more important than complete freedom, for me at least, is that the world reflects what I've done in some sort of way. If developers can make a game where our actions have some significant impact on our interaction with NPCs, then the experience will transcend something so trite as a "good v evil" option. We will have options. Whether the option we choose is good or evil should not be the immediate concern. Moral? Maybe. Ethical? To some. Logical? Hopefully. Part of an overarching plan? If the player so desires.

Who are you disagreeing with? I had just stated that my problem with broad amounts of choices is that NPC's often fail to react to anything but the most recent choice that was made, therefore making the world entirely unresponsive.

Then perhaps I'm not disagreeing with you. ...Or perhaps I was just trying my hand at uninating in a cup.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Use a 20 ounce Mountain Dew bottle.

From whence it came, to where it flows...

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Well, from what I understand, the options just show the gist of your meaning. The actual dialogue has considerably more meat.

Obsidian Plays

Yeha; but Llyr wants novels.

Me? i'm in between. I'd much prefer to read exactly what my PC is gonna say. That's my main beef with the dialogue, thus far.

The dialogue system for ME does suck, but that is the way it is. Don't like it? Don't buy the game.

Edited by Sand

So?

is tough to draw conclusions 'bout entire dialogue system based 'pon a single screenie. that being said, one wonders why gamespy or bio or whomever chose that particular screenie to shows to potential future purchasers.

*shrug*

me confuses Gromnir. based on feedback from bio and from articles we gots so little interest in me that we might even concludes that we gots more interest in obsidian's aliens project. however, every person we knows who has actually seen and or played some portion o' me seems to rave 'bout it. not makes sense.

oh well.

oh, and we thinks that josh would be disappointed with bullock

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)