NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

My enjoyment is starting to be impaired. Not sure what causes it, but suddenly I have AVG screwing with game files going "OMG! These are viruses!" I tell it to ignore them while I swear at AVG for crashing the game. 20 minutes later after I start NWN2 back up again AVG will again start yelling at me because of the same stupid files. I TOLD YOU TO IGNORE THEM DAMNIT! Once again the game crashes because of AVG which is then killed...

Now that AVG is dead the game is started up once more and everytime I try to open a context menu the game decides to crash again! ARG! :lol:

Turn off the AVG.

You don't need it running in the background, unless you are downloading suspicious files. If you are still concerned, disconnect from the internet. :p

I have been ever since it started screwing with me. I just sometimes forget about it if the computer has been restarted and it's popped back up without my noticing. :">

Just to emphisise the point: I was having inordinate problems, not just NwN2, but even Deus Ex was refusing to run, not to mention my printer drivers were generating these ubiquitous Dr Watson message boxes telling me that Windows really wanted to know about the faults (sometimes in the dozens).

I uninstalled the AV (and then the Anti-Hacker) and all problems solved. Now I am just deciding if I should sue for dental recompense after gnashing my teeth for so long ...

What kills me is that we cannot choose where our saves goes.  I have a hard drive dedicated to games.  I want all my game data, from installs to saves to go there.  However I hate the fact that newer games like NWN2 and Oblivion are putting saves on my OS drive. 

MY OS DRIVE IS NOT FOR GAMES!

It is only for my OS, utility programs like Word and Acrobat, and important documents.  THAT IS IT, DAMN IT!

I don't give a rat's ass that it is going to be Vista standard.  I AM USING XP NOT F**KING VISTA!

Sorry for the strong language but I feel kind of strongly about this issue.

You can change where Windows puts the My Documents folder.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

150MB is pretty big for save game file. I wonder what info is being saved that takes up that much space. My Vampire saves are around 700k, my Oblivion saves are around 2 MB, and even my X2 saves are only 5 MB. X2 is a huge non-linear game that has over 100 sectors that are all constantly changing in realtime. I can only imagine the amoutn of info that has to be kept track of there.

I wonder if NWN2 is saving images as part of its save files? Or sound? I can't imagine what else would take up that kind of space.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ

256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB RAM

I think you should get reasonable fps (I guess around 20-25) with everything disabled.

I can disable everything and run on minimum resolution and get 2.2 FPS in dungeons instead of 2. In outdoor areas, I can get about 4.5 FPS at maximum settings, lowering everything to the minimum increases my FPS to 5. In Neverwinter I get 1.5 FPS no matter what the settings are.

When I tested the settings individually, none of them made any difference at all, the only setting that had any impact on my FPS was the resolution.

I have a Thinkpad T41p:

Pentium M 1700MHz

ATi Radeon Mobility T2 128MB (based on the 9600)

1GB RAM

and I have settings on medium and I get FPS in the teens minimum.

Also, how are you measuring FPS in decimal places?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

NWN2 saves every module and thus area you have visited in the game, and all the info. It can't be the entire module though, since they're only about 10-20mb per module - but how can just scripting and such be that big?

Possibly it could use those saves to store data on creature spawn / placement / stance / status,loot (which we know is eternal), all other scripts, items, containers, and so forth, but... still.

Now I understand why some people complain about the npc AI. Here's me after getting knocked down. :lol: My party is off somewhere far from me. I issue the command to protect me and no one comes as I am surrounded, getting the crap kicked out of me and being knocked out at that.

Thinking ahead.

Yeah don't worry guys I'll keep this in mind when you decide to go off on your own to fight a bunch of enemies. I'll stay behind and watch. Wow that dragon is going to hurt you bad when you won't be getting my spell support.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

150MB is pretty big for save game file.  I wonder what info is being saved that takes up that much space.  My Vampire saves are around 700k, my Oblivion saves are around 2 MB, and even my X2 saves are only 5 MB.  X2  is a huge non-linear game that has over 100 sectors that are all constantly changing in realtime.  I can only imagine the amoutn of info that has to be kept track of there.

I wonder if NWN2 is saving images as part of its save files?  Or sound?  I can't imagine what else would take up that kind of space.

SubBassman made an enormous CEP module (Tortured Hearts) for NwN

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You can change where Windows puts the My Documents folder.

I do not want to change where My Document folder is at. I like it where it is at. It has all my important must keep files in it. It is a place for DOCUMENTS that I am using and working on. That means Word files, PDFs, and notepad text files only. Game files do not belong in the Document folder because they are not documents they are game files game files belong on my game drive. That is why I have a game drive.

My Documents is for documents. Game drive is for games.

How hard of a concept is this?!?!?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Actually, i Have a My Documents/Documents folder where I keep my documents. Huh. :lol:

Downloading beta patch now, maybe this will make my toolset work! WEEE!

Its only going to get larger, Dark Raven. You need to come to Iowa. The land of cheap DSL and corn.

Toolset finally works! I'm seeing it for the first damn time.

Dunno if the game still works, though.

Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ

256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB RAM

I think you should get reasonable fps (I guess around 20-25) with everything disabled.

I can disable everything and run on minimum resolution and get 2.2 FPS in dungeons instead of 2. In outdoor areas, I can get about 4.5 FPS at maximum settings, lowering everything to the minimum increases my FPS to 5. In Neverwinter I get 1.5 FPS no matter what the settings are.

When I tested the settings individually, none of them made any difference at all, the only setting that had any impact on my FPS was the resolution.

I have a Thinkpad T41p:

Pentium M 1700MHz

1GB RAM

Wow, you are lucky! FPS in the teens with a card that is below requirements!

If I get 1 frame in 2 seconds, that would be .5 FPS :x Also, the "showfps" command in the game can show FPS in decimal places.

Actually, i Have a My Documents/Documents folder where I keep my documents. Huh. :x

Downloading beta patch now, maybe this will make my toolset work! WEEE!

BTW Tigranes, I was able to get the toolset to work on my system by switching to the Omega drivers.

EDIT: nevermind, I see the patch already fixed things for you.

Edited by roshan

I have a Thinkpad T41p:

Pentium M 1700MHz

1GB RAM

That's insane, my mind is boggling. I have an Athlon 64 3000+, a 9800 Pro and 1 GB RAM and I can only comfortably run at 800x600 with everything on low. Is this an Intel vs AMD thing?

Edited by Big Bottom

I have a Thinkpad T41p:

Pentium M 1700MHz

1GB RAM

That's insane, my mind is boggling. I have an Athlon 64 3000+, a 9800 Pro and 1 GB RAM and I can only comfortably run at 800x600 with everything on low. Is this an Intel vs AMD thing?

Youve got the same specs as me except Ive got an Intel. I can hardly play the game. Maybe its our 9800 pro?

Edited by roshan