List a feature that is now standard

Herzog Zwei?

According to Wikipedia the first game to use fog of war was Patton Vs. Rommel.

Oh my goodness, I remember that one. Wow, that's an oldie.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

KotOR 2 - Shipping out before it's ready. :(

I think I'm going to have to vote for Fable for that one.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

RPG parameters in RTS' - Rival Realms

Story in FPS - Deus Ex

No control of heroes in RTS' - Majesty

Delivering not finished games on retail - NWN2

3D in Hack & Slash - Evil Islands

Learn by using - Morrowind

Amazing levelbuilding in FPS - Painkiller

Action sequences in Adventures - Fahrenheit

Humor in Adventures - Pick any LA adventure game :(

Online FPS action as entire game - Unreal Tournament

Vehicles (DAMN U) - Battlefield 1942

Massive open worlds with anything to do - Grand Theft Auto

ESRB adjusts age - GTA: San Andreas

Isometric action games with sneak elements - Commando's

Entering cool droids into games - KOTOR1

Etc. etc. etc.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Cookiewookie, you are so off on a lot of those;

Half-Life had a story

Fallout was totally the buggiest game ever on release

Invictus was before EI, so was Duel

Arena and DS had learn by doing before Morrowind

Undying has Oneiros and Eternal Autumn, UT had Asteroids

Kings Quest had it first I think

Quake 3 came out before UT, didn't it?

Halo had vehicles before, so did others

GTA is true

I think Ranger and Metal Gear had that first

Droids are not my forte, sorry

:D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Half-Life had a story

DX had a better one and made it standard for the genre. More than HL

Fallout was totally the buggiest game ever on release

Reply to...?

Invictus was before EI, so was Duel

Invictus... never heard of it. EI was first, then DS, then everybody

Arena and DS had learn by doing before Morrowind

Sure, knew that one was before, but MW made it popular...

Undying has Oneiros and Eternal Autumn, UT had Asteroids

Never played Painkiller, eh :)

Kings Quest had it first I think

Dunno, got into it with the LA's, and they became the masters

Quake 3 came out before UT, didn't it?

Nope...

Halo had vehicles before, so did others

Ahum... during BF1942's release the X-Box was yet to be invented... :(

I think Ranger and Metal Gear had that first

Teams? Action games?

Feel free to critise my criticism...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

I ****ing hate managing quotes:

The Fallout one was reply to releasing unfinished.

Half-Life made the story popular, it sold like hotcakes. DE sold nothing.

DS sold like hotcakes too, before MW.

I know you mean the Hell level. You've probably never played Undying

Screw it, Battlezone had vehicles way before anything else

The funny thing is, we can't know if these things became a standard thanks to those games. e.g the level-by-doing thing is only on those games we listed, so I don't think it's exactly standard stuff. And thanks to Craigboy I'm not sure whether I should be arguing over being first to do the thing, making it popular or setting a standard. Those things are not the same, I think we can agree to that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Fallout 2

kirottu said:

e.g the level-by-doing thing is only on those games we listed, so I don't think it's exactly standard stuff

*cough* Dungeon Siege, GTA: San Andreas, TES, Sims (yeah, even that), Enemy Territory...*cough*

And thanks to Craigboy I'm not sure whether I should be arguing over being first to do the thing, making it popular or setting a standard. Those things are not the same, I think we can agree to that.

Yup. Agreed...

^

e.g the level-by-doing thing is only on those games we listed, so I don't think it's exactly standard stuff

*cough* Dungeon Siege, GTA: San Andreas, TES, Sims (yeah, even that), Enemy Territory...*cough*

Wait, it's in the games we listed before and maybe two other games and the Sims series? Yeah, totally a standard and popular feature.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I ****ing hate managing quotes:

The Fallout one was reply to releasing unfinished.

Half-Life made the story popular, it sold like hotcakes. DE sold nothing.

DS sold like hotcakes too, before MW.

I know you mean the Hell level. You've probably never played Undying

Screw it, Battlezone had vehicles way before anything else

The funny thing is, we can't know if these things became a standard thanks to those games. e.g the level-by-doing thing is only on those games we listed, so I don't think it's exactly standard stuff. And thanks to Craigboy I'm not sure whether I should be arguing over being first to do the thing, making it popular or setting a standard. Those things are not the same, I think we can agree to that.

Make war, not peace. 932.gif

Anyway, it's what made it popular. Not what came first. I'm sure games had physics before Half-Life 2 but there wasn't as much of emphasis on physics until after Hafl-Life 2 came out.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

post-15284-1134168228.gifpost-15284-1134168228.gif
kirottu said:

Re-Posted To Get Point Across: Anyway, it's what made it popular. Not what came first. I'm sure games had physics before Half-Life 2 but there wasn't as much of emphasis on physics until after Hafl-Life 2 came out.

^Nope.

Ultima Underworld was first.

And Ultima Underwold truly was 3D as it had a Z-Axis, whereas Wolf3D didn't.

Though 3D certainly wasn't new. IIRC Falcon for the PC was 3D, and I know that Activision's classic Mechwarrior was.

Edited by alanschu

Class-based multiplayer first-person shooters: Team Fortress Classic.

Mind-numbing, click-festy hack & slash: Diablo

Wretched D&D games: Pool of Radiance 2

pseudo-intellectual dialog and emo characters - planescape

You would have been better with one of the Final Fantasy games.

PSTs main characters weren't dramatically emotional, they were more comedic than anything. Hell, none of the primary ones displayed excessive emotion at all.

Edited by StillLife

Absolutely...

Sure, knew that one was before, but MW made it popular...

Learn by doing was popular enough to spawn 7 sequels in the Wizardry series.

And while UT technically released before Q3A, Q3A was played long before thanks to its beta stress test.

Absolutely...

Why?

kirottu said:

Rocket jumping - Quake

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Anyway, it's what made it popular. Not what came first. I'm sure games had physics before Half-Life 2 but there wasn't as much of emphasis on physics until after Hafl-Life 2 came out.

HL2 made physics popular? Ha, Pong made physics popular. Angle in equals angle out and all that jazz. Constanly tracking and changing the velocity of the block as it moves around the screen, now that's some complex stuff.

Oh, you mean what made pushing around barrells in an FPS to solve mundane puzzles popular.. yea, HL2 would win that. The first FPS I saw/played with decent physics was Painkiller. Now there was a fun game. Although it didn't emphasize the physics as much as an integral part of the game, I really have a hard time believeving that HL2 was the game that made it a standard.

Sure, after HL2 a lot more FPS have been supporting more complex physics, but is that really because of HL2? Or was HL2 just one of the early ones out the door to support a lot of the whiz bang features? I really don't know, but I think it's more along the lines of technology becoming available, where it wasn't before.

Go eat a kikkeli, Lare.

I too think that it was not because of HL 2 that physics became so popular. Other fps', namely FarCry had them before and for example Max Payne 2 really showed off, not only with graphics but the various after effects to enviroment after battles. Stuff explodes, people topple shelves when they die and stuff rolls around the floor and behind the corner. All that jazz. Physics were already becoming a standard. Part of that is thanks to the amazing E3 videos of Traptown and whatnot though. HL 2 just came and showed that, "dude, you can do all this **** with Havok" and gradually Havok physics became a standard.

As for who was the first? I think it might have been one of the Fifa games. Or Thief: The Dark Project.

kirottu said: