What are you playing now...

Darque

1. I'm and idiot. (Blatantly obvious, but it makes sense that it took so long for me to figure it out, considering the extent of my idiocy.)

might be the reason as to why you couldn't edit your post. :rolleyes:

j/k

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Half Life 2.

It's incredibly boring. I've been going around in this hovercraft bike thingie for ages. Also, as far I can tell, the game has been completely linear so far. It's pretty, though.

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I guess you have a point. But isn't Half Life 2 supposed to be the new paradigm of FPS games? So far it's Wolfenstein3D with physics.

Heja Sverige!!

I dunno, I thought the setting, pacing and variety of challenges together were quite a leap from the crap we see nowadays.

I mean Eastern Block dystopian scifi setting shaded with touches of doomsday with an overal theme of revolution was kinda awesome.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm still at the beginning, so it could get better. The setting seems interesting, but the narrative so far has been "Run Away! Run Away!"

Heja Sverige!!

I know.

It doesn't exactly get better(the narrative I mean), but some folks like it. I don't, I just indulge on the ambience and setting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Half Life 2.

It's incredibly boring. I've been going around in this hovercraft bike thingie for ages. Also, as far I can tell, the game has been completely linear so far. It's pretty, though.

I'm still at the beginning, so it could get better. The setting seems interesting, but the narrative so far has been "Run Away! Run Away!"
Finally. I was beginning to think I was the only person here that didn't like HL2. If what you play games for is the narrative, you might as well get another game now, before your feeling of wasted time grows any further.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I was so bored by the demo that I didn't even buy HL2.

I've been pretty hooked on EQ2, as is evidenced by my X-fire hours. I don't know how it happened, but after 2 weeks I suddenly found myself with a level 24 wizard. I actually used some credit I had at EB to buy both expansions. I'm paying an extra dollar a month to see my guy on the internet in all his splendor.

It's a disease, seriously. But I am enjoying it. So far it hasn't been a grind, but I'm a bit worried when it does. Grinding tends to completely turn me off in these games. I go from loving it to not wanting to log in.

I also tried to pick up Oblivion again, but I think I need to start a new character. I'm not connected to him anymore. I think the Vampire quest line burnt me out.

1. I'm and idiot. (Blatantly obvious, but it makes sense that it took so long for me to figure it out, considering the extent of my idiocy.)

might be the reason as to why you couldn't edit your post. :)

j/k

True.

You bastard. :p

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yeah, but Cassidy has a heart problem. I truly loathe Myron. I've never gotten him killed, though. Jaheira, of BG fame, used to irritate me so much I'd take away all her weapons, strip her naked, and have her make suicidal runs on the enemy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah, but Cassidy has a heart problem.  I truly loathe Myron.  I've never gotten him killed, though.  Jaheira, of BG fame, used to irritate me so much I'd take away all her weapons, strip her naked, and have her make suicidal runs on the enemy.

Myron "accidently" gets in my line of fire. Opps.

I do that to my BG characters also, like Cernd and Anomen. Go down to the dungeon and look for traps the hard way. :(

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

What's wrong with Cernd?

Other than being a hippy. Wasn't a problem to me though.

kirottu said:

Half Life 2.

Finally. I was beginning to think I was the only person here that didn't like HL2. If what you play games for is the narrative, you might as well get another game now, before your feeling of wasted time grows any further.

But isn't Half Life supposed to be good because it's an FPS with an actual story?

Heja Sverige!!

Mixed Half-Life up with Deus Ex again?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No, I remember when the first Half-Life came out, everyone was raving about how awesome it was to play an FPS with an actual story, and how that was truly revolutionary. No one had played System Shock, apparently.

Heja Sverige!!

But isn't Half Life supposed to be good because it's an FPS with an actual story?
Story? Oh right, the story. Let me tell you about the story... hey, check out these cool physics! :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No, I remember when the first Half-Life came out, everyone was raving about how awesome it was to play an FPS with an actual story, and how that was truly revolutionary. No one had played System Shock, apparently.

I remember that too...you're not crazy. In fact, that's why I bought the first Half-Life...(I don't typically buy shooters)...cause all the reviews in magazines made it sound like a FPS with a brain and lots of story-atmosphere, or something. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just thought I'd be the person to jump in the thread and say he liked HL2. When push comes to shove, I think Painkiller was better than DOOM 3, FEAR, and HL2, but I liked them all. The story for all of them were good enough to keep me interested.

