Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: The Shivering Isles review

Meshugger

Linky!

Pro's:

- A new non-Tolkienesque world.

- Funnier quests

- Supposedly more consequenses for your actions.

Con's:

- Same soundtrack.

- Same ugly faces.

- No horses.

- New Oblivion gates(Obelisks).

- Same weird level-adjustment?

Overall, sounds good enough for me. Oblivion is my favourite action/adventure game after Zelda, and it sounds like this one won't fail either (or not so much).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They needed to severely rework the leveling system in that game. I probably won't be getting the expansion. Overall, Oblivion was just to consolized for my tastes.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Oh, i forgot. The Interface is still sh***y as well. But the mods will take care of that.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I rather not depend on mods to make a game palatable.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

For me it worked. Fixed LOD, High-res textures, removable compass, better interface, better level-scaling, new enemies and weapons, better balance between attributes and skills, made Oblivion an almost different game for me.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Which mods do you use, Mesh, and do you know if they will continue to work with the expansion?

Out today I think. At least in the US.

Which mods do you use, Mesh, and do you know if they will continue to work with the expansion?

Since i don't have the expansion yet, i can't tell about Shivering Isles. But i do have Knights of the Nine addon with the patch that was included. All my mods work up until patch 1.2, which i haven't tried yet.

The mods that i am using are:

- Oscuro's Oblivion overhaul (Biggest one, changes the gameplay completely for the better, check this page for further detail.)

- Landscape texture and LOD package (Changes all landscape-textures from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048, linky.)

- Interface mod, with several different options. Linky.

- Keychain mod, tired of 122 different keys in your inventory? Try this.

- Keymapping mod, a must have for a sorcerer. Get it from here.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I think it is great that a dedicated community has created so many good mods, although less so it seems than with Morrowind. OOO is outstanding though, as good as anything that was done for MW. But I feel a game shoould be able to stand on its own and not depend on mods to make it good. Oblivion does stand on its own, but it certainly teeters quite a bit.

I'm sure I will buy the expansion eventually, but no rush for me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Thanks for the links, Meshie! :thumbsup:

No problem :thumbsup:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"Funnier quests"? I had about as much Bethesda humor as I could stand every time a wood elf gave me a quest in Oblivion. I want to play something Lovecraft insane, not Lewis Carroll insane.

I'd check it out regardless, but my copy of Oblivion is a 360 version, so I don't get mods, and thus the game isn't worth much to play.

Edited by Pop

1.2 has improved LOD textures, btw, so maybe try them out.

I reckon Bethesda should get some credit for user-made mods. They did put the effort into the construction kit which is part of what you pay for, so the result of that work shouldn't be entirely stricken from the record. Anyway I didn't like Oblivion all that much after my initial feverish 20hr playthrough, the levelling system is just odd. I will say that the game is a triumph of atmosphere, if it were only coupled with some decent writing and a better game system it would be legendary. That's not what Beth really set out to do though, sandbox games are probably the hardest of all to make...you have to please everyone.

They needed to severely rework the leveling system in that game. I probably won't be getting the expansion. Overall, Oblivion was just to consolized for my tastes.

Thank God for OOO. It's too bad the idiots at Bethesda still haven't realized their leveling system sucks.

Linky!

Pro's:

- A new non-Tolkienesque world.

- Funnier quests

- Supposedly more consequenses for your actions.

Con's:

- Same soundtrack.

- Same ugly faces.

- No horses.

- New Oblivion gates(Obelisks).

- Same weird level-adjustment?

Overall, sounds good enough for me. Oblivion is my favourite action/adventure game after Zelda, and it sounds like this one won't fail either (or not so much).

Sold it to me, too. I just like the game a lot.

Although no horses=no Shadomere, who has provided many laughs. Soundtrack doesn't really matter, I've long since replaced it with my own selection of mp3's, which improves everything, IMO.

So has anyone played it? Or will play it, rather? I doubt I can stomach going back to Oblivion but I'd like to know what they did with the story/quests, and if Sheogorath is actually funny.

Edited by Tigranes

It's weird. When I played Oblivion I loved it, despite every dungeon being the same and the levels becoming useless after a while. But now, when this expansion comes out, I just don't see myself returning to Oblivion. It's like the flaws of the game were too great for me to ever bother with it again, even though I liked the game while I was playing it. Like I said, weird.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm exactly the same. I had lots of fun with Oblivion, but the mere thought of playing it again makes me grit my teeth. It's probably because I played it for a bit too long trying to grind in a few extra levels before giving up on capping the character and just finished the damn game.

When i first saw the screenshots! I was amazed! And i thought? Why there is a giant mushroom or whatsoever standing from the ground? It really shine when you move into the realm! but how do you get there? when you install the X-pansion pack, a rumor spreads out in the original realm (Cyrodiil) About a portal - follow the rumor and you ll finish of in the realm OF MADDNESS!!

What i liked about this X is that it has it's own storyline, and it has new items, new stuff like spells and wierd new characters!

The terrain and nature are nice, but dangerous to walk around, cause of the new creatures! Yeah and the Prince Of Madness (or whatever his name was) gives you stupid missions (that i leave mostly) but i play most of the side quests! OBLIVION ROCKS!!!

Let Me Play Somemore to add somestuff or hints

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

*pounces on Llyranor and shoves prozac down his throat!*

FOR THE GOOD OF ALL! :*