The Music Thread - Currently Listening To

Baley

Dissection - Night's blood

stormfront.jpg

Ooookay, I'll take back every negative thing I've ever written about Dissection, this album is musically superior to pretty much any black metal album I've heard since before Borknagar's Epic or Immortal's At the Heart of Winter. I'm like the worst possible judge for this genre, since I'm not really a fan of any of these bands and think it's really hard to mosh to the rythm of anything in the genre, which severely degrades the whole metal experience. Especially, since the word "brutal" gets thrown around too often and and that's a surefire way to get the me interested, since generally in metal, the word "brutal" is often just a different way of saying that an album is "as groovy as a moose on steroids". The sad truth is; most black metal albums aren't.

Screeching and having a frigid sounding wall of guitars on your hands goes quite a ways to ensure metal enjoyment, but those things alone don't mean jack crap, if the album is just one storm of wails and guitar-wrecking soundwall. I know some folks get off on that crap, but I prefer more than a semblance of melody and rythm on my aural vices of choice. If I want a nonstop loop of grind, I'll go to a glue factory meat processing unit and mosh away. I call a Meh. Technicality and absolute bombastic epicness are great themes on where to build an album in a genre so retarded as metal, but they're like two fifths of what consists a great album. Groove(or jam), great rythm and sense of pace are often what's lacking here on the bm-side and no matter how ****ing "Norwegian" you think you are, your music is still brain-dead cacophony and guitar-wanking if the last three fifths of awesomeness are nowhere to be found.

Fortunately enough, Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane has no lack of melody, pace and groove. Someone could whine about how it's "too melodic" or how the band members were a bunch of chaos magick pissants who tried to be eeeebil. True and true, but does this somehow degrade the album? I think not. Lyrics are lyrics and what does it matter if the lead man only hired guys who he thought were atheist enough, if the music really shines. He's dead and buried, but this stuff...damn this will live on. For the little jonn

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

And I was surprised at how good the FYC did on the Elvis tune. They even had the suits and the moves goin' on there!

FYC were absolutely the **** when I was growing up. I can remember being stranded at my grandparents' place in the middle of nowhere and my old cassette walkman didn't have enough juice left to play a tape. So I turned on the tuner, found an FM station which was playing 'She Drives Me Crazy' and was hooked!!

Fine Young Cannibals -Johnny Come Home

if you thought the dancing was weird in the Elvis video, you ain't seen nothing yet.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That's a helluva review there, Muser. I'm lost on most of your reference points, but that's because I am miles away from your level of black metal lore. In fact I don't have any black metal lore...

I'll give that second FYC a view when I get home tonight. First though, it's another hour of work and then some recreational slow-pitch softball.

I should tell you guys, I'm a regular Bobby Bonilla out there. Except for the switch-hitting. And the fact that he is a large black man, and I am not.

Natalie Imbruglia - Wishing I Was There

:(

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Dissection - Night's blood

stormfront.jpg

Ooookay, I'll take back every negative thing I've ever written about Dissection, this album is musically superior to pretty much any black metal album I've heard since before Borknagar's Epic or Immortal's At the Heart of Winter. I'm like the worst possible judge for this genre, since I'm not really a fan of any of these bands and think it's really hard to mosh to the rythm of anything in the genre, which severely degrades the whole metal experience. Especially, since the word "brutal" gets thrown around too often and and that's a surefire way to get the me interested, since generally in metal, the word "brutal" is often just a different way of saying that an album is "as groovy as a moose on steroids". The sad truth is; most black metal albums aren't.

Screeching and having a frigid sounding wall of guitars on your hands goes quite a ways to ensure metal enjoyment, but those things alone don't mean jack crap, if the album is just one storm of wails and guitar-wrecking soundwall. I know some folks get off on that crap, but I prefer more than a semblance of melody and rythm on my aural vices of choice. If I want a nonstop loop of grind, I'll go to a glue factory meat processing unit and mosh away. I call a Meh. Technicality and absolute bombastic epicness are great themes on where to build an album in a genre so retarded as metal, but they're like two fifths of what consists a great album. Groove(or jam), great rythm and sense of pace are often what's lacking here on the bm-side and no matter how ****ing "Norwegian" you think you are, your music is still brain-dead cacophony and guitar-wanking if the last three fifths of awesomeness are nowhere to be found.

Fortunately enough, Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane has no lack of melody, pace and groove. Someone could whine about how it's "too melodic" or how the band members were a bunch of chaos magick pissants who tried to be eeeebil. True and true, but does this somehow degrade the album? I think not. Lyrics are lyrics and what does it matter if the lead man only hired guys who he thought were atheist enough, if the music really shines. He's dead and buried, but this stuff...damn this will live on. For the little jonn

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Satanic Bible, Satanic Grimoire, we're basically arguing semantics here. But, the suicide note is what really tugs on the old heartstrings...

