NWN 2 Henchmen

Dark_Raven

I'd agree with Volourn that the BG and PST party dynamics were better. Carrying every possible CNPC around with you and switching them out at a moment's notice was pretty stupid.

Then again, moving between places was much more simple in those isometric games.

"BG NPC's had little to nothing to do with the main plot, though. At times it felt a bit unrealistic that these people just kept following you around unquestioningly. I much prefer KOTOR's NPC's in that regard."

You played a different BG than me, I guess. *shrugs*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"BG NPC's had little to nothing to do with the main plot, though. At times it felt a bit unrealistic that these people just kept following you around unquestioningly. I much prefer KOTOR's NPC's in that regard."

You played a different BG than me, I guess. *shrugs*

Now let's see. Which NPC's actually had something to do with the storyline?

In BG1, there was Imoen, and even then her actual connection was only revealed in BG2. There were Khalid and Jaheira, whose connections were simply that they were old friends of your mentor. Oh yeah, and Kivan's girlfriend was killed by Tazok. That's about the best motive of any BG1 NPC to follow you around that long.

That's it for BG1 as far as I can tell.

In BG2, there was Yoshimo. And later Sarevok.

Did I miss anyone?

Imoen in BG2 is as much a part of the Bhaalspawn saga as the PC consideirng she is one. Add to the torture she suffered at the hands of Irenicus, and her history with the character, no wodner she;ll stick with your character.

Jaheria has more than one motivation to stick with you. Friends with your mentor, and her husband was killed by TBBG. Not to mention, as a druid, she must think what Irenicus is doing is completely unnatural.

The paladin goofball also probably doesn;t approve of a chaotic mage running amok as Irenicus does. As good a reason as any to join you.

While many of the other npcs aren't diretcly tied with the main stories (in either game), they do have their reasons to stick with you.

On top of that, the npcs don't follow you 'unquestioningly'. In fact, they quetsion you all the time hence why they cna leave you depending on reputation and actions.

KOTOR npcs just follow you blindly as they are forced into your party. Most of them are just there because they can be. They're there simply ebcause BIO made them and didn't want them ignored or BIO's feelings would be hurt that x npc would not be experienced by y number of players.

Lame.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BG NPC's had little to nothing to do with the main plot, though. At times it felt a bit unrealistic that these people just kept following you around unquestioningly. I much prefer KOTOR's NPC's in that regard.

Being part of the main plot wasn't a concern for me, it was the fact that the KOTOR characters were baggage. Sure, Carth and Bastila were central to the storyline, but Canderous helps you steal the Ebon Hawk, HK works as a translator, and after that they never, ever leave. Take that over to KOTOR2 and you get GOTO, who says "I'm coming with you." even though you've got no fathomable reason to keep him along, seeing how he sucks as both a character and a plot device. You can't say no, you can't ditch him, and he can't die. You could just not use him, but hey, he's always around. At least in BG if you needed a CNPC to do something you could dump them afterwards, or they could die outright. There was never that possibility in KOTOR. Just imagine what NWN would be like if you had no way of avoiding constant interaction with Deekin.

not going to happen in NWN2, ferret decided that you need to keep some party members with you on certain key points of the game.

I used to hate that sort of thing - when the game makes unexpected decisions for you/splits up your party or forces you to use certain members without your sayso. Ever since Summoner tho, I don't mind anymore. It really just depends on how it's done.

Didn't console games tend to do this a bit more often than PC games, at least in the past? I seem to remember reading reviews that mentioned that, ages ago. If so, then since consoles are starting to take over somewhat, it's not surprising to me that it's starting to occur with seeming more frequency in PC titles.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I HATED goto. And it's really a stupid deus ex machina how you really can't get rid of his device.

Yeah, they really force your hand. It would have been better had they made the character more useful or kept him in the end-game, but as he is he would have been much better as a Hanharr-type recurring villain. He's the perfect example of the CNPC you should have an option to fight and kill.

They should have had killable civies/townies.  What better way to get a negative shift in alignment or rep?

Yep, when I first introduced the KOTOR series to my friends, the (only) complaint they had was that if you were a sith, you still basically had to ask people permission to kill them. Maybe that was just because of the relatively small amount of NPCs compared to other games. A powerful character would easily be able to wipe an entire planet of its NPCs in a relatively short amount of time.

They should have had killable civies/townies.  What better way to get a negative shift in alignment or rep?

Yep, when I first introduced the KOTOR series to my friends, the (only) complaint they had was that if you were a sith, you still basically had to ask people permission to kill them. Maybe that was just because of the relatively small amount of NPCs compared to other games. A powerful character would easily be able to wipe an entire planet of its NPCs in a relatively short amount of time.

Oddly that was my main complaint too. :ph34r:

NPCs should not be forced upon you IMO. If it is required that they come with you in a quest, you should have the choice of taking them or not. If you do not want to take them, then you should not be able to complete that quest or the other alternative is you would receive minimal experience points compared to taking them. The choice should be yours.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

NPCs should not be forced upon you IMO. If it is required that they come with you in a quest, you should have the choice of taking them or not. If you do not want to take them, then you should not be able to complete that quest or the other alternative is you would receive minimal experience points compared to taking them. The choice should be yours.

Eh?

I thought in that in some parts of the game you need your henchman, because there

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yes, but it shouldn't be forced on you.  Sure you might need a rogue henchie but if you don't want one or that your Paladin disdains rogues why should he be forced to have a rogue?  He just won't get the goodies in the lcoked and trapped chest then.

Meh, I think that

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I think if the survival chances of your character build was only 5% against the werewolf you'd be pretty happy that Nines was available, if he was able to save you. But you'd probably have shot Nines in the nuts and dumped him on the sidewalk somewhere back in the first act.

Spreading beauty with my katana.