Out of the four, PK had the best level design. HL2 was by far the most beautiful in terms of just breathtaking scenery. FEAR has the best battles, followed by HL2. DOOM 3 is the scariest. DOOM 3 is the only one of the bunch that gives me the willies while I'm playing. Of course, they achieved that in large part with the cheap flashlight ploy, but it worked.

When I get my new video card, assuming I don't suffer from my previous problems, I'm going to play all four again. When I do, the only mod I'll install is the flashlight mod for DOOM3. I suspect it will kill some of suspense in a lot of areas, but I find that switch between weapon and flashlight quite irritating.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I also remember everyone and their mothers giving Half-Life Game Of The Year awards.

What year was that? 1998?

Edit:

Other games that came out in 1998

Grim Fandango

Fallout 2

Caesar III

Baldur's Gate

Myth I and II

Resident Evil 2

Starcraft

Rainbow Six

I just thought I'd be the person to jump in the thread and say he liked HL2.  When push comes to shove, I think Painkiller was better than DOOM 3, FEAR, and HL2, but I liked them all.  The story for all of them were good enough to keep me interested.

Out of the four, PK had the best level design.  HL2 was by far the most beautiful in terms of just breathtaking scenery.  FEAR has the best battles, followed by HL2.  DOOM 3 is the scariest.  DOOM 3 is the only one of the bunch that gives me the willies while I'm playing.  Of course, they achieved that in large part with the cheap flashlight ploy, but it worked.

When I get my new video card, assuming I don't suffer from my previous problems, I'm going to play all four again.  When I do, the only mod I'll install is the flashlight mod for DOOM3.  I suspect it will kill some of suspense in a lot of areas, but I find that switch between weapon and flashlight quite irritating.

Scary? Go play System Shock 2. It's a lot scarier than DOOM 3, even with the huge difference in graphics.

Also, if you like FPSs you should try No One Lives Forever.

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, HL1, mid-late 1998.

http://www.avault.com/REVIEWS/review_temp.asp?game=half

The 'story/atmosphere' gushing is on page 2 of that review.

And this one isn't so into the 'story' angle but does title their article with the word revolutionary. hehe

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife/review.html

Most of the reviews I'd read at the time were in magazines, not the net.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Scary? Go play System Shock 2. It's a lot scarier than DOOM 3, even with the huge difference in graphics.

System Shock2 is the most fright-shock game I ever played. :ph34r:

You know, I tried System Shock 2 but it didn't work on my computer. However, I get the feeling that the hype machine gets a great jump-start from the hold-over fans. So, let me put it this way, DOOM 3 has great moments of suspense. Of course, I need not say something inane like "in my opinion." Clearly, you should understand that it is my opinion. Moreover, I know a lot of folks who think that FEAR has some truly scary moments. I don't tell them to go play some different game because they must not understand "scary."

I know you didn't mean offense, but I get tired of folks telling me that I should play System Shock 2 if I want to play a game that's "really" scary. First of all, I can't play it. Since I have no basis for comparison, there's no point in comparing it. Second of all, System Shock 2 might not be scary in the least for me. I'll never know and I'm not going to reassess my opinion of a game I've played based on the assertions of the die-hard fans of a game I cannot play.

Now, I promise you, if I ever manage to get a playable copy of System Shock 2, I'll come back here and tell everyone what I thought of it. In fact, I would really like to get that chance since I've heard so much about it. On the other hand, folks tell me that the original DOOM wasn't all that good and I just smile and nod my head. Whatever.

Finally, out of the four games I cited, DOOM 3 really was the scariest. I happen to know for a fact that not everyone shares my opinion in this regard. Nevertheless, it provided the most suspense of the four. For me. At least. In my opinion.

As for No One Lives Forever, is that the James Bond game? I'd like to try it, but I just get bogged down. Lately, if we're broadening our discussion to oldies, I've been playing some Metal of Honor on the wife's system. I finished allied assualt and spearhead and I'm just past the sabotage at the air-field for Breakthrough. it's a great game. I like the old World War 2 FPSs. I bought Call of Duty 2, which was quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, I lent it to a friend and I have yet to get it back. I gave him the basic game right at the begining of the Bavarian rescue mission, but I kept the expansion until I got to the English daylight bombing scenario. What I like about Call of Duty is that it forces you to rely on your fellow soldiers. It's more realistic in how the team works without being truly unforgiving like Rainbow Six or some such.

Obsidian Plays