List a feature that is now standard

8 player, but you need a lan or something, you couldn't do it via IPs, iirc

Yeah, you could actually. It was really the only game I played at the time. This was back when 28.8 modems were the standard though, and some bone-headed 14.4 user would usually jump into 8 player games and lag the bejeezus out of everything, so people didn't do them too frequently. 3v3s were the norm though.

Large breasted heroines: Tombraider series.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Nah. Super Mario Brothers did that with the Princess. But, the graphics weren't up to the task. I know the Princess is why I played those games. :rolleyes:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The online honor should go to Warcraft 2.  Even on the Mac(what I was using at the time it was still fairly new) there were a ton of people playing it.  That was when you still had to type in IP addresses.  It's popularity only grew more when Battle.net rolled around.

The Bnet version of Warcraft 2 came out after Starcraft.

Again tho, Warcraft 2, Red Alert, etc were all only 1 on 1. Something to be said for that step, but Starcraft was somethign else.

I played team games in C&C and Red Alert on Westwood Studios Westwood Chat/Matchmaking service.

In any case, Quake demolishes SC for its contribution to online gaming. It came out a year before Starcraft, and anyone lucky enough to have access to a T1 line, or even dual ISDNs would host a server. It resulted in QuakeSpy being created, which ultimately evolved into GameSpy, and spawned the Team Fortress mod that laid the foundation of online, class-based team gameplay.

The thing Starcraft has going for it, is that it's arguably still the best and most balanced RTS out there. Not bad for an 8.5 year old game. Kudos to it for having 3 separate factions, that weren't just carbon copies of each other (I hated WC2 for that), with distinctive gameplay styles.

But Quake dominated in multiplayer.

And it, arguebly, spawned the first mod communitites to go along with the online following. Another trend there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The thing Starcraft has going for it, is that it's arguably still the best and most balanced RTS out there.  Not bad for an 8.5 year old game.  Kudos to it for having 3 separate factions, that weren't just carbon copies of each other (I hated WC2 for that), with distinctive gameplay styles.

People would disagree and call Total Annihilation; who had done that long before SC... :ermm:"

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You weren't talking about popularity in that quote...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

This whole thread is about who started the standard and made the biggest impact.

Besides, the point still stands that it's 2 months earlier release is hardly "long before" Starcraft did it.

When TA was released, the world was still drooling in anticipation for Starcraft.

Edited by alanschu

"best" and "most balanced" are NOT popularity words...

But I know that this discussion; like any and all discussions with you end in nothing, so I might as well end it right now...

Anticipation for a Blizzard game? :) That is something I will never understand...

^

% in Korea? :lol:" :p

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

*Cough*Grim Fandango*Cough*

Do I need to say more; or is all clear for Darque?

^

People would disagree and call Total Annihilation; who had done that long before SC...  :)"

Probably not.

Most people have heard of Starcraft at least. :)"

Who?

Everyone but you it would seem :p

:)

I should have done this for sarcasm. I know what Starcraft is.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.