The online campain thread

Sorry, no. You never get "kill" experience in my games. However, you might be forced to kill something to get full experience. Remember, I warned you guys that killing stuff just for the sake of killing doesn't get you experience.

However, let's say that you decide your goal is to hunt and kill cats. Once I ascertain that your mission, at least one of them, involves successfully hunting cats, I'll determine how many experience points you can expect to receive.

I know it's imperfect, but I truly hate some basic assumptions about DnD.

First of all, even though 3.5ed makes some noises about dealing with creatures in a non-violent manner, it's not true. By dishing out exp without regard to kills, the players have some incentive to explore a variety of options in interacting with creatures.

Second of all, I hate exp farming. Having the party decide they want more kills in order to grab a little more experience just torques me.

Finally, it allows me some lattitude in working with the plot. For example, you might get more experience for dealing with creatures in a non-violent manner.

For example, you need to get into the hidden temple of Apshai. A pack of hungry wolves are chasing you. You see a large ogre guarding the entrance. You kill the ogre without a loss, but you are weakened and the wolves manage to kill one of your party. The rest of you enter the temple and thus you've accomplished a goal.

Should you receive more experience for the scenario above than you would for the following:

You need to get into the hidden temple of Apshai. A pack of hungry wolves are chasing you. You see a large ogre guarding the entrance. You manage to distract the Ogre and enter the temple. The wolves come to the entrance and the Ogre kills two of the wolves and the rest flee. The party has entered the temple without loss and has their rear protected by the ogre.

As always, I'm open to comments.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, I've got a room at the 2 the Xtreme. It's the Obsidian Refugee room. The password is "Nick."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I jope uou kuys have a fun game. Posta reoort will you the n?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

We've only got 3 players so far. If we don't get either Tigranes or Blank soon, we might not have a report.

Obsidian Plays

I'll tkae ypu from behind in messenger later, so you are wrong.. very wrong. hih. I'd like to join, but I'm sadly not really up to it now. Sorry, I'd be a rddeming dactor to balye's druid with my voice of reason by my barbareian archer sagse

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Shut up, I'm wrting at my firnefs comp, i CAN'T DOWLAD OPNERPG NJOW! BUT MAYVE SOME OTEHRT IME, IT'S NOT LIKEM i'M REAlyy studying jsut reading about finnish pirates and pretending that I'm studying. I like my character, i migth join yet, I went all emo when I couldn't join wiggins rpg. no slittinh my wrists tough, heh

kirottu said:

Yes, I was thinking RP creates his own character.  Every character receives experience equally, there or not.  Characters move in and out of the game as the players are able to participate.  How does that sound?

Do players accrue XP whilst they are dead (assuming they are resurrected)?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, I promised to get the ball rolling. However, I've always said I'd rather someone else DM. Meta, I don't suppose you're ready to step up to the plate?

Obsidian Plays

RP, you can jump in at any time. Dealing with a brand new character while in the midst of combat isn't any worse than dealing Baley's chaotic crazy character at any other time.

How do you make a room full of hot, sweaty, and frightened people feel at ease? You scream that you're going to disembowel them, of course.

Obsidian Plays