NWN2

taks

CRAP! So much for playing NWN2 on my B-day! :)

Now it's going to be even longer before I get to play it because late October Final Fantasy XII gets released and that takes precedent over any RPG out there. :)

What's in Atari's release schedule anyway? I think that considering NWN2 is a sequel to a million-hit mega seller, they wouldn't exactly like to screw up the release.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Too bad they couldn't have done this for ToEE"

They did do it for TOEE.

Anyways, as for topic:

POSITIVE: It's better for the game to eb delayed so it's released in as close to stable condition as possible, and this should mean an included DM Clint. Plus, it gives me more time to pay for a computer upgrade.

NEGATIVE: It puts suspect on what Obsidian has stated over, and over again on the BIO boards...

CONCLUSION: Positive wins out. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

i think one of these days someone is finally going to get the hint that most developers have no real clue how long it will take to code a new game, particularly if they are also using new tools. early hints of release dates should always be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe a beer or two.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

"early hints of release dates should always be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe a beer or two."

September reelase didn't come early. It wasn't that longa go that claim came from Atari, and Obsidian with Obsidian stating clearly that they they were on target for then. The original release was way back in June.

Still, overall, like I said above, this newest delay is a GOOD thing. Now, the likelihood of getting the DMC in the actual package has increased dramatically. :cool:

If Josh got what he wants in terms of more project zots - then that is a good thing.

You know the old project management wisecrack.

Good, fast, cheap.

Pick any two! :)

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

I'm kinda interested in why the short delay, it's only being pushed back a month. q&a is the only thing they could do in the final month. Are they finding way more bugs than they expected? Anyway, glad to see Atari agreeing to another delay.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I'm kinda interested in why the short delay, it's only being pushed back a month. q&a is the only thing they could do in the final month. Are they finding way more bugs than they expected? Anyway, glad to see Atari agreeing to another delay.

I think Josh is very good at project management. :)

There is a rumor that he has no soul and feels no remorse hacking things from a project in order to finish on time. ;)

Some folks have suggested he actually enjoys the screams of agony of earnest developers, artists, programers and such as he casts months of their hard work in the trash heap of forgotten history with a cold snear and a bold flourish! :o

So, if he is happy with just a modest delay - that will be OK.

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

i think one of these days someone is finally going to get the hint that most developers have no real clue how long it will take to code a new game, particularly if they are also using new tools.  early hints of release dates should always be taken with a grain of salt, and maybe a beer or two.

taks

you may be right, but that not seem to be the case with nwn2, the simple cluelessness of developers that is.

our guess is that nwn2 development were bungled from day 1... is reason why old lead is gone and new lead is in place. josh has mentioned on boards that failure to meet initial target date were solely the fault of obsidian, which seems to suggest that the initial target were attainable. also, keep in mind that when first completion date were missed there were a reassessment o' what could and could not be done by obsidian by the new release date... and that is why dm client were initially set aside, and there were some content areas cut from game. .. and it sounded as if obsidian were kinda confident that game would make release date, 'cause we is pretty certain that they didn't think that they were gonna get another extension.

now we is gonna get those cut contents back, 'cause somebody finally realized that w/o a robust sp campaign nwn would only be a worthwhile game for the 2 dozen regular posters on the nwn2 boards at bio, folks who didn't even gets disturbed when they heard that game might be only 20 hours. the thing is that obsidian were gonna be working their collective arses off simply to gets the slash-&-burn release of nwn2 that were projected once josh to lead. if obsidian is managing to increase content at this late date w/o cutting other aspects of game, then something has gotta give.

this recent extension does not sound like the result o' poor planning or chaos theory or other such stuff that might makes a project take longer than expected. this would appear to be a calculated and informed move on the part of atari... or maybe tak is right, in which case bring in a taskmaster like josh to beat the drones into submission so as to meet targets were simply a cruel thing for fergie to be doing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Too bad they couldn't have done this for ToEE"

They did do it for TOEE.

Not really.

uh, yes, really. toee got delayed twice, amounting to about 4-5 months of extra dev time. certainly they had to make some changes in that time, but what was "removed" as a result of the changes was done haphazardly and did not take much effort.

taks

you may be right, but that not seem to be the case with nwn2, the simple cluelessness of developers that is.

i'm not saying they're clueless, i'm just saying that we almost NEVER get a game in stable condition on the first few cuts of a guess by the companies developing them. btw, when i mentioned "developers," i really should have said "development companies." based on every project i've worked on as a design engineer, typically the individual developers (people) always try to overshoot their time estimates. pressure from the company is what results in unrealistic timelines, which results in rushed designs, which results in delays required to fix errors, which results in missing even the conservative estimate from the engineer in the first place!

our guess is that nwn2 development were bungled from day 1... is reason why old lead is gone and new lead is in place.  josh has mentioned on boards that failure to meet initial target date were solely the fault of obsidian, which seems to suggest that the initial target were attainable.

further reason to change my statement to "development companies."

hopefully this is a delay simply to stabilize and put some of the slashed content back in. the former is obvious, though i failed to actually check the report last night at home, so i can't comment on additional content (IT nazism is hit and miss with gaming sites here at work).

taks

Yeah, but isn't that more of an action game and not really very rpg-ish?

Mark

It's probably going to be like Oblivion. So, I would call it an Action-RPG.

oh, OK, i heard about it early on, but haven't followed up. great, i'm no fan of oblivion or morrowind, so this ought to really get me going. :rolleyes:

taks

Is this even after the fact?

Though I wouldn't be surprised.  I doubt the extension is to address the DMC.

agree, is this todays news? They previously said no dmc, but now with the delay has that statement changed?

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Yeah, but isn't that more of an action game and not really very rpg-ish?

Mark

It's probably going to be like Oblivion. So, I would call it an Action-RPG.

It's really not an RPG at all. Comparing it to Oblivion is like comparing Dues Ex and Half-Life. HF is purely a FPS game, Dues Ex is a hybrid. Every preview and clip I've seen of the new Might and Magic game points to it being strictly a FPS with medieval weapons and magic. The physics sound awesome though.

The DMC delay thing was months ago. I'd be shocked that the new delay doens't allow a grand opening of having the DMC included in the package. Afterall, as it currently stands, the DMC was scheduled for released through a patch on the same delay of release. I would be surprised if the state of the DMC, and the negative reaction to that whole hoopla didn't have at least something to do with the postponement. If it isn't now released with the game I'd have to classify something REALLY fishy going on at the Obsidian offices. :)