NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

I shouldn't have to.  My NWN2 files should be in my NWN2 folder.  Such as my Oblivion files should be in my Oblivion folders.  Like files in like folders.  Makes good sense to me.

Why don't you put your My Documents on your game drive, and just do typical Save As for your Word and other documents on your C drive?

Because the My Documents are for my document files and not my game files.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You people and your multiple saves. I have two saves that I use and they are called Auto and Quick.

:p

I actually have a third save called "Gorth" :)

That one is used as an extra backup for Quicksave when I retire my game in progress for the night. Thats about it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You people and your multiple saves. I have two saves that I use and they are called Auto and Quick.

:p

I actually have a third save called "Gorth" :)

That one is used as an extra backup for Quicksave when I retire my game in progress for the night. Thats about it.

I have two others. One called Aleria and one called Deraldin. Both right before the final battle. I keep a save right before the last battle for each character. My version of BG2's Final Save. :aiee:

I shouldn't have to.  My NWN2 files should be in my NWN2 folder.  Such as my Oblivion files should be in my Oblivion folders.  Like files in like folders.  Makes good sense to me.

Why don't you put your My Documents on your game drive, and just do typical Save As for your Word and other documents on your C drive?

Because the My Documents are for my document files and not my game files.

That is a no brainer. Thanks Microsoft. I wonder what we should put in the folder called My Documents? Oh I know save games from a computer game. LOLZZZ

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Why should Hades have to change the entire way he uses his computer just because of NWN2?

See, this is the problem. You're blaming EVERYTHING on Neverwinter Nights 2. If you noticed, he was bitching and moaning about other games doing the same thing. I offered a solution to his problem, since it would mean that he wouldn't have to worry about space constraints or anything of the like.

Furthermore, it's HARDLY changing "the entire way he uses his computer" as if you choose to move your "My Documents" folder, it asks you if you want to move all the contents as well. The change is so amazingly superficial, and exceptionally easy to do.

I dont hate NWN2. To hate a game is pointless. However I just dont enjoy the game for the various reasons that I have explained in the threads on this forum.

I'd argue that playing something that you don't enjoy is much more pointless.

Also it doesnt make sense that the game box would say that it needs 5.5 GB of space, and then the game takes up 10 GB. (And requires an additional 7 GB to patch!)

You're just grasping at ways to bitch out the game if you honestly expect game developers to make estimates based on SAVED GAMES. They might as well say you need a full 250 GB, since if I was reckless with my saved games that's how much space they would take up.

Edited by alanschu

I'd argue that playing something that you don't enjoy is much more pointless.

Not really. I like building DND characters, I enjoy equipping lots of things, finding loot, min maxing and powergaming. So for me NWN2 is just some sort of interactive character generator that takes a really, really long time. The stronghold is cool and so are some of the NPCs. And the graphics are great.

Other than that the game doesnt have anything else going for it. And the graphics are not worth the awful performance.

In any case I am not playing it anymore. I need to wait for an expansion pack before I can craft the ultimate melee damage dealer. Also I am tired of playing the game at 2 FPS, its too much to take anymore. Right now defragmenting my PC sounds like a much more fun activity than playing NWN2.

You're just grasping at ways to bitch out the game if you honestly expect game developers to make estimates based on SAVED GAMES. They might as well say you need a full 250 GB, since if I was reckless with my saved games that's how much space they would take up.

Dont forget that you need 7 GB of space just to patch the game. Thus the game needs at least 17 GB in order to play and patch. This is a lot more than 5.5.

If I have the required specs then I should be able to play the game. Running at 2FPS is simply not acceptable when I meet the requirements.

Edited by roshan

What are your specs Roshan?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dont forget that you need 7 GB of space just to patch the game. Thus the game needs at least 17 GB in order to play and patch. This is a lot more than 5.5.

???

My NWN2 folder takes up almost 6.5 GB fully patched. The folder in My documents only takes up 93 MB, though I'm not far in the game and I only keep 2 saves, besides autosave and quicksave.

Where on earth does this 17 GB figure come from?

???

My NWN2 folder takes up almost 6.5 GB fully patched. The folder in My documents only takes up 93 MB, though I'm not far in the game and I only keep 2 saves, besides autosave and quicksave.

Where on earth does this 17 GB figure come from?

