NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

you know, we has seen numerous complaints 'bout the camera pov, but we never really bothered to read 'em 'cause camera seemed to work pretty much the way we wanted it to. we could looks top-down and zoom in and rotate in any direction, and beyond those functions we didn't really need or want nothing else. that being said, there seems to be lots o' people complaining 'bout camera, so we assume that for some folks there is an honest and real prob with camera.

anybody wanna attempt to explain camera to Gromnir? we had loads of trouble explaining how persistent poison effects from herzou demons, ghasts and level draining effects from undead critters could require require far more lesser restorations than the druid chick woulds ever have access to cure during an extended battle, so we will understand if nobody can explain to Gromnir what is wrong with nwn2 camera, but if somebody wanna take a shot we would appreciate.

thanks in advance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Most the problems with the camera (that I've seen voiced, anyway( are that it is slow to react in top-down (default) mode. Then after a slightly hesitant reaction it seems too responsive to mouse movement, possibly caused by the typical player having ADD and moving the mouse more wondering why the camera didn't react immediately. Not having ADD, I don't have a problem with this.

The only complaint I have with the camera is in free cam mode, it moves too slowly when I move to the edge of the screen. So, naturally, I tried the click+drag method. This didn't help much, and I was forced to watch the cursor twitch on screen. Other than that I have no problem.

Another problem I have with the camera is the fact that it really cuts into the immersion of 3-D graphics. When you are in a dungeon you should be able to move around your environment and almost feel the claustrophobia. However the way the camera works it is impossible to move around without rotating up wards and removing the ceiling and general feeling of being in a dungeon. It makes me wish for a first person camera angle, this would work if the NPC A.I. was improved....

Edited by Kelverin

"When you are in a dungeon you should be able to move around your environment and almost feel the claustrophobia. However the way the camera works it is impossible to move around without rotating up wards and removing the ceiling and general feeling of being in a dungeon. "

if you had limited more strategic top-down view in dungeons, Gromnir would have been mighty unhappy.

so main problem is a smoothness of response to mouse/keyboard commands regarding camera? hmmm. will have to look at that a little closer. we didn't notice any terrible lags or jerks with camera, but we is getting old and maybe we were just too slow to notice.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Another problem I have with the camera is the fact that it really cuts into the immersion of 3-D graphics. When you are in a dungeon you should be able to move around your environment and almost feel the claustrophobia. However the way the camera works it is impossible to move around without rotating up wards and removing the ceiling and general feeling of being in a dungeon. It makes me wish for a first person camera angle, this would work if the NPC A.I. was improved....

How can there be a sense of claustrophobia in NWN2 when many of the dungeons have massive chambers and wide sprawling hallways?

IWD nailed claustrophobia down.

That was a problem in NWN1 to.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It doesn't absolve NWN1 either, but given that they use similar engines, except for the graphics engine, it makes sense that they both have the same problems, doesn't it?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

"How can there be a sense of claustrophobia in NWN2 when many of the dungeons have massive chambers and wide sprawling hallways?"

You should at least get a sense on being underground, but you don't you might as well be outside or in a building. With the top-down view there is no difference.

"IWD nailed claustrophobia down."

Exactly. A 2D - 5 year old engine.

"That was a problem in NWN1 to."

Yep, it would be nice if it got fixed or changed.

Edited by Kelverin

Yes it would but that would also mean a totally new engine which is outside the scope of NWN2, which people tend to forget.

Watcher's Keep sucked.

Durlag's Tower, now that was good dungeon crawling.

Edited by Sand

HA!

Man, I like to know who at Bioware thought an exit portal on each level was a good thing. The point of a dungeon crawl is the thrill of facing death, trapped in a small hole in the earth. Those exit portals were the lame.

Not to mention the spacious, brightly multicolored levels... Like McDonalds multiplied by Disney. Its too bad that dungeons have been pretty crap since then.

Trekking through 5(?) levels of Dragons Eye, eager with anticipation at selling all the phat loot at Kuldahar... that was hardcore, and fun.

I wish someone would make some good IWD mods so I can go and play it again. Or better yet combine IWD, TOTL, HOW and IWD2 into one game, add new areas, enhance the AI, make the game difficult as hell, and fill it up with tactical encounters and lots of new quests and characters. That would be an awesome game.

"IWD nailed claustrophobia down."

No, it didn't. I didn't find it claustrophoic at all.

And, Wtacher's Tower was just as good as Durlag's Tower. DT also had at least one way IIRC to exit it early.

*shrug*

Besdies, are all 'dunegons' made to be the same? Both of these dungeons had different purposes when they were created. taht's why theyt're different. Duh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.