My results with pickpocketing in NWN 2

Rhomal

I was using Neeshka to pickpocket the weaponsmith in the docks. Just to try it out and see what happens. Wasn't overly exciting as she was grabbing around 20 to 30 gold a pop. Then about my 10th success she pilfered the Gladiators sword. (A +2 longsword with d6 acid damage). I have tried a few dozen times more at both the weaponsmith and armorsmith in the docks with nothing more then a few dozen gold since. Either this was a very rare event or I am not sure what else to make of it.

Has anyone else had success using rogue skills as such?

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I have to say I've always plumbed the skill points into killin' skills. The kit eventually turns up anyway.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The only game where I found stealing fun was in Darkstone, and that was because it was silly over-easy fun, with a few really useful items only to be had by stealing.

Can't speak for NWN2, but in all other games that had stealing as a skill, it never seemed to add anything to (my) game experience other than patience aggravation, with little truly interesting reward, so I'd skip it. I do like "sneaking" to get past situations w/out fighting, tho. All that said, if anyone has found any unique items via stealing in NWN2, I'm all ears. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The only game I bothered to steal things in was in Baldur's Gate 2. I'd pump my pickpocket skills to where I could steal a merchants entire inventory right out from under him without him noticing. >_<

Never bothered pickpocketing in NWN2, but I remember it as a lot of fun in the IE games. You could often get stuff that was unavailable elsewhere in the game by pickpocketing NPCs - I remember in particular getting some good stuff in Kuldahar in IWD.

I find magic items to be a little bit boring in D&D 3rd edition - they just don't seem to have the personality of the 1st/2nd edition stuff and come across as little more than statistics to me.

The only games where I've bothered using pickpocketing are Fallout (because thats how you transfer inventory between party members) and Planescape: Torment where Annah usually robs everything with two arms blind, never mind how many legs and/or tentacles they may have.

Never really bothered with it in the BG and NWN games, nor do any other spring to mind at the moment, the rewards jsut doesn't seem to justify the risks...

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My friend got a +10 healing kit from Judge Olef in the Church, but I haven't tried much otherwise. I did pump Kip's pickpocketing and Skill Focus: Sleight of Hand but he didn't get anything from people at the village fair.

I know the devs said IWD2 had some funky items that you could only get by pickpocketing, but I ain't sure if NWN2's the same.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Never really bothered with it in the BG and NWN games, nor do any other spring to mind at the moment, the rewards jsut doesn't seem to justify the risks...

IIRC, there are currently no repercussions for a failed pickpocket check in NWN2, even if the target Spots your attempt.

BTW, Gamefaqs has a detailed pickpocketing guide in its NWN2 section.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who generally ignores pickpocketing. :yucky:

Thanks for that info, avenger - I try to avoid big plot/quest spoilers before finishing a game at least once, but lists like that I like. Helps me decide whether or not I may want to spend time tinkering with certain skills/things.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

and Planescape: Torment where Annah usually robs everything with two arms blind, never mind how many legs and/or tentacles they may have.

That was actually a major source of income for me in Sigil. I always make sure I pickpocket every single living thing in Clerks Ward. (Some fragile-looking ladies there turned out to be carrying a battleaxe though... :lol:)

The battleaxes are for keeping thier husbands in line...

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Pickpocketing is rather useless. There just aren't places where you can use it for any great effect and I don't think there are items you can find/buy/steal that are significantly better than items you can craft. I'm still thinking about how to make this skill actually useful, without being a sort of 'fail and reload' mechanic.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Pickpocketing is rather useless. There just aren't places where you can use it for any great effect and I don't think there are items you can find/buy/steal that are significantly better than items you can craft. I'm still thinking about how to make this skill actually useful, without being a sort of 'fail and reload' mechanic.

1 skill + potential feats + ingredients to craft (with seperate skills for different types of things to craft)

1 skill to pickpocket + free money

for the win

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

IIRC, there are currently no repercussions for a failed pickpocket check in NWN2, even if the target Spots your attempt.

BTW, Gamefaqs has a detailed pickpocketing guide in its NWN2 section.

oohh thanks for the linky. Very interesting list.

Surprisingly only a few peeps really have items worth pilfering. hhhmmm... by lvl 8 or 9 having a rogue is moot as there are other ways to open chests and traps don't do enough by then to kill your PC

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I used pick-pocket with Neeshka only once, and it was successful and very helpful:

In the collector's mansion, which I tried and accomplished to complete in a sneaky manner, I let Neeshka steal the key from the collector's girlfriend.

[edit]added spoiler-tags

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Pickpocket was completely overpowered in Fallout, of course. SoA had some nice stuff in areas, but then you could steal the shop's inventory easily.

Actually, I would really like to see Fallout / TES style shops come back - a merchant does not keep his inventory suspended in an interdimensional hole, it is always going to be somewhere with the appropriate safeguards.