NWN2 OC playtime

Atreides

Above or below your first estimate?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Above or below your first estimate?

• Above
    • Very close
    • Below

If you guys remember, I collected estimates of how long they'd play the OC on the first time through. Here are the results so that you can compare actual to expected.

Expected time spent on first NWN2 single player run

Data collected on 7 May 2006

Atreides	25-30
Eldar	35-40
Tigranes	25-30
alanschu	25-30
Volourn	30-50
Darque	50+
Haitoku	40
Fighter	40
Muscopticon?	35-40
Fenghuang	50+
Meshugger	35-40
Shadowstrider	25-30
Judge Hades	25
Kaftan Barlast	50+
Dark Raven	45
Spider	20-25
Hurlshot	25-30
WinterSun	30-40
Gromnir	r*(N-Y)
Niten Ryu	10-30.
ShadowPaladin	30-35
Ellester	20-25
MasterRevan	50+

Overall distribution

00-10 3

10-15. 2

15-20 3

20-25 6

25-30 12

30-35 8

35-40 8

40-45 4

45-50 1

50+ 4

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Tigranes 25-30

Can't be sure, but took me a week to finish, and I'm on holiday; I would say a bit over 40 hours, including reloads, walking back and forth in dungeons after missing things, working out one particular crash. I think I completed around 70-80% of the game, barring companions I didn't carry around, and a few quests whose options would have been wildly different. I'm pretty sure if I missed an area, encounter or quest, they wouldnt be many. So 35-40 hours, pleasantly surprised by that.

Why am I not on this list? And why don't I remember the collection?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I really had no idea and didn't give it much thought, though my general feeling was that it would be shorter than NWN's OC. There is certainly less running around, but more dialog, so it tends to balance out. I didn't click through dialogs unless I was replaying due to reload.

I beat the game in a week. Got it the Saturday after it was released and spent most of the day adjusting settings, after finding out the game had performance issues while running at modern resolutions. Finally had to settle on the low resolution of 1024x768 with high quality textures (looks better than low or mid textures at higher res) to get a playable framerate. Even then it tends to bog down in object-heavy areas. Bloom has little to no effect on FPS on my computer and makes some places easier to see, so I turned it back on.

Anyway, managed to get a day off during the week and played evenings on the other days. Beat the game the very next weekend. I'd estimate it took me 40-50 hours. I did every quest I could find, though I didn't bring along some NPCs to experience whatever quests they might have had.

The stronghold went fast because I had lots of resources built up, and because the game updates everything as you enter and leave the keep, so I was able to do 80% of the preparation by yoyo-ing through a doorway. I was able to complete preparation while still having 50% of my allotted time available. This is a bit unrealistic, especially since construction takes time, but with this OC I've resigned myself to the fact that realism was limited to graphic appearance, weapon animations notwithstanding. Tip: I don't know what happens when your time is up, but until then nothing will advance to the next stage (war) until you tell Sir Nevalle that you're ready. So take your time and have fun.

The funny thing is that, IIRC, a lot of people were voting conservatively because they were all terrified that the large amount of cuts just announced for the game were making it far too short.

keep in mind that the game were delayed... a couple of times. one reason given for a delay were to be adding some additional content. we got no doubt that it were complaints 'bout anemic hours (and the subsequent realization by developers and publishers in the 11th freaking hour that the Average Gamer wouldn't be happy with a brief oc) that gots nwn2 fleshed out from what we were originally given as estimates.

given a substantial delay following these may estimates to add content, we expect that all estimates should probably gets benefit of a +5-10, at least.

we ain't played yet, but sounds like hours is okie dokie... but you full-o'-crap clowns who kept telling us that "15-20 hours would be ok" should be thanking Gromnir and the other complainers right 'bout now... or not.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we ain't played yet, but sounds like hours is okie dokie... but you full-o'-crap clowns who kept telling us that "15-20 hours would be ok" should be thanking Gromnir and the other complainers right 'bout now... or not.

HA! Good Fun!

Speaking for myself, my argument was that game length is not as important when the game is high quality. I repeatedly cited Metal Gear Solid, which I found to be an excellent game, but which has a short length.

How much was the game delayed, especially relative to when that post was made? That information was collected not even half of a year ago, right around when things started to get the axe.

we got no doubt that it were complaints 'bout anemic hours (and the subsequent realization by developers and publishers in the 11th freaking hour that the Average Gamer wouldn't be happy with a brief oc) that gots nwn2 fleshed out from what we were originally given as estimates.

Wasn't it all stemming from a comment that Feargus made, that other people the worked as Obsidian as being incorrect? IIRC, people were complaining about a quote from Feargus, and people working on the game had stated it was wrong, yet you refused to believe them, claiming it was damage control.

Given how there isn't really much in the way of sidequests, I highly doubt that the game's length was stretched in the 11th hour. It's not like Baldur's Gate, where they literally hired a guy and his job specified explicitly that his responsibility was to add many (been a while since I spoke with him, but I believe the number was either 10 or 12) sidequests per day.

If 5-10 hours of content was decided to be added by Obsidian at the "11th hour" of this game, then colour me impressed. Because there doesn't seem to be anything that was blatantly rushed when it comes to the story, nor are there just large areas with mindless fighting or ancillary tasks that have little to no relevance to the actual plot of the game.

but you full-o'-crap clowns who kept telling us that "15-20 hours would be ok" should be thanking Gromnir and the other complainers right 'bout now... or not.