"I'm going away for a long, long time. I'm going to Transylvania."

Lemme guess, the sea was red and the sky was gray. He was wondering how tomorrow could ever follow today, right?

Sigh.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Something I Can't Have

Satanic Bible, Satanic Grimoire, we're basically arguing semantics here.

"Man, they're, like, totally different. I mean, for starters LaVeyan Chaos Magick is totally fake, man, Jon was into the real stuff, not some egotistical|atheistic mongrel pussified bulls[-]it. Man, Jon was the real deal, man, he was, like, Crowley's successor, his real heir, blood of his blood, sperm of his sperm, you know about that fake NASA hellspawn? Well, that was a total bummer, man, engineered by the American Government to control the nation's youth, Jon was gonna end all that, he was gonna trigger the Armageddon, powered by his music, man. This is so obviously a cover-up, I'm not sure "who" or "how" or even "why", but it's gotta be, man, Jon would never leave us, his music was here to guide us, to...

I am the Antichrist

It's what I was meant to be

Your God left me behind

And set my soul to be free

Watching disciples

Of the satanic rule

Pentagram of blood

Holds the jackal's truth

Searching for the answer

Christ hasn't come

Awaiting the final moment

The birth of Satan's son

Those are the words of the Slayer, the sixth prophet's dead, the gates of heaven shall unbar and Jesus "The Rapist" Christ'll come down to Earth and screw my sweet old mum up the poophole while race wars, and religious wars, consume the earth. The sixth prophet's dead. Free your mind and your ass will follow. Un-Amen. Un-God Bless."

- The Un-Baley.

But, the suicide note is what really tugs on the old heartstrings...

"I'm going away for a long, long time. I'm going to Transylvania."

Yeah, basically, he was bonkers, one of those awful bastards guided by their own dementia and self-fellating dreams of grandeur. Thankfully, he won't be releasing new music anytime soon (Maha Kali was awful anyway), I'm sure we can all find a little bit of hope (for the future) in that. Maybe praise the Lord or Lords or Consciousness or whatever. I dunno, but it's one less homophobe|murderer|fundie out there, and while I don't usually celebrate other bastards' deaths, I'ma gonna make an exception, drink a glass of wine and think how happy being alive makes me. Not much of a grand celebration, granted, I'm as poor as dirt.

Oh, and I like the first 5 tracks off Blackberry Belle (I'll listen to the rest later). Maybe I'll pick up Powder Burns. Any good?

Arrested Development - Raining Revolution.

Powder Burns has some great songs on it. It's a very good album, but I don't like it as much as Blackberry Belle. Powder Burns is more of a rock album; the songs sound like they're built for arenas. It's got all the bombast, but most songs are missing the groove. By contrast, Blackberry Belle's songs seem to be written for smoke-filled clubs where the air is heavy and the music hits you like punch in the throat.

Toots and the Mayals - Let Down

From Radiodread: a Easy-Star All-Stars produced reggae remake of OK Computer. It's the follow up to Dub Side of the Moon, a remake of the Pink Floyd classic featuring several prominent reggae artists.

Man, I love Mitch Hedberg. "I saw a commercial that said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers!" ... So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, but I didn't know what the hell they were."

Delroy Wilson - Get Ready

Cool reggae version of the Motown hit.

I never realized that Kula Shaker was big in the UK. I remember seeing ads for their "K" album in magazines back in '96, but it seemed like they fell off the face of the earth after that. I don't think I heard any of their "hits" either, although it seems they were a pretty big deal across the pond (I checked wikipedia).

Cake - You Part the Waters

Man, I love Mitch Hedberg. "I saw a commercial that said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers!" ... So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, but I didn't know what the hell they were."

I'm sick of following my dreams

I'm just going to ask where they're going, and hook up with them later

Franz Ferdinand - The Fallen

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I never realized that Kula Shaker was big in the UK. I remember seeing ads for their "K" album in magazines back in '96, but it seemed like they fell off the face of the earth after that. I don't think I heard any of their "hits" either, although it seems they were a pretty big deal across the pond (I checked wikipedia).

Cake - You Part the Waters

They were pretty intense, just like their music. Made a big splash and disappeared for three years (bar that rather successful "Hush" cover), only to return with an album that was good but couldn't live up to the (waning) hype.

I miss them. :o

Oh, and I'm listening to Cake's "Italian Leather Sofa". ;)

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.