Jade Empire: Special Edition announced

Morgoth

Define "speeding through the game."

My first playthrough of Fallout still had me check every grid to see if there was something of interest there (with the exception of The Glow, since I hated dealing with the radiation).

On a final note, the first playthrough of most of my games, I tend to see things through the eyes of my character.  Which usually results in me responding to an urgent situation with, well, urgency.  Rather than using the messed up RPG mechanic of placing an extreme emergency upon the character, yet still allowing him to take his time, dawdle around doing side quests and wandering around town.  Who cares if there's a giant Orc army outside preparing to attack, because the game waits for me!

I mean, my Vault was only running critically low on water, but hey, I have no problems running off and doing some random radscorpion killing.  Even though you have already told me where the next Vault (and most obvious lead to finding a new water chip) is.  I mean, I have 150 days, which is plenty of time (despite the fact that I literally have no idea about anything of the outside world, and am merely hoping Vault 15 has one).  And hey, when they didn't, I knew I still had mountains of time.  No real urgency, still 80 days to go.  I'm sure there's one around here somewhere, since it is, after all, a video game.

Hear hear.

I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Fallout as much if not for the time limit. That didn't stop me from getting everything done afterwards.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Define "speeding through the game."

My first playthrough of Fallout still had me check every grid to see if there was something of interest there (with the exception of The Glow, since I hated dealing with the radiation).

On a final note, the first playthrough of most of my games, I tend to see things through the eyes of my character.  Which usually results in me responding to an urgent situation with, well, urgency.  Rather than using the messed up RPG mechanic of placing an extreme emergency upon the character, yet still allowing him to take his time, dawdle around doing side quests and wandering around town.  Who cares if there's a giant Orc army outside preparing to attack, because the game waits for me!

I mean, my Vault was only running critically low on water, but hey, I have no problems running off and doing some random radscorpion killing.  Even though you have already told me where the next Vault (and most obvious lead to finding a new water chip) is.  I mean, I have 150 days, which is plenty of time (despite the fact that I literally have no idea about anything of the outside world, and am merely hoping Vault 15 has one).  And hey, when they didn't, I knew I still had mountains of time.  No real urgency, still 80 days to go.  I'm sure there's one around here somewhere, since it is, after all, a video game.

It was neat that they implemented a set time that you needed to get water or get the chip for the Vault. It would added to realistic game play, plus you knew where you stood if you were out exploring the wastes doing menial tasks.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

FO took les than 20 hiouyrs. How can anyone take 60? WOWSERS! Heck, even FO2, whcih is substantially longer than FO1 was 30-40 hours taking your time.

JE took me 25-30 hours. Anyone who finishes JE in under 20 hours obviously ddin't try to experience the game; but rushed through it. I could see even 15 hours udner certain circumstances; but unde rthan that, you are simply lying or it's your 2nd+ time through and you are just rushing through.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anyone who finishes JE in under 20 hours obviously ddin't try to experience the game; but rushed through it.

Are you STILL going on about this? I told you I finished Jade Empire in one sitting, in one day. It was around 12 hours roughly, on Normal. No walkthroughs, no prior experience. I know that I missed quite a few side-quests (the game didn't engage me enough to go through all of them), but I hardly ever needed to restart due to the easy battle (should have started on Hard straight away), easy puzzles, and straightforward, generic dialogue that you just read, instead of read, and think about. There are rarely points in JE where you stop to think, or you stop to wonder, or to feel dilemma; it just plods you through until the ending that you foresee from the very first conversation with the 'master'. If I tried to do everything I could see 5 more hours being added there, due to running around; so sure, under 20.

I took around 30 for FO2 on my first try I believe, but I was stuck on some areas and tried to clear the military base WAY too early. Still, I took +60 hours on Oblivion to finish nearly everything and I take even longer on BG2, so..

FO took les than 20 hiouyrs. How can anyone take 60? WOWSERS! Heck, even FO2, whcih is substantially longer than FO1 was 30-40 hours taking your time.

JE took me 25-30 hours. Anyone who finishes JE in under 20 hours obviously ddin't try to experience the game; but rushed through it. I could see even 15 hours udner certain circumstances; but unde rthan that, you are simply lying or it's your 2nd+ time through and you are just rushing through.

