Supreme Commander the Demo

Hildegard

I checked it out at work, I like TA, and SC is a nice progression, but in all honesty, alot of the supposed WOW factor wasn't there, I was looking at some of the ships and frankly they're just textured polygons at a distance, and it ran like a pig on my work machine so... I'll probably pick it up, but... It's got issues in terms of FPS.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I tried it but I didn't enjoy it much. The interface made me feel claustrophobic.. like I was stuck somewhere looking out a little window. The two missions that were included weren't very exciting and the story line didn't interest me -- it definitely didn't make me want to buy the game.

I tried it but I didn't enjoy it much. The interface made me feel claustrophobic.. like I was stuck somewhere looking out a little window. The two missions that were included weren't very exciting and the story line didn't interest me -- it definitely didn't make me want to buy the game.

Since when was a story line a draw for TA or Supreme Commander?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The thing I didn't like in the demo is I couldn't do anything without 2x the number the enemy had. They've got tech 1 fighters, so do I! I send out 5 to take out their 5, they lose 1, I lose 5.

Maybe it's just the way the army is set up, en masse, it's not unheard of. However, it turned assaulting positions into lagfests on my computer.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The enemy air units are what always get me. I can handle the ground units as for some reason the skirmish AI seems to like simply massing T1 assault bots which are easily taken out by half their number in Mantis, or even just 3 rhinos. The problems I've been having are coming from the enemy T2 gunships. My interceptors can take them out, but they run out of fuel and ammunition and it takes forever to rebuild if you don't have a refueling pad.

I've been quite enjoying my time with the demo so far, but I still have a lot to learn. It's really quite different from a lot of other RTS games. The economy isn't just "set it up and forget it" like most others. The basic mass extractors need to upgraded whenever you get the opportunity. Mass extractors are by far much better than mass fabricators. A T3 mass extractor is a huge target. For almost no energy expenditure you get 12 mass generation compared to a T3 mass fabricator which generates 24 mass, but also uses 1500 energy. The AI seems to have it's priorities straight at least in that it is targeting my resource production before anything else.

So far I've lost three games in a row to the hard skirmish AI, all for different reasons. The first time I lost was because my commander thought he could take on a monkeylord by himself. My commander did indeed kill the monkeylord, but only because his destruction unleashed a nuclear blast that leveled 3/4 of my base. I wasn't prepared for any experimental units as I'd tried to build one against an easy oponent, but for some reason it would let me even though I had T3 engineers. My second game was lost because I couldn't keep my economy running with the constant attacks by enemy gunships on my mass extractors. Finally, my most recent game I tried establishing forward defensive locations at the "chokepoints" with shield generators, but I lost one of those locations when I couldn't get any air defenses up fast enough to counter the enemy gunships. Once the shield was down the enemy started marching through with T3 assault bots and I decided to quit. It felt as though I was only delaying the inevitable. I may have been able to win if I had stayed and attempted to finish my own monkeylord, but at that point I only had enough resources to finish building it or to switch over to base defense. <_<

Since when was a story line a draw for TA or Supreme Commander?

It hasn't, which is dissapointing since having a good engaging story makes for a better game. I enjoyed TA more than I enjoyed the Supreme Comander demo. TA just had a better feel to it.

The thing I didn't like in the demo is I couldn't do anything without 2x the number the enemy had. They've got tech 1 fighters, so do I! I send out 5 to take out their 5, they lose 1, I lose 5.

I had a similar problem -- ground turrets are just too powerful. It took me a long time to build up a significant fleet to destroy the last two bases in the second mission of the demo. On the other hand, I was completely invincible to any attacks they threw at me because of my own turrets. There was nothing fun or exciting about it.. just waiting and more waiting for the battle to finish. Maybe it's different in skirmish..

I had a similar problem -- ground turrets are just too powerful. It took me a long time to build up a significant fleet to destroy the last two bases in the second mission of the demo. On the other hand, I was completely invincible to any attacks they threw at me because of my own turrets. There was nothing fun or exciting about it.. just waiting and more waiting for the battle to finish. Maybe it's different in skirmish..

What difficulty did you play the campaign on? I went through it on easy for a first run and unfortunately haven't been able to make a second run through yet because it keeps screwing up, but on easy at least it takes surprisingly few units to eliminate the last two bases.

