NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

Yeah, the stack rules in various places seem to be fudgy. Sometimes, instead of bracers / armour cancelling out, you'll only get SOME of the bracer bonus (i.e. Bracers +3 gives only +1). Ability Scores seem to do the same thing, where you should have, say, 21 Dex, but only 19, even though your armour allows the Dex modifier to go up more.

Stupid 3.5. :(

Again I said almost godlike not godlike.

Please read what is there and not what you want.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

also, to change party members (and their inventories) one must exit inn. we now gotta take bishop with us on a mission? well casavir has some gear that would be good for him, and khelghar, and that druid tart. crap. enter/exit. every time Gromnir gets new party member or wants to craft we gets stuck spending a half hour switching out members and their 1007, 'cause we can't trust barrels.

The worst part of it all was that the docks would take almost 3 minutes to load on my machine.

BTW there is a code you can use to bring up the party roster whenever you want. I will definitely make use of this code if I ever play the game again.

I think the best argument for uncapping is that this is a sequel of a game with an lvl40 player cap and an lvl60 Npc cap. To me (someone that played the first game solidly up till this point) it a bit jarring to have to restrain my builds to level twenty.

What

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Yeah, the stack rules in various places seem to be fudgy. Sometimes, instead of bracers / armour cancelling out, you'll only get SOME of the bracer bonus (i.e. Bracers +3 gives only +1). Ability Scores seem to do the same thing, where you should have, say, 21 Dex, but only 19, even though your armour allows the Dex modifier to go up more.

Stupid 3.5. :p

In NWN2, bracers of armor give enhancement bonus instead of armor bonus. If you equip a plus 1 armor, then a pair of bracers of armor plus 3 will only give a bonus of plus 2. Its a bit silly that it doesnt work correctly. My fighter is using bracers of armor plus 8 - it doesnt matter anyway as I havent found anything else that is useful for the hand slot in the game.

Armor will never affect your actual dex score, only the dex ac modifier, I have never had problems with dex modifiers being applied incorrectly.

3 minutes?!?!

What are your specs again?

For godsakes you must have a pretty low end machine, even worse than mine before I modified it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I think the best argument for uncapping is that this is a sequel of a game with an lvl40 player cap and an lvl60 Npc cap. To me (someone that played the first game solidly up till this point) it a bit jarring to have to restrain my builds to level twenty.

What’s there is the Divine rank that define a god, when they where STATed most if not all gods had about forty PC levels and then their divine ranks which of course where so much more than anything a Pc rank could give So I'd say that around 40 levels you become a force in the world not easily ignored (unless you travel the planes where demons and devils still easily out class you). On FR proper you'd be in the ranking of the more powerful movers and shakers, but not only would you still not be a god, you'd still be rather killable, and not just by the chosen or the zulkirs.

I say no cap or a cap so high you stop thinking about maxing out a character.

I prefer a low cap like 30, but I dont mind a higher cap. I like maxing out.

3 minutes?!?!

What are your specs again?

For godsakes you must have a pretty low end machine, even worse than mine before I modified it.

I dont know what is wrong with my system. I have up to date drivers, can run other games well, have no background applications, have all non essential windows services turned off. But load times are simply ridiculous for urban enviroments. And of course Ive got awful FPS. I wouldnt mind sacrificing all the graphical bells and whistles for playable FPS but turning off advanced graphics doesnt seem to do anything. I suppose that NWN2 just doesnt like me.

After patch 3 is released I will do a complete reinstall and see if that helps anything. But Im not optimistic.

Expansion wish list: I hope that the clipping problems can be resolved.

post-326-1164321284_thumb.jpg

Edited by roshan

Expansion wish list: I hope that the clipping problems can be resolved.

Heh. Nice clipping going on there. Once had a greatsword sticking right through Khelgar's head during a cutscene, but thats all I've had happen to me. Guess I've just gotten lucky with character placement. ^_^

What resolution have you been playing at. Not sure why you are getting such bad performance. I've been getting 10+ FPS in most areas and I've got a worse computer than you do. :p

Well, one thing that would help your frames is lower the resolution just a tad. Sheesh. :p

You cant lower the resolution on LCD monitors. If your native resolution is 1600x1050, then thats what you run

(sure, you can do it, but itll look like poop)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My native resolution is 1400 x 1050 and with the AA on I can run it very nicely and very fast at a lower setting without it looking like poop.

Well, one thing that would help your frames is lower the resolution just a tad.  Sheesh.  :p

Minimizing my resolution only has a marginal impact on my frame rate - About a 30% improvement in areas that run well on high res, and about 15% in areas that do not run well at high res(by my estimate).

Since I am running the game on a laptop, decreasing the resolution makes the fonts very jagged and also makes the game look really, really ugly. The game appears pixelated and the colors become very dull.

Another aspect of running at high res is that I can keep the main area map on instead of the minimap. I dont know why but I cant seem to navigate using the minimap no matter what the zoom or resolution settings are.

Armor will never affect your actual dex score, only the dex ac modifier, I have never had problems with dex modifiers being applied incorrectly.

Precisely. For example, if the max dex modifier of the armour is +5, and my dex is 18, I should be able to equip Belt of Agility +2 and see it go up to 20 (+5), right? Not so. In fact, even if I made my dex go up to 22, it should - it should simply stay at 22 (+5). But it doesn't. There's some invisible cap on the actual ability score, and it seems only to be present post 1.02.

Also, I'd say the clipping is better than you running into party members all the time, because the pathfinding would go berserk with that.

Well, one thing that would help your frames is lower the resolution just a tad.  Sheesh.  :p

I could have sworn he said earlier he was playing at 1024.

It depends. There are times when I desperately need the extra 1 to 2 frames per second.

In any case I am not actually playing the game anymore. I am going to wait for something that will address my problems if it ever comes out.

Edited by roshan

That is probably another source of your problems. You are running it on a laptop. Regardless if you meet the specs or not running a game on a laptop is always hit or miss.

Precisely. For example, if the max dex modifier of the armour is +5, and my dex is 18, I should be able to equip Belt of Agility +2 and see it go up to 20 (+5), right? Not so. In fact, even if I made my dex go up to 22, it should - it should simply stay at 22 (+5). But it doesn't. There's some invisible cap on the actual ability score, and it seems only to be present post 1.02.

Also, I'd say the clipping is better than you running into party members all the time, because the pathfinding would go berserk with that.

The pathfinding has actually been very good to me, I can click almost anywhere and my character will go there in the shortest possible way, I think the pathfinding only has occassional problems navigating around small objects, like barrels and stuff.

Even if they cant fix characters clipping each other, hopefully they can fix clipping into walls and other objects. My characters foot regularly goes through slopes, and he can even clip halfway into a wall.

That's what I mean. NWN2 pathfinding is good if you tell them to go to the other end of the map, but it will often get stuck around ilttle things.. and your party members are exactly those 'little things'. How many times did you order a party member or your character to do something, but they get stuck behind each other?

Anyway, clipping has never bothered me in any game, but that's just me. You're right that it does happen a fair bit.

Clipping in this game is far less annoying than it was in Ultima IX where you could see wildlife standing in mid-air because they had a huge collision cylinder and part of it was still touching the hillside. Thankfully I haven't seen that in NWN2. And so far in NWN2 I haven't seen my character or other NPCs, or items, fall through the ground, which is something that still happens in Ultima IX.

I was hoping for a real patch before this long weekend so I could enjoy some improved gaming in NWN2. Maybe by the Christmas break they'll have it ironed out.