GOTHIC 3 - GOLD!!!!!

elkston

I don't get that. That screenshot looks awesome yet others look not so good. Why such a variety? Presuming that's a Gothic 3 screenshot...

Different builds/photographs from a monitor/screenshots manupilated in photoshop/screenshots on different settings, jada, jada, jada....

By that, yes, it's a bit difficult to tell if the graphics are great or not.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

By that, yes, it's a bit difficult to tell if the graphics are great or not.

I think the graphics have the potential to be great.. if you own a gaming system worth $8000.

Edit: speeling.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"...great importance to on a very good quality which suits the expectations of the fans"

I think i'll wait for the reviewers to be the judge of that.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1158935148468.jpg

This is what's going to make our computers cry.

I love snow. Why don't they use snowy settings more in games?

woah. That looks rad. :huh:

*upgrades*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

http://www.rpgdot.com/#51047

Apparently, Piranha Bytes second attempt at a gold master is a bit more successful. Three german magazines are reporting that the major bugs are gone (well, except one that can be fixed by a reload) but that a lot of minor bugs remain. It is in a playable state at least, so nothing a few patches can't fix.

I'm still getting it on the release day.

Have we actually heard Gothic 3's music yet? I haven't been excited by any computer game musics for a long time now, especially with the stupid Soule-styles. Jeremy Soule is so uninspired in 99% of his pieces it's a pain to have to listen to them on repeat in-game.

What's Rosenkranz' style?

They made a homepage just for the soundtrack. Weird, but here it is:

http://www.gothic3soundtrack.com/

It's in german, but you can at least listen to three of the songs to the right on the starting page.

Ok, at least this newsbit sounds comforting.

Today at (4th October 2006) 0815 a.m. the completed version of Gothic 3 arrived at our office, the one which Piranha Bytes sent to the factory presses last week. I wasn't be able to contain my curiosity, so I installed the game immediately on my notebook, which was available at that moment. After two hours of playing I'm cautiously announcing: There are no problems with the installation or launching of Gothic 3. I haven't encountered any bugs and the game hasn't crashed, not even once. With my medium-high-configurated laptop (CPU 2.3GHz, GPU Go 7800GTX, 1GB RAM) the game has been running relatively fluently on medium details (resol. 1024x768), only occassionally stuttering, for example when running by a campfire surrounded by NPC's.

Getting started in the game is smooth and easy, thanks to dynamical tips and hints. So far I've been able to complete some simple quests and had battles with orcs, scavengers and boars. One thing of note in combat: The hero has a really fast attack with quick left-mouse-button clicks and the right-mouse-button clicks are for blocks. Even as a fan of Gothic 2 I've grown really comfortable with the new controls. The saving and loading of the game is alright too.

With a tear in my eye, I took out the DVD from my laptop and delivered it to my workmate Tania in order for her to begin testing Gothic 3. My own opinion after two hours worth of playing: I can't wait to play Gothic 3 on my high-end PC. Fear of a "totally-bugged-game" has disappeared completely after those two hours. All the more I can look forward to the release date. The atmosphere of Gothic 3 is noticeable from the first minute of playing, supporting music is a masterpiece... and I've already found a King's Sorrel :p) (Don't know if it's as valuable as the ones in Gothic 2). Graphics looks nice on medium details on the notebook, too. But, hardware requirements are notably high.

Roughly translated from: http://www.eurogamer.de/article.php?article_id=68363

2 hours bug-free isn't really reassuring, but at least the known errors in installation, etc, have apparently been fixed.

Well, its good to know the game can actually be installed and launched now. :p

I'm totally going to buy it once its released in the US, but I'm in no rush. I like to support dev houses I like by buying games in the first 2 weeks if possible, but that probably won't happen here.

Some day game companies, publishers and devs both, are going to realize that they can make more money if they release bugfree games.

No skin off my back though. I just wait until its patched, or until it becomes apparent that no one cares enough to patch it. If I end up picking it up for 1/2 the price after waiting, then its the game companies that are losing not me. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm still waiting for the input from this forum before deciding wether on buying it or not.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just read on the official forums that they removed climbing from Gothic 3. That's the one skill that made Gothic/Gothic 2 stand out from all the other RPG's I know of.

I think I'm going to cancel my preorder. :rolleyes:

It seems there's no more diving as well. :) It kind of feels like they've "streamlined" the Z-axis and that's not a good thing at all. IMO, while not exactly critical to the overall gameplay, these two features have greatly increased the feeling of the player's freedom to explore the world in the prequels.

For example, climbing (mantling) and to a lesser degree diving could often be used to explore certain areas in many different ways, not all of which were intended by the developers. While it was possible to climb onto the "edge of the world" (i.e. out of the worldmap) on a few rare occasions climbing and mantling was mostly used by characters specialized in ranged combat and frail magic users for sniping. This wasn't an abuse or an exploit though, as the NPC's and some monsters could climb and mantle as well and they would, more often than not, reach the player before he could land the killing blow. Diving was employed to a lesser degree, but there were some interesting locations (i.e. Xardas' sunken tower) which could only be reached that way.

Yeah.. they've basically removed what made Gothic feel special and made.. something else. Something which I'm not sure I'm especially interested in any longer. I mean, what's left? Running in corridors (like in the KorOR-series) and combat? Gee, welcome Diablo clone #1451345.

Ok, after hearing about those changes and since it won't work very well on my rig anyway, I think I'm going to buy from a bargain bin later.

Which I would probably have done anyway. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds