Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

I remember that too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Combine it with the Copy and Paste school of level design, and we can easily get longer games.

Which it seems many of us want around here anyway, as many seem to dictate "worthy" games purely on their length.

The funny thing is that Hades can beat Vampire as fast as I can, while walking at 1/3 the speed...yet he does not possess the skill to get past the werewolf.

Edited by alanschu

Hades once claimed he always walks in the games he plays.. for role-playing purposes. I would love to see him playing Oblivion too..

For the most part I do walk. Actually I sneak. In cities I walk around and in dungeons I sneak walk. Everywhere else I run.

@ Llyranor: No. I was able to kill him. Damn bastard.

Edited by Judge Hades

I thought the werewolf was unbeatable in the game... as in the devs made it impossible to defeat him. I would have torched him with a flamethrower if I would have known it was possible.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"I'm playing an heavily armored (but unarmed) tank."

that is what Gromnir started doing... right before we quit. see, we couldn't seems to get our strength or endurance up in game, so our blade and light armour using mage type were forced to go 'round in heavy armour fighting unarmed. is amazing how fast our strength and endurace climbed thereafter... which is one reason we quit. used conjuration and alteration magic all the time, but rarely could we gets +4 or +5 in int or will 'cause we had almost all the magic stuff as a major skill... but minor skills increase big time and not count 'gainst level progression.

if you gotta use silly asinine tactics to level, then something is wrong with the game, ss's "more realistic" claims notwithstanding.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or maybe you just plain suck at playing Oblivion? I mean, you're the one that compares it to Diablo. Don't play it as Diablo and you'll do fine.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The funny thing is that Hades can beat Vampire as fast as I can, while walking at 1/3 the speed...yet he does not possess the skill to get past the werewolf.

Hey, Hades aint one tenth as unskilled as a girl I talked to who gave up playing K2 because she kept running T3M4 into the walls in the intro and getting stuck :blink:

I imagine itd take her 5 minutes just to successfully hit the START menu in windows :-"

(and no, she is not suffering from advanced parkisons disease not is she in any way handicapped)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hand to Hand combat with a skeleton. I killed him with a nice left-handed hit. Boxing was never so much fun :-

(You will be sorry you explained Alanschu :blink:" )

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Or maybe you just plain suck at playing Oblivion? I mean, you're the one that compares it to Diablo. Don't play it as Diablo and you'll do fine.

Tell me, how the hell would you play Oblivion in a non-combat oriented way? Are there plenty of quest that don't involve fighting? Can you make a purely diplomatic character and still survive the main quest?

Oblivion is a dungeon hack, plain and simple.

He's complaining because his playing style screwed up the difficulty of the game. So what? Live with it or go play some boring text-based game where you only get to play as one ugly, predetermined character and dying actually gives you experience points. I see it as a design choice, perhaps intended to make the game more difficult. Adapt and move on, instead of whine about it on internet boards forever. Not every game is there to hold your twitch challenged hand.

Oh, and how many games do you know that you can avoid combat completely in? Does combat make Baldur's Gate 2 a dungeon hack? Stupid point of reference. Oblivion is combat centric, but it sure as hell isn't Diablo.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Never heard anyone knock a game for being creative enough that death wasn't endgame, and actually could contribute to the story even.

Furthermore, if a particular playing styles does make the game unnecessarily difficult, then that probably IS poor design. There should be conditions in place to ensure that character builds remain viable. Otherwise, they should have changed the character creation system. If creating a character with one set of major skills makes the game significantly more difficult than another build, then it's a design flaw. For instance, designers should not assume that players will adhere to the convention that most RPGs are heavy in combat. If a game is combat heavy, and character creation lets you pick your own skills, at the very least the character creation should at least warn the character not picking any combat skills will result in a much more difficult experience. Same goes for games like Arcanum, where failure to specialize (i.e. becoming a jack of all trades) makes the game significantly more difficult. If you want free character creation, you better design the game appropriately to support it.

Besides, to me it doesn't even look like that's what Gromnir is complaining about. I certainly don't see how his playstyle was in any way playing it like one would play Diablo.

there doesn't seem to be any other way to play it. max your stats and collect 1007, 'cause as eldar has noted once or twice, ther writing and quests is prett lame unless you is adding imagined content into the game. the main motivation for playing oblivion is, as far as we can tell, to get the next new power or the kewl new armour... which is pretty much the point o' diablo. heck, mk has played oblivion to the point where his character is in the level 40 range. obviously he ain't simply playing to uncover new quests when you gets that kinda levels... 'cause there just ain't that many interesting characters and quests out there. when you is playing simply to be able to gets 'nuff alchemy skill to create an uber potion, or you is playing to find that glass helmet you really want, then you is playing a game much like diablo.

in any event, if Gromnir does the rational thing and relies pretty much soley on his major skills, by the time he gets to 10th level he is gonna be half as powerful as somebody who developed his character by increasing minor skills... and since the scale system is only concerned with level...

is no doubt lots of people who hit on the right combination of skills such that they is having fun with oblivion.

is no doubt that some people is enjoying finding the nexts amazing potion combinationand they will happily continue to play until they find the next bit of powerful loot.

is no doubt that betehsda made a game that appealed to many people... they has made a succesful game, but if the best you can do is tell sombeody that they is playing oblivion wrong, then perhaps oblivion ain't the crpg you think it is.

HA Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I liked Diablo.

nothing wrong with that. diablo were one of the most popular pc games evar. no doubt bethesda would be happy at such comparisons... but for some reason certain people gets offended if you compare a crpg to diablo, no matter how accurate.

HA! Good Fun!

Oldblivion

What is oldblivion?

Oldblivion is a piece of software which allows graphics cards which are pre DirectX9 to run Elder Scrolls: Oblivion from Bethesda. This means that Oblivion can run on cards such as Geforce 3, Geforce 4, Radeon 9200 and so on. Oldblivion is still in an early development phase but it's fairly stable, however there still are a few bugs and kinks to work out

Questing...just finished the Pale Pass quest. Still have some questions though, anybody able to help?

Entrance room of the fort, box beyond grate. How to get it?

Also once again searched entire valley...found another locked box. Once again the key didn't work. WTF :blink:. Anybody has any info on the location of the keys for these 2 chests or the location of the chest for my key?

EDIT: And why isn't there a single bed there with so much combat. Gained 3 levels and half-way the 4th when I got back in Bruma :ermm:

BUG: After giving the Akari Orders to the Commander you can stop and talk to him. He then says a welcome line and goobye line with a normal voice of any guard...

GAMESTOPPING GLITCH:

Kill the Jailor in Bruma. Now get locked up and escape. Fail to pick the wooden door too? Then you are forever stuck in that room... with only Load Game as a way to get out :)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Wow, Baley...Oblivion doesn't look half bad on a Geforce 3.

Anyway...Grom, I'd think that the people who're focusing on leveling their minor skills are the ones playing incorrectly, not the one who's taking care of the majors. And does it really matter how powerful somebody else's character is? I mean...mine have all been fine. I follow the main skills and there's a healthy level of difficulty.

And you forgot those of us who love the scenery, or just to explore the world we've been given. If there's a quest or 1007 along the way, then all the better.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast