Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords

Great games are always more than the sum of their feature sets, and Galactic Civilizations II is a great game. Galactic Civilizations II does indeed boast a very impressive list of cool features, but it also has that extra "something" that separates pretty good games from Hall of Fame material. In the case of Galactic Civilizations II, an epic spacestrategy game set in space, that extra element is a design that is clearly focused on catering to the desires of the player, rather than on trying to stuff the designer's preferences down your throat. From installation to end game, it is clear that this is not only one of the best turn-based strategy games to grace a PC, but one in which the player is treated like royalty.

::::::::::Link:::::::::

Sounds, well, amazing. Not a fan of multiplayer (minus Starcraft and GoldenEye) anyways

Edited by kumquatq3

It's a pretty fun game. Only complaints that I have so far after playing it all evening, are admittedly minor things like the screen not scrolling diagonally for some reason and I don't like the colour they used for the fog of war.

I spent an hour just researching things as high as I could so that I could build cool ships which took up the next two hours. :)"

Still not quite as good as Master of Orion 2. But close. I like some of the AI bugs. Like the little minor races being at war with some big empire on the opposite side of the map from them, far enough away that neither empire's ships can reach each other, and the little minor race whines to me that they're being horribly crushed and require my aid despite being in no danger whatsoever.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Best strategy game in a long time and I daresay even better than Master of Orion 2. I really like how important trade and diplomacy is on the higher difficultys and the shipdesigner has sucked me in for several hours at times.

Still not quite as good as Master of Orion 2. But close. I like some of the AI bugs. Like the little minor races being at war with some big empire on the opposite side of the map from them, far enough away that neither empire's ships can reach each other, and the little minor race whines to me that they're being horribly crushed and require my aid despite being in no danger whatsoever.

The company is patch happy, report it.

BTW, I love MoO2, but it's been over-rated due to all the fantastic failures of copycats.

I've really been looking forward to this :). Galciv1 was an excellent game, and the developers really work hard on patches and improvements, so no worries that the game won't play well.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I found $44.95 for digital download a bit expensive.

Add shipping and handling to that price and you can have a boxed copy sent to you while you download the game. That way you can play the game from the download while waiting for your boxed copy to arrive.

Or you can try to find a retail copy which is only $39.99...

I found $44.95 for digital download a bit expensive.

Add shipping and handling to that price and you can have a boxed copy sent to you while you download the game. That way you can play the game from the download while waiting for your boxed copy to arrive.

Or you can try to find a retail copy which is only $39.99...

Well, i've already bought the game about ten minutes ago, and now i am downloading it via StarDock. :D

Tomorrow is my birthday. So it's a gift from me, to me.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Too bad it doesn't have tactical battles like in MoO2 ;)

Well, unlike MoO2, hopefully it won't have such a signifigant "end game" problem like alot of strategy games.

Where you know you've won, it just takes 5 more hours of actual playing to get there. That kills me.

Edited by kumquatq3

Too bad it doesn't have tactical battles like in MoO2 :)

Well, unlike MoO2, hopefully it won't have such a signifigant "end game" problem like alot of strategy games.

Where you know you've won, it just takes 5 more hours of actual playing to get there. That kills me.

One of the nice and/or annoying things about this is that if youu're crushing one enemy, he might surrender all his planets to you or another civ, making wars against weaker civs faster. Diplomatic victory is pretty easy, just ally with everyone.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Best... strat... game... ever...

up to par with civ4

Building ships is a blast! :)

And I only have minor issues to say as well, 95% very pleased!

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta