NWN2 Modding project

Guard Dog

Since this isn't actually my thread, I'm going to stop answering questions now.  When I have more to show, I'll start a new thread specifically about the campaign.

Don't stop on my account. This project looks great and I'd love to hear whatever you have to say. Besides, the title just says "NWN2 Modding project" that is what you are doing.

Yes, be our guest! >_<

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Woot, always wanted to see your handiwork, JE, and what's shown so far is very exciting indeed. I like the epithet idea as a means of transferring reputation, undoubtedly it makes the scenario design much more modular. The icons also look good, though I'm not enough of an artist to know whether they were done by hand or photo manip :)

Would be very interested in seeing some sample dialogue, too. Mayhaps in another thread!

To the FRW modders - how is the NWN 2 Editor working out for you guys, performance wise? I was planning to make some mods myself, but the editor runs pretty sluggishly on my computer, and the learning process has, therefore, been pretty slow. I assumed that the problem was a lack of memory (my video card is 256MB & my comp has 1G) - does the editor run much faster with more RAM?

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Woot, always wanted to see your handiwork, JE, and what's shown so far is very exciting indeed.  I like the epithet idea as a means of transferring reputation, undoubtedly it makes the scenario design much more modular.  The icons also look good, though I'm not enough of an artist to know whether they were done by hand or photo manip :)

Thanks. It's all heavy photo manipulation done in Photoshop using the skew tools, layers, heavy color re-balancing, filters, and other tricks.

Would be very interested in seeing some sample dialogue, too.  Mayhaps in another thread!

Since Guard Dog gave me the go-ahead, I'll post a sample that I may have posted way back when. I have a tendency to write pretty dry characters, but this guy is a little out of the ordinary. In the campaign, you have the opportunity to meet a lot of Sembians, many of them members of the Silver Ravens. At one location, you can come across a group of Silver Ravens involved in a standoff with a group of Red Wizards. Out of personal pride, neither group wants to break the standoff despite the fact they they are out in the middle of nowhere. One of the Sembians is this intense dude named Guelfa who is seething with rage over the murder of a comrade by the Thayans. If you ask him why he's so worked up, he goes off on a bit of a rant.

The Thayans.  The Thayans.  I will peel the malodorous skin from their blasted frames in due time for killing my kin and countrymen.  When I left Saerloon, I was venturing for the trade gold of Archenbridge.  I will bring home the coin of vengeance, minted in their defiled, primitive, barbarous, ugly, pig-scrawled, mud-painted, magic-poxed hides!

When a man fights a man, he does it with honor, blade to flesh.  The Thayans used eldritch storms to kill my cousin and Ricci's schoolmate.  They are not men, but whores of the occult and wretches of dishonor.  It is well enough that their women also go bald, since they are no better, simply the mud-brown bitches to the red curs of Thay.

They are lower than dirt, and just a shade lighter.  Unsightly, hairless worms that dig their insidious tunnels through the soil of every land to which they spread, uninvited.  They bring only iniquity and maledictions, leave only weakness.  Spineless, untrue, selfish corruptors, one and all.  Had I the hand of Hoar as my own for but a moment, I would drown them in the Sea of Fallen Stars where they could not voice the words that undo nations!

More of a monologue than a dialogue, I suppose, but it's the most colorful thing I have on hand.

So here's another question for Josh: Given that it's going to take a year or two by your estimates, do you plan on incorporating any new community material that becomes available during that time? Weapons, enemies, random crap, etc.? Sounds like you'll be well into it during the cresting period of mod activity.

*edit - hey, this post ain't mad.

I bet you're going to make me the new Noober (that's the guy's name, right?), given my incessant VB questions.

Edited by Pop

I have already made this suggestion to Sawyer, but I wanted to share it with the rest of you guys. If, at some point, Josh needs some voice actors for his modules' dialogues, I am pretty sure that many of people on these boards (including myself) would be happy to contribute. It will increase the module's quality and make it look even more professional.

I am pretty sure that, with our creativity and imagination, we could get some good results. We could try various english accents, funny voices, etc...

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The Thayans.  The Thayans.  I will peel the malodorous skin from their blasted frames in due time for killing my kin and countrymen.  When I left Saerloon, I was venturing for the trade gold of Archenbridge.  I will bring home the coin of vengeance, minted in their defiled, primitive, barbarous, ugly, pig-scrawled, mud-painted, magic-poxed hides!

