ummm... this'll change christianity

Calax

Reminds me that I think I promised Eldar to beat him with his bible... I'm such a heathen.

You know, I do a lot of writing. Oddly enough, because I didn't plan it this way, I almost always have a bible next to my work computer. If it's not there, it's on the shelf some four feet away. If you ever came to my house, Lucius, you could literally pick up my bible and beat me with it.

Of course, I would quickly offer you a beer in the hopes that I could prevent the beating. :Eldar's laughing and offering Lucius a beer icon:

Damnit! It better be some good beer, not that native no alcohol stuff you guys have. :D

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Then there'll be singing, cracker-eating, wine-drinking, and Muslim bombing for everyone!

Seriously now...have to agree with a lot of ya. Won't change a thing. But, I like Hades' idea.

I'd love to see the look on the faces of Christianity/Catholicism/Methodism...etc... leaders when Jesus finds out the **** they've been pulling for the past 2,000 years. Can you say "Smited"?

Then again, if you believe in all this stuff, he's probably been looking down all this time, shaking his head, and wondering how the message became so corrupt and diluted.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm a little on the side of the Vatican in being cautious about things in general. If its going to be a pillar of our faith, we'd better be very sure that it's legit.

The Vatican's miracle investigators are among the most critical analysists there are. They absolutely believe in miracles, but they want to be damn sure that they aren't taken for a ride before acknowledging it. As such they are among the toughest critics in the world when it comes to investigating such things.

I'm sure there's tons of interesting stuff in the Vatican's vaults like the prophyra etc. However better be safe than wrong though it might be worth the Vatican having a second look at them.. Bet this makes lots of good conspiracy theories though.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

this changes nothing except that it is of historical/archeological interest....kind of like the Dead Sea Scrolls were a few years ago.

apparently, this apocryphal book was known about to the early church fathers (who dismissed it like they dismissed other Gnostic texts) but, unlike other apocryphal books, there were no copies of this around in recent times...until now.

Ah, the only legitimate bigotry of our day: anti-Catholicism. Yes, your lot in life is due to the machinations of the vatican.

Here I was thinking we might actually have a discussion regarding the merits of the text. Instead, we resort to same old "papal" hating nonsense.

The church is right to put the utmost scrutiny on these accounts. Just because some new document comes to light does not somehow make it more legitimate than what we have. In this case, the apocryphal document undoubtedly fails to bring up anything new to either the Catholic church or Christianity in general. This issue isn't even a blip on the radar. The only thing it provides is a weapon for folks to attack my faith. For most of these folks, any weapon will do.

*shrug*

I should know better than to think we can have a substantial discussion about issues like these.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Now, if we could only get access to all the Dead Sea scrolls, rather than just what the Catholic church wants to release ... :ermm:

The Dead Sea scrolls were all Hebrew Scriptures, you'd also have to go through the hierarchy of the Jewish religion too. Anyway, the gnostics have been known to make anti-Semistic views, and accidental anti-Christian views. So this is probably just a nice little historical find, but the "discovery" of another apocryful gospel is nothing really new and the gospel itself is most likely not credible for various sound reasons. All the negative hype is just a second wave to this whole "discredit all of Christianity" fad that seems to be going on these days. :-

words are weightless here on earth

because they're free

this changes nothing except that it is of historical/archeological interest....

I agree.

Don't know much about the Dead Sea Scrolls myself, but it seems to me that Christians emphasize too much on the significance of Jesus

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Eldar, my information is that the various texts that have been uncovered (at Qumran and elsewhere) collectively known as the "Dead Sea Scrolls", have not been released for general scholarship.

The reason I think this is important is because some of these scrolls were written with a different audience in mind, so they are not so touchy-feely with the Roman Empire (like the eponymous Catholicism), and in fact their contrasts would help ascertain exactly what happened two millennia ago in Palestine.

I think it is egregious arrogance and the antipathy of the spirit of Christianity (brotherhood, greater good and all that) for one theoligarchy to withhold knowledge, just because they won't like the answers that it provides (cf. the Shroud of Turin).

For this reason, any gnostic religions, especially those that pretend that they aren't gnostic, gain my ire.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"In a many dark hour

I've been thinkin' about this

That Jesus Christ

Was betrayed by a kiss

But I can't think for you

You'll have to decide

Whether Judas Iscariot

Had God on his side."

Bob Dylan

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Jesus died because of manlove.

You know it's true.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ah, just one of my usual bouts of heartburn. I don't know why I was so angry about this stuff yesterday. It is true that the Church has secrets. In that regard, it's like a state. It has many state secrets and, since it has operatives in virtually every country, the church has no lack of spies.

Yes, I believe open is better for these things. Let the scholars hash out this business. On the other hand, the church is acting in accordance with their stated goal and, while there is undoubtedly some subtrefuge, the church is generally concerned more with congregations and demographics and responding to the changing needs of the members than it is with these cloak and dagger things. After all, that's where the majority of the money is spent.

Obsidian Plays