NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

You can change where Windows puts the My Documents folder.

I do not want to change where My Document folder is at. I like it where it is at. It has all my important must keep files in it. It is a place for DOCUMENTS that I am using and working on. That means Word files, PDFs, and notepad text files only. Game files do not belong in the Document folder because they are not documents they are game files game files belong on my game drive. That is why I have a game drive.

My Documents is for documents. Game drive is for games.

How hard of a concept is this?!?!?

Saved game files do fit under the computer interpretation of documents.

They are not documents. They are game files.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

They are not documents. They are game files.

Sorry:

Computer Science. A computer file that is not an executable file and contains data for use by applications.

Originally, the term referred to only a file created in a word processor. When Apple introduced the Macintosh in the mid-1980s, it called every data file a document no matter which software application was used to create it. The terminology migrated to the Windows environment, which later provided a My Documents folder as the default storage location for all personal data. Default folders for pictures, music and videos are located in the My Documents folder. See template and style sheet.

http://www.answers.com/topic/document

It's been like this since as long as I can remember (which would probably be right around the time my Dad picked up a Mac Plus).

Edited by alanschu

The data held in the files is what matters to me. My game data belongs in my Game Drive. That is why I got a game drive, to put my game files in it. I put my Word files, PDFs, and text files that I create in the document folder because they are my documents and not game related. I don't want my non-game material mixed in with my game material.

I need them separated.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

The data held in the files is what matters to me. My game data belongs in my Game Drive. That is why I got a game drive, to put my game files in it. I put my Word files, PDFs, and text files that I create in the document folder because they are my documents and not game related. I don't want my non-game material mixed in with my game material.

I need them separated.

Try this. Put the "My Documents" folder onto your game drive, and treat it like an area for saved games.

Then, on your C drive, create something like "Important Documents" or maybe even just "Documents," or perhaps "Bubaloo" and when you save your Word Files, PDFs, and text files, you put them there.

This seems like a way to separate them to me.

Edited by alanschu

I could but that would give me one less thing to bitch about. Grrrr... :bat:

Damn you and your logic. :aiee:

(By the way, that is a good idea... :thumbsup: )

I just downloaded the beta, no problems with the installation.

1. My frame rate has improved by about 20%. However this is nowhere close to the amount of improvement that I need in order to be able to play properly, since before the patch, I was getting 1-7 FPS depending on the area and on the resolution.

2. Shadows and also water effects do seem to be less intensive.

3. AA has no impact on my frame rate. I have it at 6X. But it doesnt really seem like it does much at all, the graphics look pretty much the same. Isnt it supposed to make jagged edges smooth? However the grass still looks pixelated when I zoom in. Other than grass I havent noticed any jagged edges. The blades of my armor may be a bit smoother now, but this could just be my imagination. Why exactly was there so much fuss about this? Can anyone post screenshots of an area in NWN2 with and without AA so I can see the difference?

4. It seems that power attack no longer turns off randomly, upon character selection, or upon the initiation of normal dialogue, however, I havent tested this much yet. Cinematic dialogue still turns off power attack.

Patched, and I'm not noticing any huge changes in performance (the fixing of the camera issue was welcome, though)

However, I did implement a minor mod, the one that adds clerical domains. The problem is that it seems to clash with the beta patch. The new camera options menu has about half its text replaced by text from the mod. There are 3 sliders, one for "clerics with the elf domain have", one for "clerics with the halfling domain have" and one for "SEBEK" :thumbsup: and one toggle option is "clerics with the orc domain have" I've intuited what the sliders are actually for (although I have to reset them every time I load for some reason), but the toggle is lost on me. It's the button on the lower-left hand corner of the menu.

Did you remove the mod before installing the beta patch? NWN2 seems to check every single file in its base game folder every time it patches, which is why it takes so long. I had to remove my UI mods or the patching would fail becaues of this.

Did you remove the mod before installing the beta patch? NWN2 seems to check every single file in its base game folder every time it patches, which is why it takes so long. I had to remove my UI mods or the patching would fail becaues of this.

I did not. Wasn't aware of the need to remove mods before the patch. The game doesn't seem to have any failings beyond the menu problem. Could possibly run into some new obstacle, but I haven't, yet.

Edited by Pop

Of course, the patcher ran successfully (it didn't with me), so who knows. But then, if the sliders actually work, the text problem seems to me a minor one you can ignore.

So you made it all the way into act 3 at 2 FPS?

.5 - 1.5 FPS was only in Neverwinter and the worst of the dungeon areas, as well as during combat with spell effects going on.

In a normal outdoor or a small indoor area, I had about 3 - 4 FPS.

In extremely rare situations, like outside Amon Jerros haven, I got about 6.

Sometimes (Ex. when completely zoomed into the ground) I would get 7 FPS.

Edited by roshan

Roshan, that is bloody ridiculous. Not even I would play the game with that low of FPS because that would be unplayable. :)

Even my pathetic eMachine can rip out a better performance than that.

Edited by Sand

.5 - 1.5 FPS was only in Neverwinter and the worst of the dungeon areas, as well as during combat with spell effects going on.

Just wondering, but did you actually measure the FPS in some way or are those values your own estimates? They seem way too low for your system specs. :)

FYI, to show the in-game FPS counter simply use the '~' key to call up the console and then type in 'showfps' at the prompt.

I didn't think it was possible to play a game a 2 fps.

2 fps isn't a game; it's a slideshow.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You can change where Windows puts the My Documents folder.

I do not want to change where My Document folder is at. I like it where it is at. It has all my important must keep files in it. It is a place for DOCUMENTS that I am using and working on. That means Word files, PDFs, and notepad text files only. Game files do not belong in the Document folder because they are not documents they are game files game files belong on my game drive. That is why I have a game drive.

My Documents is for documents. Game drive is for games.

How hard of a concept is this?!?!?

Without dragging the thread off-topic even more, this is a problem you are having with the OS. It is Microsoft's decision to:

• improve the woeful security of their OS by adhering to industry-standard ownership rules
  • call the user's "home" area "My Documents", which is the root of your issue.

You might be able to make the "Neverwinter Nights 2" folder in the My Documents into a link to the actual folder (and move the folder to your game folder). Haven't tried it, but it should work.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have just tried the beta patch. I now have the water thingies on and switched to increased resolution. Woohoo!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I tried the beta patch too. Now I'm having a hell of a time controlling my camera because everything moves too fast... ;)

I used the "slider" adjustment bar to lower the speed, but it's still a bit on the fast side.

The anti aliasing was a nice touch though :o

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just wondering, but did you actually measure the FPS in some way or are those values your own estimates? They seem way too low for your system specs. ;)

FYI, to show the in-game FPS counter simply use the '~' key to call up the console and then type in 'showfps' at the prompt.

Yeah, Ive used the showfps command.

When I was testing patch 3, I got a random burst of 11 FPS. I was like WTFOMG!!!!!