What are you playing now?

Darque

I've been WoWing a bit lately. I have a level 52 paladin, and I'd like to get him up a couple levels by the time the expansion hits. I'm absolutely terrible at grinding. I really hate it, so if I don't find a decent quest to gain xp with, I never level. I'm also largely anti-social, so I have to be able to solo the quest. I gain about a level per month.

I've been WoWing a bit lately.  I have a level 52 paladin, and I'd like to get him up a couple levels by the time the expansion hits.  I'm absolutely terrible at grinding.  I really hate it, so if I don't find a decent quest to gain xp with, I never level.  I'm also largely anti-social, so I have to be able to solo the quest.  I gain about a level per month.

Sounds unfun.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I've been WoWing a bit lately.  I have a level 52 paladin, and I'd like to get him up a couple levels by the time the expansion hits.  I'm absolutely terrible at grinding.  I really hate it, so if I don't find a decent quest to gain xp with, I never level.  I'm also largely anti-social, so I have to be able to solo the quest.  I gain about a level per month.

Sounds unfun.

In small increments it's fun. I try and bail out as soon as the fun meter reaches yellow.

Isn't WOW an MMORPG? Doesn't that mean that the large, online multiplayer aspect differentiates it from being a normal RPG? So if you are anti-social, and solo all your quests, then where is the MMO in the MMORPG?

Just wondering.

Edited by Blank

Isn't WOW an MMORPG? Doesn't that mean that the large, online multiplayer aspect differentiates it from being a normal RPG? So if you are anti-social, and solo all your quests, then where is the MMO in the MMORPG?

Just wondering.

I like the fact that there are people around, and I even enjoy conversing with guildmates, but that doesn't mean I want to team up with people. I go out in public and enjoy people watching, but that doesn't mean I want to team up with those people and loot and pillage.

Keep in mind, I am really exaggerating about being anti-social. I group on occasion and have a decent guild for dungeons and such. What I dislike about grouping is the time commitment.

So, you are playing it lika a single player rpg, but paying monthly fee... Just to see other people?

Yep. But I don't associate the monthly fee with the social aspect. If I wanted that, I'd simply sit in a chatroom. The monthly fee is justified in my mind by the additional content that is added, the economy that is stabilized by a team of GM's, and servers that are stable.

I enjoy single player RPG's, but when I am done with the main story, there isn't anything left for me. The character I just played is pretty much dead in my mind. An MMO makes me feel as if my character is taking part in a living, breathing world. My character has a lot more room for growth. Since I have never hit a level cap in a MMO, it feels more like an endless adventure. Eventually I may tire of the gameworld, but it may take years, and the world will go on even without me. That's the big reason I enjoy MMO's.