The Music Thread - Currently Listening To

Baley

Summoning - Land of the Dead

Eerie, atmospheric metal at its best.  And the fact that it's Tolkien inspired doesn't hurt either.

Kalmah - Hollow Heart

Simple, to-the-point melodeath at its best. And the fact that it's bog-inspired doesn't hurt either.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've always been partial to John Cale's rendition - but yes, I agree, Buckley completely nails it, basically, he improves on the original in every conceivable way; and I love, Cohen, he's one of my favourite lyricists (along with Tom Waits, GZA, Pharoahe Monch and Rob Wright - eh, Mike Skinner ain't bad and neither is Nick Cave; eh, babble over.)

PS: I got this from the Hallelujah's Wikipedia page - a list of H. covers.

PPS: Tim Buckley - Gypsy Woman.

I think I'm gonna look for my Mingus at Antibes tape - wait, no: Blues and Roots. I went book hunting the other day, looking for his autobiography (his life and writing gets my mental mojo huddling), well anyway, I couldn't find it and ended up with: Gal

Edited by Baley

I've always been partial to John Cale's rendition - but yes, I agree, Buckley completely nails it, basically, he improves on the original in every conceivable way; and I love, Cohen, he's one of my favourite lyricists (along with Tom Waits, GZA, Pharoahe Monch and Rob Wright - eh, Mike Skinner ain't bad and neither is Nick Cave; eh, babble over.)

Yeah, I like Cohen too, but his version of Hallelujah just sounds really bland next to Buckley's.

Regarding Tim Buckley, I must say I find Gypsy Woman the least interesting song on "Happy Sad".

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

I have a really good live version of Jeff doing Hallelujah. Haven't heard Wainwright's interpretation, but I know Cohen's original isn't special at all.

Rufus is great, but his version of Hallelujah just sounds phoned in compared to Buckley's. If I had never heard the Buckley version, just like those billions of people who first heard the song in Shrek, I probably would think the RW version was fantastic. However, that wasn't how it went down.

Rufus' dad, Loudon Wainwright III, is a great singer-songwriter in his own right, actually. He used to be on the BBC all the time doing clever, funny songs. He wrote a song fairly soon after Rufus was born called "Rufus is a Tit Man" that basically talked about how much his son enjoyed breastfeeding. So he figured when his son grew up, Rufus would prefer the T to the A, so to speak.

Of course, the smashing irony here is that Rufus turned out to be absolutely gay.

ryanadams.jpg

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Sweet Illusions

Edit: I also heard the Buckley version before Cohen's original. I gotta say, the original completely underwhelmed me. But then, it's Cohen. He's a great poet and writer, but the delivery is a bit lacking.

And now it's

Crowded House - Distant Sun

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Nice pick!

This whole page of music rocks, actually.

(Yes, even the Manson song. It's one of the few of his I can tolerate.)

Anyway, I'm listening to Thin Lizzy's "Dancing in the Moonlight."

Edit: 'cause I found a YouTube link. That site is the best thing to happen to the Internet since Mr. T Ate My Balls.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Venetian Snares - Befriend a Childkiller

What a satisfying mind**** this song is. I can't get it out of my head that the VS got Sulik to do the voice samples on the song :- not just the voice, either, but the character. Did Sulik ever say anything (non-floating text) when you killed children? :ph34r:

*Edit - On second thought, the first line seems to be more Hakunin than Sulik. But man, I find that uncanny right now. There's a "music video" up on Youtube here (NSFW!), which like so many Youtube music vids, is made from an anime, in this case Elfin Lied, which is kind of an unholy crossbreed of Akira and Neon Genesis Evangelion (while that may sound good to some, I didn't care for any of it). It's ultraviolent (pretty much lifts Akira's entire playbook) and contains some anime nudity, so be forewarned. Hell, you can just minimize the window. The voice kicks in about 1:10.

Edited by Pop

Venetian Snares - Befriend a Childkiller

What a satisfying mind**** this song is. I can't get it out of my head that the VS got Sulik to do the voice samples on the song :- not just the voice, either, but the character. Did Sulik ever say anything (non-floating text) when you killed children? :ph34r:

*Edit - On second thought, the first line seems to be more Hakunin than Sulik. But man, I find that uncanny right now. There's a "music video" up on Youtube here (NSFW!), which like so many Youtube music vids, is made from an anime, in this case Elfin Lied, which is kind of an unholy crossbreed of Akira and Neon Genesis Evangelion (while that may sound good to some, I didn't care for any of it). It's ultraviolent (pretty much lifts Akira's entire playbook) and contains some anime nudity, so be forewarned. Hell, you can just minimize the window. The voice kicks in about 1:10.

nice song, and i gotta say i love akira. i read the manga when i was 13 and it's been my fav comic ever since. the movie is awful though.

edit: if you wanna go further down the road VS is on, check out Yellow Swans (sometimes Die Yellow Swans or D. Yellow Swans) and Black Dice, to name a two. Also if you really like noise, check out Masonna and The Incapacitants. Japanese noise of death indeed :)

Edited by Lare Kikkeli