Sony to make reselling of PS3 games illegal

Arkan

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news...&sectionId=1006

Wednesday 24 May 2006

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Now, I doubt this will fly, but Sony is making a mistake here, if this is to be believed.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

If true, this kind of EULA would likely never stand up in court if challenged.

On top of this, I believe I read in another plce where this was posted that this 'rumour' was simply a joke...

:("

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ouch, many stores make quite a bit of revenue off of selling pre-owned games. I also doubt Sony would be looked nicely upon if they started going after their customers like the RIAA.

Edit: I'd believe it was a joke -- just more FUD against Sony :("

Edited by LostStraw

Sony's UK PR manager Jennie Kong spoke out against the recent rumor that the media monster is planning to restrict sales of used copies of PS3 games.

"I would like to clarify that this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

Kong then threw a barrel at the nearest journalist and grunted.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Sony's UK PR manager Jennie Kong spoke out against the recent rumor that the media monster is planning to restrict sales of used copies of PS3 games.

"I would like to clarify that this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

Kong then threw a barrel at the nearest journalist and grunted.

Llyranor to the rescue!

Awesome. I hope this catches on with all the console manufacturers. It will smack EB and GameStop in the face, as they make most of their money from selling "used" games for like under $5 of what it costs new and $30 more than what they pay someone trading it in. Plus it will generate better sales for games. That'll teach you to marginalize the PC section in order to further run your scams, bitches!

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

Isn't that technically the way things are now?

Awesome.  I hope this catches on with all the console manufacturers.  It will smack EB and GameStop in the face, as they make most of their money from selling "used" games for like under $5 of what it costs new and $30 more than what they pay someone trading it in.  Plus it will generate better sales for games.  That'll teach you to marginalize the PC section in order to further run your scams, bitches!

Denied.

:)

Awesome.  I hope this catches on with all the console manufacturers.  It will smack EB and GameStop in the face, as they make most of their money from selling "used" games for like under $5 of what it costs new and $30 more than what they pay someone trading it in.  Plus it will generate better sales for games.  That'll teach you to marginalize the PC section in order to further run your scams, bitches!

My EB Games just phased out the used PC section and cut the new games for PC to just one tiny shelf in the back of the store. I asked a clerk what the heck happened and he said that EB Games decided on a corporate level to do it. He was pissed off, their store made a lot of money off the used PC games and even the new ones. I was pissed off because I like used PC games. :(

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

My EB Games just phased out the used PC section and cut the new games for PC to just one tiny shelf in the back of the store. I asked a clerk what the heck happened and he said that EB Games decided on a corporate level to do it. He was pissed off, their store made a lot of money off the used PC games and even the new ones. I was pissed off because I like used PC games. :(

It's been liked that at my EBgames for some time... Just one little shelf in the back with only the new releases.

The second-hand market means even more lost profit for the Developers and Publishers, than what is lost through piracy. So I can understand the logic behind a decision such as this. In fact, I think its strange they havent done anything about it sooner.

After all, if you go and buy a used game, NOTHING of that will go back to the makers.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My EB Games just phased out the used PC section and cut the new games for PC to just one tiny shelf in the back of the store. I asked a clerk what the heck happened and he said that EB Games decided on a corporate level to do it. He was pissed off, their store made a lot of money off the used PC games and even the new ones. I was pissed off because I like used PC games. :ninja:

It's been liked that at my EBgames for some time... Just one little shelf in the back with only the new releases.

They used to have a whole wall in the back. :(

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

The second-hand market means even more lost profit for the Developers and Publishers, than what is lost through piracy. So I can understand the logic behind a decision such as this. In fact, I think its strange they havent done anything about it sooner.

So, do we now count all those people out there who don't even own a game in the same category as pirates? The developers and the publishers got their money from the initial purchase; the initial purchaser is then free to resell the product as he sees fit, and that does not affect the publisher or developer in any way. After all, there is a finite number of any preowned games in existence, and demand for those games often outstrips the number of preowned copies.

After all, if you go and buy a used game, NOTHING of that will go back to the makers.

How is that any different than buying a used car?

Answer: It's not.

Some of you may be content to give away the rights to property you own and purchased with your precious time, but I will never quietly allow corporations to manipulate the legal system in order to deprive me of items purchased by me.

I've pretty much given up on EB games (and Gamestop) for PC titles. It's a slap in the face how easily they dismiss them. They carry a thousand copies of Console Crap II but get 2 copies of HoMM 5, which disappears the first day despite not getting shelf space.

I've started to go to Best Buy for PC games. They have a pretty solid section, and they don't play favorites.

Isn't that technically the way things are now?

I can say from experience: Yes.

And it goes not only for Sony but for pretty much everything except perishable goods.

We should read our EULAs more often.

:shifty:

Answer:  It's not.

You dont buy a game, you purchase a LICENSE from the rights holder to use that game in the manner and conditions stated by the license agreement.

The used games market is making tons of money from products someone else made and owns the rights to, without compensating them in any way. Is it strange that the publishers are displeased?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You dont buy a game, you purchase a LICENSE from the rights holder to use that game in the manner and conditions stated by the license agreement.

The used games market is making tons of money from products someone else made and owns the rights to, without compensating them in any way. Is it strange that the publishers are displeased?

No. At this point in time, if I buy a console title, I purchase a copy of the game itself. There is no EULA, no enforceable license; I own that copy of the game.

Try to keep up, won't you? This discussion began with Sony's rumored PS3 license BS.

No. At this point in time, if I buy a console title, I purchase a copy of the game itself. There is no EULA, no enforceable license; I own that copy of the game.

Try to keep up, won't you? This discussion began with Sony's rumored PS3 license BS.

There is a EULA. If not directly to the customer than to the seller.

The PS3 license is BS because the EULA thing is already in effect, like Alanshu said a few posts back(that it's already in effect, not the BS part).

When you buy a game, you are acquiring the right to use it.

Basically, if someone from the publisher knocks on your door asking for the game, you should be able to show it to him at any time after you acquired the right to use it.

And legally, if I'm not mistaken, the only way to get rid of your game is to give it back to the publisher directly. You have no right to sell it back to anyone.

Then the EULA is not enforceable to the customer.

Basically, if someone from the publisher knocks on your door asking for the game, you should be able to show it to him at any time after you acquired the right to use it.

And legally, if I'm not mistaken, the only way to get rid of your game is to give it back to the publisher directly. You have no right to sell it back to anyone.

Did I sign anything? Did I click "Yes" to an EULA popup? No? Then it is not enforceable according to US law.

Then the EULA is not enforceable to the customer.

Did I sign anything? Did I click "Yes" to an EULA popup? No? Then it is not enforceable according to US law.

This is for console games and this is for PC games.

The enforcability of the EULA in the US is unclear but not impossible.

The problem with console games is that you need to buy the product to view the EULA and for PCs, most people just click "ACCEPT" and never look back.

Edited by astr0creep

well, I have recently had occasion to think about such things as I have been acquiring a lot of music from used cd shops (somewhat related to the topic at hand).

if I buy a Metallica cd, for instance, at Planet Music, the band gets paid, the record label gets paid and, retailer gets paid....Corporate USA gets paid in at least 3 different forms with such a purchase.

however, if I buy that cd from Joe Schmoe's used cd place, Corporate USA does not make 1 cent off of the transaction and, by extension, the band receives no direct benefit.

it would seem that, as peer-to-peer piracy is harder to do nowadays (which is good), used cd shops are the next big thing. question is, how can they crack down on such shops? apparently, such shops are, currently, operating within the confines of existing law.

Edited by Plano Skywalker