The game requires 7 gigs of free space for the first patch. It creates backups of all the game files in the event of a botched patching job, then when it successfully patches, it deletes the backups. But it doesn't delete any of the backups until the end of the patch job, so it creates like 7 gigs of backup files. If you run out of space while patching, the patch fails.

Add that to Roshan's ungodly amount of save games which all seem to be late in act 3 if they're all that big, plus the game files, that creates like 17 gigs of required space. Though the 7 gigs isn't required after the first patch.

I don't understand why you need so many saves. I have 11 saves, Auto, Quick, and one for each character.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Saved games in my documents folder is one of the requirements of vista. If you want to bitch and whine about it send e-mail to microsoft.

So does this mean that basically all older games wil be completely incompatible with Vista? Or at least saving will be?

As for the larger issue, I'm actually with Sand. I hate having save games in the My Docs folder, although not exactly for the same reason. I just don't like using it at all. I'm a bit of a control/neat freak when it comes to my computer. I want to decide where everything is going and I want to keep it free of clutter. I've even uninstalled programs I could have considered using simply because they didn't allow me to decide exactly where they were installed (only programs I was on the fence about or similar other software was available, if it's something I'll definitely use then I'll growl a little and leave it be).

I actually hate this about Linux. Tried it out some during the summer, but the lack of control made me very frustrated with it.

I also have issues with games using the My Docs folder because when uninstalling them, the typically don't delete all the files there. Or the one in the game folder for that matter. So that means I have to remember to manually delete two folders instead of one. Not a big issue, but annoying all the same.

I actually hate this about Linux. Tried it out some during the summer, but the lack of control made me very frustrated with it.

I've never used Linux so I don't know personally, but thats the first time I've ever heard someone complain about the lack of control in Linux. Isn't one of its main benefits that you can customize pretty much everything?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You probably can if you're a god enough programmer. But I got the impression the thing I disliked was part of the core of how Linux was designed.

I never got any options on where to install programs and while I could probably save random files outside of my Home folder, it was heavily adviced against.

But someone with more knowledge than me will probably set me straight.

Unix makes you store everything personal in your home directory because you don't have write permissions in any other directories by default (except few select places like /tmp), unlike Windows which has an incredibly retarded default security configuration: user has root privileges. This habit is inherited from DOS and should be burned and forgotten as soon as possible.

And you don't have to be a god programmer to configure permissions in Unix, it is really easy. In fact, even easier than Windows NT permissions.

Edited by Diamond

Actually, it was more where programs go and how harddrives are viewed that I didn't like. Getting permission to place my storage stuff could be done, that I know. But to decide on what harddrive it was to be placed would have been a bit more complex iirc. Doable, though I think.

So to try and stay on topic, any hope for a Linux version of NWN2?

(yeah, I know that question has probably been asked and answered a million times, so I guessthere's no need to bother. It's not like I really care or even use Linux)

Hey, Roshan, if you ever find yourself in Iowa I have a GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E that I am not using which I can lend you. It might help your performance in the game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ

256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB RAM

I think you should get reasonable fps (I guess around 20-25) with everything disabled.

Heja Sverige!!

Hey, Roshan, if you ever find yourself in Iowa I have a GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E that I am not using which I can lend you.  It might help your performance in the game.

Except I think Roshan is using a laptop. -_-

Who uses a laptop to game on? That is just silly.

Hey, Roshan, if you ever find yourself in Iowa I have a GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E that I am not using which I can lend you.  It might help your performance in the game.

Except I think Roshan is using a laptop. -_-

Who uses a laptop to game on? That is just silly.

I did for the past 3 years. And for a good reason too.

Then you are silly. A silly gamer with a good but silly reason. Silly. -_-

Its hard to be mobile when you don't have a car.

Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ

256 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB RAM

I think you should get reasonable fps (I guess around 20-25) with everything disabled.

I can disable everything and run on minimum resolution and get 2.2 FPS in dungeons instead of 2. In outdoor areas, I can get about 4.5 FPS at maximum settings, lowering everything to the minimum increases my FPS to 5. In Neverwinter I get 1.5 FPS no matter what the settings are.

When I tested the settings individually, none of them made any difference at all, the only setting that had any impact on my FPS was the resolution.

Edited by roshan

Do you have v-sync on?

Heja Sverige!!