GOTHIC 3 - GOLD!!!!!

elkston

...which Thief 3 had. :)

I really hate keeping multiple save games because I"m a packrat that doesn't like clutter, even in the save game list. I always forget to, so I'm punished in these games.

They probably wont delay it again, though..

Amazingly, I've never lost a savegame in Thief 3, although I have heard that a lot of people were having such problems. I guess it could have been a specific hardware related issue or something since it completely bypassed my old rig on which I've played the game at that time. :)"

However, in the case of Gothic 3, savegame corruption coupled with insanely long loading times (2 minutes per quickload!) gives me enough reasons to wait for a patch or two. :ph34r:

BTW, more on loading times and performance issues from the WoG preview (translated):

Startup and loading times of Gothic 3 with different amounts of RAM:

2 GB RAM

Startup 1:10 Minutes

Loading a savegame: ca. 0:30 Minutes

Saving: 0:07 Minutes

Game runs smooth with some occasional (very) minor stuttering.

1,5 GB

Startup: 2:17 Minutes

Loading a savegame: 1:29 Minutes

Saving: 0:15 Minutes

Game is still very playable and fairly smooth.

1 GB

Startup: 3:05 Minutes

Loading a savegame: 1:48 Minutes

Saving: 0:34 Minutes

Still fairly playable but with notably more performance issues than with 1.5GB RAM.

512 MB

Startup: 4:50 Minutes

Loading a savegame: 2:20 Minutes

Saving: 0:56 Minutes

With 512MB Gothic 3 can be played only by hardcore fans who are willing to endure some suffering. It's practically a stream of constant stuttering.

I'm glad that i upgraded to 2 gb ddr2-ram

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

2GB DDR2 RAM? This is what's lying on my desk, waiting to be installed:

Upgrade.jpg

Core 2 Duo E6600, Abit AW9D-MAX, 2GB DDR2-6400 Corsair Twin2X.

Oh, and since it's not really visible in the picture:

"Dual blades of visual fury with ATI CrossFire support for the best convenience in your dual graphics needs."

That's actually written on the Abit motherboard package.. :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

2GB DDR2 RAM? This is what's lying on my desk, waiting to be installed:

Core 2 Duo E6600, Abit AW9D-MAX, 2GB DDR2-6400 Corsair Twin2X.

Oh, and since it's not really visible in the picture:

"Dual blades of visual fury with ATI CrossFire support for the best convenience in your dual graphics needs."

That's actually written on the Abit motherboard package.. :)

E6300, Abit AB9-Pro(i don't care about SLI) and a Geforce 7900GTO 512 mb RAM(same clockspeeds as a 7900GTX, but 200

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, the official Gothic 3 forum was overloaded last night so I suspect one million germans have found their way there to complain their grubby little fingers off about the bugs. I'll check the mayhem today.

Oh, and my Collector's Edition should arrive by mail today.

Edit: Btw, my new GPU is a Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX 512 GDDR4. It isn't visible in the picture because it hasn't arrived yet. Supposed to arrive on the 17'th, almost a week after I've gotten my Gothic 3. Annoying.

Edited by mkreku

Uhm.. if your preference is Bioware style games than this is DEFINITELY not for you.

Gothic has always been about kicking the players butt. You'll fall off cliffs and die, you'll eat poisoned food and die, you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong guy and die. I bet it's possible to shoot oneself in the foot with a bow and die.

It's also (usually) a very unpolished game. There will be typos in the dialogue, there will be clipping problems in the graphics and, until at least three patches in, there will be lots of crashes to desktop and other assorted technical problems. You really have to enjoy this type of (rather unique) game-style to endure these games.

So basically, nope, probably not for you. Not until the bargain bin at least.

Edit: typoezzz.

Edited by mkreku

Havent you got it yet, Mkreku? Or have webhallen given delivery priority to some dodgy MMO expansion as usual?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, I've got it. It is lying right next to me on my desk as I type. But I am hesitant to install it. I have read so many negative things about the game that I'm going to wait until I hear a few "professional" reviews and more player reviews before I break the "plombering". I want to be sure I can send it back if it turns out that it sucks donkeyballs.

Edit: Added a picture of the rather nice box.

Gothic3CE.jpg

Edited by mkreku

Come on, Mkreku. We all know you are gonna install the game no matter what the pundits say. Just make the plunge without the drama. You wouldn't have bought the game otherwise. LOL :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ok, I lied :-)

I am waiting for my Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4 to arrive before I install it.

I AM SUCH A WEAK, WEAK CREATURE!

Meh. I do the same thing with certain games. NWN2 is one such example. I don't care what other dinks (including me and my complaints) think about it. I preorder it, and I will install it no matter how the previews, and reviews state.

Same (but in reverse) for Oblivion. I don't care that it got a million positive reviews. I'm not buying it until it's in the bargain bin.

As for Gothic 3 (to stay on topic), I'll pick it up early next year whatever the price is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That is a pretty nice box you got there, shame it wasn't made out of metal. Or even better, steel :D

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

That is a pretty nice box you got there, shame it wasn't made out of metal. Or even better, steel :D

And I haven't even opened it yet! The frustrating thing is that I'm not supposed to install Gothic 3 until I've built my new rig (according to my stupid plans), and my video card has been sent to me from the hardware shop, but it didn't reach me before the weekend. So now I have to wait until Monday before getting the damn card.

There's just no use installing a game like this on the 1 GB RAM machine I have now.