Aram goes full-auto

Aram

Zombies are best dealt with a dead-accurate heavy barreled .22 rifle, a homemade makeshift suppressor, and bulk buy's worth of hi-speed .22 hollow points.

But a flame-thrower is prettier and would get more. All you need is a bit of gasoline and some styrofoam and a pressure sprayer. :lol:

Flamethrowers are one of the worst weapons you can use against the living dead. Not only do zombies take a long time to burn completely, but in the meantime, instead of having a horde of man-eating zombies trying to break down your gate, you have a horde of flaming man-eating zombies trying to break down you gate. :)

Zombies are best dealt with a dead-accurate heavy barreled .22 rifle, a homemade makeshift suppressor, and bulk buy's worth of hi-speed .22 hollow points.

But a flame-thrower is prettier and would get more. All you need is a bit of gasoline and some styrofoam and a pressure sprayer. :)

Flamethrowers are one of the worst weapons you can use against the living dead. Not only do zombies take a long time to burn completely, but in the meantime, instead of having a horde of man-eating zombies trying to break down your gate, you have a horde of flaming man-eating zombies trying to break down you gate. :huh:

That's genuinely one of the most common rookie mistakes when dealing with zombies. I've seen quite a few guys go down that way.

Just last week during finals, there was a zombie outbreak on campus. Someone decides to use a zippo and some hairspray! The one benefit of being attacked by flaming zombies is you're less likely to come back as a zombie yourself if you catch, too. I've also heard reports that some students where holding the stairwell in our GAB building. It wasn't a giant outbreak and I think they could have held there, but not so much when the flaming zombies enter the building. One person turned a manageable zombie encounter into a tragedy just because he insisted on using fire.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 4 weeks later...
Aram's new backyard project: the 8-Megajoule Railgun!

Fascinating. The seeming scale of the picture looks like they have gotten these down to a managable size now. Wish they would have discussed the power generation/consumption of the gun and how frequently it can be fired.

Fascinating. The seeming scale of the picture looks like they have gotten these down to a managable size now. Wish they would have discussed the power generation/consumption of the gun and how frequently it can be fired.

You probably need a portable nuclear reactor to power it :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's probably a state secret, don't you think? Not sure the Navy wants every country to start their own super-weapon production, now that they have just got theirs ... :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That's probably a state secret, don't you think? Not sure the Navy wants every country to start their own super-weapon production, now that they have just got theirs ... :-

Lol, I suppose, if youre a stickler for "state secrets" and "national security". ;)

I was really more interested in whether or not they had worked out the kinks outlined in the Wiki article on railguns such as the rails needing replacement after almost ever shot. Also, as Gorth pointed out, they still require a ridiculous amount of juice.

I had to figure out what this meant in terms of power...

Joules = watts x seconds, therefore watts = joules/seconds.

This gizmo has to move it's projectile 'very' fast in the shortest amount of time or it will run out of rail. So, at a guess, a 1/4 second would draw a modest 2 million watts. Probably closer to 1/10th of a second. It would be helpfull if they had told us the length of the rail being used so that the time value could be considered.

The Naval Surface Warfare Center played the stage for a demonstration of a new naval weapon.  The 8-megajoule railgun was the center of attention on Wednesday, as the navy demonstrated its power and low cost use.  The railgun was designed by General Atomics, a fission and fusion research company based out of San Diego.

Instead of using gunpowder, the railgun uses electricity by sending a current along parallel rails which creates an electromagnetic pulse.  The pulse is so powerful it can file projectiles roughly 200 to 250 nautical miles in about 6 minutes, using the nonexplosive slug weighing about 3.2 kilograms.  After leaving the barrel of the railgun the slug has an estimated launch altitude of about 500,000 feet or roughly 95 miles at possible Mach 7 speeds.  Current conventional guns on Navy vessels have a maximum range of about 15 miles.

Compared to a Tomahawk missile, which costs upwards of $1 million per missile, the railgun only has an estimated sub-$1,000-per-shot cost.  With the absence of gunpowder, the railgun is said to be safer to use, eliminating the possibility of explosions.

The more I look at this article, the more this looks like a toy. A Tomahawk has a guidance system with feedback and corrective systems. A kinetic slug would not. A kinetic projectile would be little more than an inert bullet. A guided missile would have the ability to 'correct' it's aim that a bullet would not ( and we wouldn't get to see those neat videos as the missile homed in on it's target :) ).

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Can any of you big brains calculate the expolsive yield produced by the kinetic impact of a 7.05 Lb object traveling at 148,291 MPH?

Haha, I wasted time converting those figures back to metric before I realised where you got the figures.

According to wiki its more like 2 kg of TNT.

Edited by Surreptishus

Can any of you big brains calculate the expolsive yield produced by the kinetic impact of a 7.05 Lb object traveling at 148,291 MPH?

Haha, I wasted time converting those figures back to metric before I realised where you got the figures.

Hmm, that seems fairly worthless for shore bombardment, anti-ship, anti-tank.....well, pretty much anything other then anti-missle and anti-aircraft defence. ;)

Edited by Gfted1

Hmm, that seems fairly worthless for shore bombardment, anti-ship, anti-tank.....well, pretty much anything other then anti-missle and anti-aircraft defence. :rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on rate of fire and method of deployment. Note that the 8MJ version seems to be a demo model. They plan to use 64MJ versions in the field. Also they hope to use guided projectiles in the future.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/01...01172007/251373