NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

A gripe. What the hell are goblins, not goblin shamans, doing casting spells? They don't have the intelligence to cast spells much less the ability to read to learn the spells.

Goblins have average intelligence and spells/magic has its own alphabet.

I guess he means any goblin can become a wizard/sorcerer/cleric/psionist with the right abilities, like all other races too.

(My favorite is the Minotaur Sorcerer)

You can't have it both ways. :)

Drow were playable in 2nd Ed. Actually, they were playable in 1st Ed. if you had Unearthed Arcana. They've never been part of core rules, though (not even now).

Except in Forgotten Realms

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

The FRCS and PGtF aren't considered core books.

'Players Guide to Faerun'

Faerun is a world on its own, just like all other ones.

Because the so-called 'Player's handbook' doesn't have most of the reaces as playable, I will not consider it as the Bilbe of RP-ing, and won't use the Greyhawk gods for all my clerics. That book was written clearly by people who use mostly the Greyhawk world for their story.

IB1OsQq.png

Because the so-called 'Player's handbook' doesn't have most of the reaces as playable, I will not consider it as the Bilbe of RP-ing, and won't use the Greyhawk gods for all my clerics. That book was written clearly by people who use mostly the Greyhawk world for their story.

Um, no. Only the PHB, DMG, and MM (I) are the core books. Everything else is considered by WotC to be optional.

Um, no. Only the PHB, DMG, and MM (I) are the core books. Everything else is considered by WotC to be optional.

But see, they are for Greyhawk, even if not named like that. Even the gods listed in them are from Greyhawk.

IB1OsQq.png

But see, they are for Greyhawk, even if not named like that. Even the gods listed in them are from Greyhawk.

And? Your point? They are the core rulebooks as defined and stated by Wizards of the Coast. Josh's point is entirely correct.

Oh NO. Canon rears it's ugly head. I think of CRPG in much the same way I view PnP campaigns. The design team should have a good deal of lattitude.

At any rate, if your biggest beef is the spell hurling goblin, then you must have been considerably more disappointed with a number of decisions made for every DnD CRPG.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And? Your point? They are the core rulebooks as defined and stated by Wizards of the Coast. Josh's point is entirely correct.

ruleslawyer.jpg

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

For women it'd also be nice to have various breast sizes.

I suppose it's a good thing that you have a computer to channel your urges into ... :rolleyes:

Misread as usual. I did say I was thinking realistically, and that bit of anatomy does contribute toward the appearance of female characters, like it or not. Of course the teenage and 20something group probably has other motives.

Edit: I did try to post a mature observation of the character generation system with my thoughts. Leave it to you folks to focus on one particular portion. Perhaps you ought to reflect on your own thoughts before judging mine. :p

Edited by Wistrik

Why not just judge both of you. Getting back to NWN2, I'd much rather have more control, for sure. Still, I don't mind having pre-set templates. I think, eventually, these CRPGs are going to give us tremendous flexibility in creating our characters. Then maybe we can have dialogue that actually reflects those choices as well. You know, "I've never seen anyone with orange colored eyes before," type of deal.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

For women it'd also be nice to have various breast sizes.

I suppose it's a good thing that you have a computer to channel your urges into ... :shifty:

Misread as usual. I did say I was thinking realistically, and that bit of anatomy does contribute toward the appearance of female characters, like it or not. Of course the teenage and 20something group probably has other motives.

Edit: I did try to post a mature observation of the character generation system with my thoughts. Leave it to you folks to focus on one particular portion. Perhaps you ought to reflect on your own thoughts before judging mine. :)

I suggest 300% the char creation way for the MMO named 'CoH/CoV. Even if you dislike MMO-s its usefull/interesting to get the 7/14 day trial to play around with the creator. I used up nearly all my time to create new and new characters, and those can be costumized later on too.

Yes, they are a bit 'cartoony', but its created for a comic-world!

With some work on it and some 'upgrade' it could be the best working char creator system for any possible game, from sports trough FPS to RPG-s.

I don't know how it can be licensed or used, but I would definetly try to get it if i would be a game developer. A good character creator means no stress because of people who dislike their characters looks, they could only blame themselves.

PS: sometimes less poligons have a better look than more poligons, it's like with photography: there are pictures what are 100% true to reality, but the people like the version more what isn't the most realistic picture. (skin tone, ect.)

Ask some photographers they will agree on this.

IB1OsQq.png

At least they could have let you choose you clothes color. Not the aromor or robes that you wear, the clothes you have on to avoid nekkidness.

Agreed.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

After KOTOR 2, the following development postmortem was posted http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedev...r/sample/?pg=38

Are we going to get something similar for NWN 2? I would really like to hear dev responses to some of the major player complaints with respect to the game, as it's been the general impression that unlike KOTOR 2, NWN 2 had plenty of development time...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

After KOTOR 2, the following development postmortem was posted http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedev...r/sample/?pg=38

Are we going to get something similar for NWN 2? I would really like to hear dev responses to some of the major player complaints with respect to the game, as it's been the general impression that unlike KOTOR 2, NWN 2 had plenty of development time...

Well, the easiest response to like 90% of the complaints is: "We wanted to focus on the single player aspect" The only major problems outside of the many multiplayer issues were the AI/Pathfinding and engine optimization. As long as you used the top down view, the camera wasn't really an issue.

Oh, and to the topic of the reviews getting worse, as both threads on the topic have been closed: I find that all the negative reviews tend to be like "this is awesome, this is awesome, this is awesome, this is awesome, this is awesome, I can only get 12 fps. 5/10"

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I didn't mean to annoy anyone with my observations. Hopefully in the years to come a fully configurable creature model system will be in every 3D game, because it's a lot of fun to create a character that looks like me or someone I know, and then play them in a game. I could see playing a berserker who looked a bit like Conan, or a monk who looks like Bruce Li, just for fun. It's probably too early now, but I'm hoping someone like Havok (for example) will put out a licenseable library just for this purpose so that no more will game companies have an excuse not to have fully configurable character models in their 3D games.

I've heard MMOs have good character generation systems, both from reading articles and from personal experiences of people I know locally.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled topics.

"Well, the easiest response to like 90% of the complaints is: "We wanted to focus on the single player aspect"

Nah. Most of my complaints have to do with the OC. The toolset itself is rather good depsite some of compliants. to me, the OC is NWN2's weak link (but still pretty good).

"The only major problems outside of the many multiplayer issues were the AI/Pathfinding and engine optimization. As long as you used the top down view, the camera wasn't really an issue."

Most people disagree with you. Lots of people had problems with other stuff including the camera view. In fact, so much so that Obsidian has chnaged it already. Go figure. *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

WoW has about the same amount of customization that NWN2 has. CoH/CoV has HUGE customization levels. You never see two people who look alike unless they're friends who purposefully made similar costumes. Or if they'r'e female characters with the witchblade costume. There are tons of those. And for some reason they always tend to win the damn costume contests.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Most people disagree with you. Lots of people had problems with other stuff including the camera view. In fact, so much so that Obsidian has chnaged it already. Go figure. *shrug*

What exactly did they change? Adding stuff is not changing if the previous functionality is intact. For me it works just like it's done since I installed the game, but I'm only using free camera.

They did change the options screen though.