BREAKING NEWS: FIRST REVOLUTION SCREENSHOTS

Llyranor

Red Steel is a first person shooter themed around the Japanese yakuza. The player has both pistols and swords at his disposal, which are of course aimed with the Revolution's motion-sensing freehand controller. The attached "nunchuk" analog controller is used for movement. Since the controller senses movement in all directions as well as rotation along an axis, the player can, for example, rotate his wrist to actually rotate the gun at an angle within the game, or bring the sword up at an angle to block an enemy's sword stroke. Grenades can be thrown by imitating a lobbing motion with the controller. There will also be benefits in sparing the lives of key enemies after a fight in order to convince them to join your side, rather than killing them outright. Ubisoft's Damien Moret explained that before even beginning work with a development kit, the team spent a great deal of time playing around with regular television remotes to determine what physical actions are the most fun to perform and which would best suit a first person shooter. The game will have multiplayer via split-screen or online, but since Nintendo has not yet announced its online service plans for Revolution no further details were revealed. Ubisoft has stated that more about the game will be revealed soon, but for now either pick up this month's Game Informer or wait until E3.

In more general Revolution news, Nintendo's George Harrison mentioned in a Game Informer interview that the console will likely have about twenty launch titles, with a third coming from Nintendo.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

That just looks, and sounds too good to be true.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

From Gamespot forums

Yes, we all know Red Steel is one of the games that will redefine FPS, and that the controller will mimick all kind of weapons almost perfectly. But I decided to sum up everything that was readable in the mag scans, and it is very very interesting:

Story

It's a game about vengeance. You are an american male, and when your girlfriend is kidnapped, you discover her father, Sato, actually is a Yakuza boss. Sato's worst enemy, Tokal, kidnapped Sato's daughter to exchange her for a legendary and extremely valuable katana (yes, that will be your sword). Sato tries to attack Tokal's clan, but he fails and is injured. Before dying, he gives you the sword and asks you to save her daughter. So you have a sword and no skills. The game isn't only about searching for Tokal and killing him, but also learning new skills for the final showdown. That's kind of funny, cause we'll need to learn to master the remote, too.

Gameplay elements and other info

1. Game development started shortly after E3 2005. Ubisoft saw and demoed the controller before E3 2005.

2.Ubisoft Paris took their idea directly to Iwata and Miyamoto, and were given the go ahead. After that meeting they were given prototype controllers. The article states that Ubisoft worked "closely" with Nintendo's engineers in Japan on the title

3.Game Informer mentions that while conducting the interviews with Ubisoft, they were handed the "latest version" of the controller

4.During the beginning of the game, you are encouraged to use your weapons ruthlessly, but as the game progresses you become more proficient and strategic. This gameplay idea led Ubisoft to decide to give the game a martial arts setting. "Enter the Yakuza"

5.The first third of the game will be all about being "brutal by necessity"

6.You will be less precise and favor more devastating weapons (machine guns)

7.As you progress and become more precise, smaller guns will be used

8."The goal...is to use five bullets to kill five enemies"

9."When fighting with this level of skill, the music and sound effects will reflect it, remaining calm and peaceful"

10."When you fight brutally, the sounds around you grow increasingly more intense"

11."Audio feedback"

12.Freeze shot: by fighting effciently you fill the Freeze Shot gauge...fighting chaotically causes to decreases

13.When the gauge is filled you can hit a button to momentarily stop time, and then target specific locations on enemy bodies

14.Headshots thus are tempting, but non lethal shots, such as shooting guns out of enemy hand, can be more beneficial

15.By defeating high ranking leaders who command others and sparing their lives, you will be rewarded. He will offer you respect and help (guns, help, new weapons, alternate paths, etc)

16.Respect plays a MAJOR part in the game

17.Flailing your sword isn't a smart idea

18.Specific motions with the controller will trigger combos (in the final game)

19.Tracing an X in the air, for instance, will unleash a devastating attack

20.You can stop these combos at any time by simply pausing your own movement. So if you do something that leaves you open to attack, you won't be screwed

21.New moves will be taught to you by two mentors in the game

22.One will teach you gun tactics, and another will teach sword tactics

23.If you don't show the proper respect to them, they won't help you

24.Friendly/respectful interaction is tied to the controller

25.You signal "yes/no" answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side

26.You show extra respect by bowing to the masters

27.Ubisoft is still coming up with other interactions

28."You can act disrespectively as well: there are no cut scenes in the game - all conversations take place in game, as in Half Life 2. However unlike that game, characters wont keep prattling on if you walk away from them. They will react angrily to your imputent behavior"

29.Staying in the master's good graces is key: they give you missions that can be tackled in any order

30.You track down the gang leaders and try to turn them to your side. If you don't, they will join Tokai's (the main villian) gang

31.You have to prove you are worthy to them by battling them and sparing their lives.