:huh:

Edited by alanschu

you is looking at it the wrong way alan.

stuff was cut.

the stuff that were cut no doubt found its way back into nwn2 when it were realized that cutting so as to make july or october deadlines were stoopid.

is no reason to be particularly impressed, 'cause no doubt the stuff that were added were stuff that were originally meant to be in game in first place... simply didn't have time or wherewithal to implement 'til folks complained.

"Speaking for myself, my argument was that game length is not as important when the game is high quality. I repeatedly cited Metal Gear Solid, which I found to be an excellent game, but which has a short length"

metal gear ain't a crpg. is apples v. oranges... and we s'pose you know that.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the stuff that were cut no doubt found its way back into nwn2 when it were realized that cutting so as to make july or october deadlines were stoopid.

Except that the comments from the actual developers (that you didn't want believe) shortly after the cuts were still talking about a long game experience. Unless you think that they decided to change their mind days after they announced the cut.

Not only that, but Owerwinde was inquiring about some parts of the game he had heard about but couldn't find, shortly after release, and some Obs guy was talking about how it was still part of the game.

is no reason to be particularly impressed, 'cause no doubt the stuff that were added were stuff that were originally meant to be in game in first place... simply didn't have time or wherewithal to implement 'til folks complained.

Yes, clearly no doubt. When it was only Feargus that commented on a short game time, and when you decided to go all frothy at the mouth and developers stated he was wrong, you put your fingers in your ears claiming that their comments were worthless, and that you'd only accept it straight from the horse's mouth (Feargus that is).

And I'm sure that the angry voices of the exceptionally small amount of people that bitch on forums completely changed all of their minds. I never struck you as someone that would like to come in and toot their own horn, but I guess I was wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

"If 5-10 hours of content was decided to be added by Obsidian at the "11th hour" of this game, then colour me impressed. Because there doesn't seem to be anything that was blatantly rushed when it comes to the story, nor are there just large areas with mindless fighting or ancillary tasks that have little to no relevance to the actual plot of the game."

Yup. I may not be the biggets fan of the story (it's alright thoguh); but ti's obviously not rushed. And, i doubt they were just adding things willy nilly during the elays. The delays were more likely to fix bugs and tinker things not make wholesales changes or additions.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Except that the comments from the actual developers (that you didn't want believe) shortly after the cuts were still talking about a long game experience."

actually, there were more than a few developers who said the opposite... public & private, but you heard what you wanted to. some qa guy makes a bold claim 'bout hours which nobody from obsidian joined in to support. next thing you know the game gets delayed a few months ostensibly to add more content.

*chuckle*

oh, and fergie is the president o' obsidian... if you weren't aware o' that fact. no doubt you assume that he is just an ignorant boob who spouts off w/o any reasons for speakings and guessings.

as game got closer to completion, stuff had to be cut... maybe more than they wished to cut. that is nothing new. difference is that this time atari relented. after negative feedback and a surprising show o' good sense, atari allows release to be pushed back... to add content back into game.

heck, when it were announced that game were being delayed the reason given were to be adding gameplay. why you not wanna believe those comments?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

At this point i have no idea on when i will finish, still going slow and steady though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"and fergie is the president o' obsidian... if you weren't aware o' that fact. no doubt you assume that he is just an ignorant boob who spouts off w/o any reasons for speakings and guessings."

As obsidian's Prez, I'm sure Mr. U has lots of more important things to know then exactly how long the game will be. Chances ar ehe ehard someone say a certain length, and it got changed or he ehard wrong. *shrug* That's why he's the Prez, and not a designer. :huh: He's liekly more into the business side of things.

fergie is also the guy most likely to be aware that an anemic estimate would be likely to hurt sales... 'less you is trying to tell us that he is a moron or something.

did fergie know actual hours? unlikely, but he had some reason to guess that it were small... and fergie is also damn familiar with what happens when hours is overestimated by large degree.

again. when nwn2 were delayed past the 3rd q release, it were ostensibly to be adding gameplay

When you finally p;lay the game, come back and tell us what parts of the game were added just for extra time at the end. I shall await your answer.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

When you finally p;lay the game, come back and tell us what parts of the game were added just for extra time at the end. I shall await your answer.

:crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

vol is being vol... again.

where we say that crap were simply added in to boost hours? the stuff you see in game were no doubt meant to be in game for a lllloooonnnnngggg time. is when game got close to the JULY release date, and lead got shipped off to Kanada, that stuff were having to be cut.

stuff you see in game is what were 'posed to be in game. try not to be a yutz.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, all I know is that I was way off. :mellow:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Since this is clearly what you're looking for Gromnir, here you go:

cookie.jpg

am not really a sweets guy. a nice end cut of prime rib on the other hand...

*shrug*

am just not sure what is the motivation of some folks in this thread. why is there such resistance to notion that with additional 3-4 months obsidian might have fixed some problems with game, one problem which were anemic length? again, when atari pushed back release it were stated that one reason for doing so were to lengthen.

keeps telling selves that july release woulda' been a bit buggier but just as long if it makes you all feel better, but doing so means that you has gained nothing from this learning experience.

HA! Good Fun!