What are you playing now?

Darque

Clive Barker's Undying

What a shame that this game didn't get sequel >_<

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I actually started a Runescape account this morning, if not only to see what it was like. Everyone's always talking about how bad it is, but I gotta give Jagex some credit. The world is pretty big, even on the free-play servers. I don't know why anyone would pay for it, but for free, it's not too bad.

HOI deux

I played as britan from 1939 on and by 1940 france had turned germany into a dead horse that it beat every couple of months...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm thinking about heading to EB Games at midnight to pick up Madden.  I'm torn, because I have a pretty full day of work tomorrow, and I need to get up at 6 AM.  Perhaps if I just take a long nap...

Feed the addiction....feed the addiction.

I keep telling myself that one more turn in Rome is okay >_<

Heheh I'm gonna spring for the Hall of Fame Edition of Madden tommorow.

I couldn't bring myself to buy that one, if only because I buy it every year and I'm already spending an extra $10 on the 360 version. I actually convinced my wife to go with me at midnight and buy it, so I'm staying up.

Some special edition games aare pointless though. I mean, if you get a "behind the scenes" video, sure that's great. But take Need for Speed: Most Wated. All you got in that special editon (which was $70.00) was an extra car, or two. Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

HOI deux

I played as britan from 1939 on and by 1940 france had turned germany into a dead horse that it beat every couple of months...

The biggest problem with HOI2 is the fact that our foresight lets us all metagame.

Though the fact that you were able to crunch Germany in the 1939 scenario (which means you don't get the huge buildup advantage) is still impressive.

What difficulty level an AI level were you playing at?

That sounds lame, however for the PC, many special editions of games, such as Quake 4, PREY, and FEAR, come on a DVD rather than 5 CDs, now I like that.

If you live in Europe even normal versions come on DVD... :)

Which is a good thing IMO; since I hate disk-swapping...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

That sounds lame, however for the PC, many special editions of games, such as Quake 4, PREY, and FEAR, come on a DVD rather than 5 CDs, now I like that.

If you live in Europe even normal versions come on DVD... :)

Which is a good thing IMO; since I hate disk-swapping...

I'm surprised - is the penetration of DVD-drives really so much less in the US? It's unusual to buy a standard PC without DVD in the UK, and has been for several years now, I think.

Disk-swapping does have a limited nostalgia value - I remember playing Hero's Quest on a PC with dual 5.25 floppy drives and no hard drive, and swapping floppies again and again each time I moved to a new area. :)

But otherwise, yes, it's much better to have it all on one disk.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

As it was explained to me it is because major retailers like Walmart force it upon producers because they MIGHT sell 0.000025% copies less due to ancient PC's who not have DVD-drives (and with that usually the minimum requirements neither).

Price of "freedom" I guess :)

Currently playing: Baldur's Gate2: Shadow's of Amn

EDIT; what a developer at Gas Powered Games (Dungeon Sieges/Supreme Commander) had to say about it:

http://garage.gaspowered.com[/url]']> because the stores didn't even sell the dvd edition

And that's the main reason most games don't come on DVD in the USA (I believe Europe games do often come on DVD).

Many store chains still won't accept DVD games from publishers...I _believe_ Wal-mart is still one of them and they buy enough games to heavily influence publishers (as well as a lot of other industries).

I think most publishers would love to use DVD, for the cost savings of stamping 1 disk instead of 2-6 disks and the smaller jewel case for those not going to the plastic fatty-case like DS2 has.

The only logical answer then is to release both versions for those few retailers.

It costs $20 to own a DVD/CD reader, $50 for a quality DVD burner, so it's not due to DVD readers availability or market penetration.

Actually, it is. The stores' concern is not anything nefarious, it's that folks are picking up DVD versions that don't have DVDs, and then bring them back. The stores don't want to deal with that (rightly so). Plus, the costs they incur in processing returns often then get passed back to the publisher.

As you note, not all PCs have DVD drives...even at your place. True, most PCs purchased in the last year or so are only DVD....but that leaves the majority still potentially with CD drives. Yes, they're cheap but most PC users don't want to (a) upgrade and (b) open their machines. They expect it to be a toaster - turn it on, and it works.

Since that's exactly how PCs are pitched to consumers, it's hardly their fault if they think that.