32.You will need as many of them with you as possible to face Tokai. Without their help, you'll have a rough time when you finally face him

33.You turn gang leaders to your side by besting them in battle and stopping a deadly blow miliseconds before it strikes

34.Training sessions are offered by the two masters so you can hone your skills

35. Spliscreen mulplayer and online.

About multiplayer

1.Split screen multiplayer with traditional deathmatches

2.Totally original multiplayer modes Ubisoft is not revealing yet. Wait until E3

3.They didn't talk about Nintendo Wi Fi (NDAs). Full details haven't been revealed yet

4.Revolution works by placing a small sensor bar either above or below any TV

5.You can stand at any angle and not lose any accuracy. You can even

take your controller to a friend's house and instantly start playing

without syncing up the controller

6."Perhaps most impressive is the fact that although splitscreen reduces the amount of onscreen space you are playing in, you don't haveto make smaller movements - you can gesture as wildly as you want, and it won't interfere with the other player's onscreen quadrants"

Quotes from Game Informer

1.The two triggers on the front of the analog unit activate ducking and

jumping. The analog stick controls movement, and the revmote controls aiming. No rails.

2.Level consisted of shooting ranges that popped out from behind cover: "Aiming with the controller is as simple as using a laser pointer. You point your hand at a target and hit the trigger on the underside of the controller to fire"

3."Unlike other FPS games, which tie the camera and aiming together, Red Steel's camera follows your aim with a slight delay. If, for example, you point to the edge of the screen, the camera will turn to re-center on your view after a second. With the sensitivity of the controller, a standard FPS control would move too much, potentially making the player feel ill."

4."Thanks to the improved reaction that the controller offers, the team can create gunfight scenerios that would be extraordinarily diffilcult with a standard controller"

5.Most console FPS games limit their enemies to horizontal planes to prevent player frustration, but targets on a verticle plane are just as easy to hit with the Revolution controller

6.You can aim at a target as quickly as you can move your hand

7.In the demo targets popped up on rooftops and in second story windows, as well as behind cover points on the ground, and all were equally easy to hit."

8.While you can quickly shoot enemies anywhere on screen, Red Steel never feels in a light-gun game - this is a true FPS, one that feels like it has drawn from the best of both the PC and console shooter

worlds

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Has Nintendo finished pissing off 3rd party developers yet?

I have a feeling the Rev's library will be pretty small.

Well they have a lot of Japanese support including the mighty Squenix. But it's support outside of Japan that they lacked last time. It seems like crossplatforming PS2 and 360 will be the norm again. Which leaves the revolution out in the cold ,much like the GC was.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't get it. Why exactly are Nintendo being left out in the cold by developers?

Considering that its only applied to the home consoles (the handhelds have huge support) I'd have to say it was something about crossplatforming with the machine. Perhaps the really small capacity of the mini disk ? And this time around the lack of HD and the having to do something special with the controller ?

But from what I read in NoM the Revolution is very easy to work with (like a big GC) so you may see more small developers who cant afford the big buggets that the 360/PS3 might require.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't get it. Why exactly are Nintendo being left out in the cold by developers?

From what I understand, the big N pissed off a lot of smaller developers when the SNES was the have all, be all console.

Apparently they had quite the control freak stranglehold on everything.

Supposedly this is why certain big companies jumped ship to the PS when it came out (example: Square and FF7)

I think they used to be a lot more restrictive in what sort of games could be on their platform.

But considering you have stuff like Requiem (worth the price of a GC alone) and RE4 I don't think that applies so much today.

478327[/snapback]

I really need to stop reading stuff about the revolution. I had a dream last night where I actually owned one, don't remember what I was playing, but I was having a blast. Then I woke up. >_<

Maybe it was glimpse into the future :D

478327[/snapback]