When a man fights a man, he does it with honor, blade to flesh.  The Thayans used eldritch storms to kill my cousin and Ricci's schoolmate.  They are not men, but whores of the occult and wretches of dishonor.  It is well enough that their women also go bald, since they are no better, simply the mud-brown bitches to the red curs of Thay.

They are lower than dirt, and just a shade lighter.  Unsightly, hairless worms that dig their insidious tunnels through the soil of every land to which they spread, uninvited.  They bring only iniquity and maledictions, leave only weakness.  Spineless, untrue, selfish corruptors, one and all.  Had I the hand of Hoar as my own for but a moment, I would drown them in the Sea of Fallen Stars where they could not voice the words that undo nations!

Now that's a mouthful!

From this, I deduce that Guelfa is quite the lady charmer. After all, what self-respecting woman could resist being compared to hairless slimeland canines? You simply must have Guelfa as a female romance option, Josh.

:D

In all seriousness, I do sense a tad of irony here, considering that Guelfa is utilizing the sort of language here that an Edwin might use. I'm reminded of hardcore nationalists among the intelligentsia of ex-British colonies, speaking against the oppressor while speaking their language. Or perhaps all Sembians are like that, which would be scary. Either way, :p and keep'em coming!

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

If, at some point, Josh needs some voice actors for his modules' dialogues, I am pretty sure that many of people on these boards (including myself) would be happy to contribute. It will increase the module's quality and make it look even more professional.

I don't know if that is such a good idea. There's certainly a lot of talented and willing people out there but professional voice overs also require professional equipment and direction in order to work out properly.

Perhaps Josh could do it like Rob Bartel did with Witch Wake - after the original module becomes popular (as TBH undoubtedly will be) it could be re-mastered and released as a premium module with the addition of professional voice overs and music. I think a lot of people would gladly pay for that.

More of a monologue than a dialogue, I suppose, but it's the most colorful thing I have on hand.

While colorful, it mostly is about shades of brown.

bushracist.jpg

...as long as Josh 'members ta 'ave Wemics an' a nice selection o' two-handed War Mauls, I's'll e'en offer ta lend a helpin' hand if'n he needs beta testers or somesuch... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Time has come! First true module has been published! :joy: :joy:

Just guess who is going to dstart downloading that right now! (w00t)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Is 100 Mb a typical size for a NWN2 mod? Or is it a bit small?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Phoenixus has put in a TON of work on this. Since the toolset was released he has done little else. I think you will all be impressed. :ermm:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Really? I figured module files would already be highly compressed by themselves.

That does not bode well for my hard drive space what with Caesar IV, NWN2, Medieval 2, Civ IV and Sims 2 already installed, plus the huge amount of space needed to update NWN2. I might just have to get a new hard drive. :-

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just uninstall that Sims 2 rubbish. :-"

This module includes No Rest areas... they are... Ruined Keep Dungeon Ruined Keep Catacombs Goblin Caves Obelisk/Drow Caverns Abyss Tragidor Town Outdoors Safe Rest areas: Moonwood Moonwood Plateau Moonwood Deepforest Ruined Keep Secret Passage Tragidor Buildings Edge of Nowhere Strange Room This has never been tested for multiplayer so I don't know how that will turn out. That said if anyone wishes to adapt it to multiplayer they are more than welcome to.

:-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If, at some point, Josh needs some voice actors for his modules' dialogues, I am pretty sure that many of people on these boards (including myself) would be happy to contribute. It will increase the module's quality and make it look even more professional.

I don't know if that is such a good idea. There's certainly a lot of talented and willing people out there but professional voice overs also require professional equipment and direction in order to work out properly.

Perhaps Josh could do it like Rob Bartel did with Witch Wake - after the original module becomes popular (as TBH undoubtedly will be) it could be re-mastered and released as a premium module with the addition of professional voice overs and music. I think a lot of people would gladly pay for that.

Meh, couldn't editing and alterations be done later ? Either way, I like the idea and I'm actually very good at voice acting myself (most people consider me anyway, especially when I go off on a nostalgic voice-acting rant but then again they might just think I'm nuts). If Mr Sawyer decides to try it out I'll gladly provide my services. :ph34r: Either way it's great to hear and I'm surprised I didn't know anything about this till an hour ago or so. If anything it's a good way to pimp NWN2. Best wishes to you in your quest Mr Sawyer.

Btw, are there any major differences to A Tragidy in Tragidor in comparision to the NWN1-version or is it just flashier?

Edited by Salladin