PhysX on monday

Was only a matter of time. This technology will probably become an industry standard in years to come.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Note the slow down in the comparison video. I admit, it looks pretty, but hell...it's as expensive as buying a new video card...after you'd probably have to buy an actual new video card for the games that are coming out.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Even if it eventually becomes 'industry standard', most games will likely not properly take advantage of it, or make a gimmick out of it.

As new technology emerges, the focus will still likely be on making crap shinier and prettier. There's so much potential for new technology to make major improvements to gameplay itself, but it goes mostly untapped. Next-gen my eye. I want next-gen gameplay.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Even if it eventually becomes 'industry standard', most games will likely not properly take advantage of it, or make a gimmick out of it.

As new technology emerges, the focus will still likely be on making crap shinier and prettier. There's so much potential for new technology to make major improvements to gameplay itself, but it goes mostly untapped. Next-gen my eye. I want next-gen gameplay.

nVidia have already announced that any spare power (ha ha! that's a joke) on their video cards will be able to be utilized for PhysX.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yep. Since Nvidia and Havok will put a similar thingie on the new GeForce thingies such a card quickly becomes useless and a waste of money...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Um, no, that's not the point I was making.

Logic dictates that it a new feature is taken up as a standard, then more publishers will encourage developers to add physics calculations to their games.

There might be support for PhysX programming on an nVidia card, but that will never be of much use, because the demand of next gen graphics engines will far outstrip the capacity available.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So, NVIDIA is gonna team up with these AGEIA guys, to make upgrading a computer even MORE expensive?!

Game publishers are trying to trump one another in whatever category they're focusing on, not necessarily just graphics. Back when the whole computer graphics technology was still mired in the bogs, games actually developed more sophisticated gameplay to trump one another. Then 3d acceleration kicked in, and the whole thing has been snowballing it's way so that game developers need to keep up with the graphics landslide to get competitive market share.

But how much better can graphics get? Seriously? They're so good that they're indistinguishable from real life... except for the crap animation. I'm thinking that the next "tech wave" benchmark that games will have to compete with is how good their physics are, until the physics are spot on perfect. Then? Then I dunno. Hopefully games will go back to improving and sophisticating their gameplay and, hopefully, at that point games are beautiful enough to be considered art so that more people will focus on the freaking STORY... but that's just wishful thinking on my part I suppose.

There might be support for PhysX programming on an nVidia card, but that will never be of much use, because the demand of next gen graphics engines will far outstrip the capacity available.

Ehm...No...

NVIDIA and HAVOK are actually going to add their own physicschip to the new generation of GeForce cards...

Thus you get graphics and physics-chip in one...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_30478.html

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

NVIDIA and HAVOK are actually going to add their own physicschip to the new generation of GeForce cards.

Where did you read about the physics chip? All I could see was that same crap about the power of the 7900GTX and how they'd be using that for physics calculations. I couldn't find anything about any actual new hardware being added?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

NVIDIA and HAVOK are actually going to add their own physicschip to the new generation of GeForce cards.

Where did you read about the physics chip? All I could see was that same crap about the power of the 7900GTX and how they'd be using that for physics calculations. I couldn't find anything about any actual new hardware being added?

Psst, MKreku

he's trolling

. :shifty:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Psst, MKreku

he's trolling

. :shifty:

You're the moderator here. If you think he's breaking the board rules, give him a warning.

Much more effective than writing an accusation within a spoiler tag, something which makes your own post look like trolling too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah.

The problem with more flying debris and making a huge mess with boxes, or any physics intensive calculation (for instance a field of grass with independently moving blades of grass) is the way we're doing it now, it generally puts a tremendous strain on the CPU. As more and more games become physics heavy, tasking the CPU and other devices with physics calculations become less feasible, similar to how tasking the CPU with graphics calculations lost it's luster at the beginning of the 3D graphics boom.

Basically it's more flying debris and making a mess with boxes without putting strain on your system which makes it possible for more flying debris and messy boxes. Plus how cool would realistic looking vegetation be, I've yet to see this in any game I've played.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Where did you read about the physics chip? All I could see was that same crap about the  power of the 7900GTX and how they'd be using that for physics calculations. I couldn't find anything about any actual new hardware being added?

Well, they add that HavokFX chip thingie to the card...

It just isn't "the GeForce 7800" has program X and then can process physics, nope... they actually add that physicschip thing to it

Psst, MKreku

he's trolling

. ;)

Nope, but you are doing VERY bad at your moderator job at the moment... ;)"

^