What difficulty did you play the campaign on? I went through it on easy for a first run and unfortunately haven't been able to make a second run through yet because it keeps screwing up, but on easy at least it takes surprisingly few units to eliminate the last two bases.

I don't remember changing the difficulty setting so it should have been what the default was. I uninstalled it afterwards due to a lack of continuing interest so I can't go back and check.

What units did you attack with? I was going to send over my army of tanks but decided it wasn't worth the bother of transporting them. Instead I ended up ammassing a few large groups of bombers (I had 8 or so air bases at the end) and launched my attack when I had enough to outlive their AA guns -- massive death ensued.

Edited by LostStraw

What units did you attack with? I was going to send over my army of tanks but decided it wasn't worth the bother of transporting them. Instead I ended up ammassing a few large groups of bombers (I had 8 or so air bases at the end) and launched my attack when I had enough to outlive their AA guns -- massive death ensued.

I used about 8 T2 tanks, 8 T2 artillery and 4 T2 AA. I tried attacking with bombers earlier in the match but my bombers were always chewed to pieces before they could do any real damage.

Hey all

I think a lot of people are missing the point of Supreme Commander. The game is not about single units,

it's about thousands of units. Base D is designed to be powerfully, remember it not just a few power units that

will be coming your way. This game is not designed to play like C&C, the whole game works on a much grander scale.

Storming a base will not work in this game as the D will kill you, you have to think about everything you do. You

have to plan everything, otherwise you will get creamed. The demo does not really do this game justice. Remember the

maps in the full game will be 80km x 80 km and some games can take all day to play. I was in the multiplayer beta,

just wait till you play with really people. That is when this game shines :thumbsup:

Just wait and give it a try, you will love it

Steelchain

Hey all

I think a lot of people are missing the point of Supreme Commander. The game is not about single units,

it's about thousands of units. Base D is designed to be powerfully, remember it not just a few power units that

will be coming your way. This game is not designed to play like C&C, the whole game works on a much grander scale.

Storming a base will not work in this game as the D will kill you, you have to think about everything you do. You

have to plan everything, otherwise you will get creamed. The demo does not really do this game justice. Remember the

maps in the full game will be 80km x 80 km and some games can take all day to play. I was in the multiplayer beta,

just wait till you play with really people. That is when this game shines :)

Just wait and give it a try, you will love it

Steelchain

Unfortunately for myself my computer can barely handle a hundred units let alone a thousand. :thumbsup:

Well i am not really a fan bot, i was just in the beta and know how it works. Just wanted to spread the love

It's okay. Please ignore any and all posts claiming that you are a bot. Some posters just can't seem to tell the difference for some reason. :(

And is it just me or does the skirmish AI in Supreme Commander fail to actually do anything on any difficulty below hard? Going from medium where the AI attacks you with maybe 2 ships every 15 minutes starting at the 30 minute mark, to hard where about 10 minutes in you start getting harassed by T2 gunships can be a little jarring.

Yeah the AI in the demo is set to balanced mode. In the full game you can make it do what

ever you want. From what i can remember they have Rush, Tech , balanced and more AI modes.

So you can have a rush war or a high level tech stand off. The demo is easy so they can get

more people to play it. Also the small map make it hard for the AI to do everything it wants to

do. Which gives you time to kill it.

Yeah the AI in the demo is set to balanced mode. In the full game you can make it do what

ever you want. From what i can remember they have Rush, Tech , balanced and more AI modes.

So you can have a rush war or a high level tech stand off. The demo is easy so they can get

more people to play it. Also the small map make it hard for the AI to do everything it wants to

do. Which gives you time to kill it.

If only it was that simple. I'm a turtle at heart so the high level tech stand off really appeals to me. I look at a game like this and figure what's the point in the early units? I want to see the big behemoths lumbering over the battlefield not these piddly little T1 assault bots that get killed in a split second. This attitude doesn't really work against the demo AI on hard, because they seem to want to attack me early on. :mellow:

Edited by Deraldin

• 2 weeks later...

So my brother just bought a copy. He likes RTS games, so that's his cup of tea. Given that a coop campaign was on the feature list back when I was paying attention to the game, I quickly looked it up to see what's up with that.

So they removed the coop campaign. What the bloody heck?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)