You are playing too fast. Take it slow, smell the flowers, explore.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Heh. True.

The point was I never had to take to think of what my character would say. I knew 'instantly'.

But, yeah, some dialogue lines do make you say 'what?", or 'no way', '....'!!! :ph34r:

When I first found the sheep-loving orc in Gothic 2, it really made my chin drop. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There was nothing like that in Jade Empire.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Where was that? I can't remember an orc with a bestialic bend.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Where was that? I can't remember an orc with a bestialic bend.

You can say that again.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

oh lord my dear sweet (not so innocent) eyes... Mus do we really have to take this conversation that way?

Oh and I'm looking foreward to giving JE a shot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yes, orcs and bestiality are the important matter here. Don't drift on-topic.

I'm so not gonna be a mod this way.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

SHAZAM!

whoiswho_shazam_1.jpg

only you can prevent topic derailment

I think that if Jade Empire is anything like the lost chapters it will do well...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The orc with the sheep fetish is found when you go to the castle in the old valley. If you played Gothic, you'll know where the old arena was (it is burnt down to the ground in Gothic 2), just outside the besieged castle. If you go to the entrance of the arena (or what's left of it) there's a dark room to the left. You'll hear some strange noises coming from there if you walk past (it's what made me look) and if you go inside you'll find the orc and the sheep in a.. compromising situation. The orc attacks as soon as he spots you though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ah, there. Near the chest with which I used to cheat the arena system.

Not gonna go looking fro him, but that's nifty to know.

kirottu said:

"There was nothing like that in Jade Empire."

Maybe not. But, I'll take the Ghost Children In The Orphanage quest than some silly orc bestiality.

I want quality mature stuff; not immature sheep screwing.

Just a matter of taste.

P.S. Plus, I thought we were discussing dialogue not over the top haha funny actions.

OMG! That orc screwed a sheep! LOLOLOLOLLIPOP!! So deep!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Volourn

Well, I was. Then something imploded. :)

As I said, if one had played previous Bioware games, it was painfully obvious from the first Master conversation that he was going to be either the main villain of the game, or something along those lines - definitely not a kindly old mentor that dies soon after, or continues to give you stupid advice that is rarely useful. Also the Good/Evil choices (Open Palm, yeah right) were painfully textbook; I cringed numerous times because the choice I WANTED to make, say, to help the beggar, was written in such a sickening and unattractive way that I would actually hesitate. The hesitation didn't last long, of course, because ht eother dialogue options were written just as bad. This wasn't the case all across the game, but the dialogue quality frequently ranged between mediocre and unbearable crap.

edit: Let it be said, though, that I would not have finished the game if I didn't think it had any merit at all. It was another solid modern-Bioware production in that it was generally well polished, rounded things up nicely, had a moderately interesting combat and generally gave just enough to keep it going until the end, which if it came any later would have been repetitive. I certainly didn't like the "afterworld" sequences because they were 1/ ridiculous, 2/ not stylish and 3/ by now the combat was getting boring.

Edited by Tigranes

Did they go into great depth about the relationship between Orc and Sheep? I mean, was it a coming of age tale? Or was it "yar yar sheep hump"?

Anyway, I love JE. Just a short, sweet game, with a story that I'm quite fond of.

Plus, Radiant Jen Zi is HAWT.

amirite

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

"This wasn't the case all across the game, but the dialogue quality frequently ranged between mediocre and unbearable crap."

JE's dialogue is better than ANYTHING BIO has written before.

Again, I point to the Orphanage Quest.

Game over.

JE's dialogue is better than ANYTHING BIO has written before.

Orphanage Quest was good. So what?

That girl companion you find early on. All her dialogue was crap. All of the master's dialogue was crap. Most of your companions' dialogue were crap, unless you like that crazy Ho guy. All of the 'mundane' dialogue was crap. Etc, etc, etc...

I didn't mention BG anywhere, because my love for its gameplay gives me bias. BG could not exist in this univarse and JE's dialogue would still be crap. In fact, JE would still have crap dialogue if I was Jamaican and couldn't read English. It's just bad.