Who _is_ responsible is the game purchaser, for not noticing the game is DVD - to be fair, often the purchaser (especially this time of year) isn't the PC owner. It's also the publisher for not putting DVD in big neon letters on the box (which would 'ugly' up the box, of course). It's also the stores for not having seperate sections for each (which means less revenue from other items). One could also point to the developer, for using too much content that then requires DVD, I suppose :)

There are stores, of course, that will take either/both versions. It's my understanding that such stores don't make up even a simple majority of software sales (Wal-Mart, K-mart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club et al are the big sellers) though, so by making both versions the publisher runs the risk of operating at a loss.

Some games do come in both versions, but this significantly increases costs (don't forget - two boxes pressings too, as well as two duplication systems). For those publishers that release both versions in the same retail market, it's common to put the DVD in the Limited Edition version which is going to have seperate costs anyway.

It's a complex situation...but at least DVD drives can read CDs! :)

I didn't say the version I describe was right, I just said that's the retail stores' view.

Their view is based on the amount of returns they get, surveys about what their customers have, along with decades-long as well as current sales figures on both PC configurations and DVD drive sales. That's all they have to go on.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

The demo for Caesar IV. Great Fun.

After HOURS at 10kps from Sierra, I finally had the demo downloaded. I let it install a bunch of stuff. I try to play the demo. The first time I hit 'play' it pops open a browser window and looks like it's trying to connect to something, but can't. I get this error msg every time I click on 'start new game':

c4-error2.jpg

I went to their support page. They said to try clicking on a file in the program directory. I do so. It pops up with a dos window (attached pic). I don't understand what it means. Demo still gives me the error and crashes. I'm on a local network, I'm behind a firewall. Is that what they mean by admin access or are they talking about some Windows admin setting? I'm getting annoyed, as usual. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From the sound of things it fails to write something in the windows registry (the thingie you can summon up with run-Regedit)...

And it seems that you are logged in as sub-account into windows and blocked from certain things then. Try logging in as the admin of the PC (no idea how; as I only Have one account and that is the everything allowed one :) )

^

I'm supposed to be the admin on this computer. I'll check tho..sometimes XP defaults to something else when you're trying to install the darn thing...

I just had a thought - the game uses MS-Netframework2.0 - if hubby's computers, that controll the networks, is still using 1 - would that be it, maybe? I dunno, w/the browser window thing, seems like it was trying to check something w/their servers, like you having a legit copy of the demo or something. Meh...this is why I hate demos.

edit: I used the shortcut properties to run it as the PC/winxp admin and it still errors.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If it is .NET related it might be the demo not correctly installs it? Freelancer/MSN and other MS-stuff use .NET so most people have it installed...

http://www.microsoft.com/net/default.mspx

for more info about that stuff...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

For all I know hubby's using one of his Linux systems as the network hub. Sigh. oh well, I don't want to mess with it that much, I'll probably just wait for the actual game and hope that works. Disappointing. Thanks for trying to help.

Clive Barker's Undying

What a shame that this game didn't get sequel :)

Best fps ever. I liked it so much that I made custom covers for it. :">

Right now I'm playing nothing, there's so much to do that I don't know where to start. The first thing I did when I opened my rig after a two week-hiatus, was to wov to not read all the missed threads on various fora and comics and reviews and tehaaarrgghh...

I'm thinking of finally installing Blood Money, but I think I might save it for a year or so yet, I doubt there's going to be a dvd-drive where I'm going next sunday. And after that's it's nine month before I get back on this rig.

The other thing I was thinking is King of Dragon Pass, which is awesome, but I think I need a lot more spent effort, than I can manage over 5 days, to get the game going. Might save it for next week.

Then there's an EB Britain game and Van...you-know-what and zounds of other things.

I might skip on gaming altogether.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

HOI deux

The biggest problem with HOI2 is the fact that our foresight lets us all metagame.

Though the fact that you were able to crunch Germany in the 1939 scenario (which means you don't get the huge buildup advantage) is still impressive.

What difficulty level an AI level were you playing at?

actually it was AI vs AI.

I was britan

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Sims. 2.  :">

In my own defence it's actually pretty good. For someone who likes building and management sims, it's great. Plus, one of my favourite bits in CRPGs has always been character creation.

And getting laid can be a career choice. :)

Sims 2:Pets is out in October ... :)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT