Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords

First you need to research Planetary Invasion. The research path to get that goes Galactic Warfare, Space Militarization, Space Weapons and finally Planetary Invasion. After that you should be able to build transports on any planet that has a starport. :cool:

I wish I had a tech tree in front of me while playing. :)

First you need to research Planetary Invasion. The research path to get that goes Galactic Warfare, Space Militarization, Space Weapons and finally Planetary Invasion. After that you should be able to build transports on any planet that has a starport. :cool:

I wish I had a tech tree in front of me while playing. :(

Will these do? ;)

infrastructuretech0ip.th.jpgmilitarytech8ka.th.jpg

I've found that if you don't hurry craploads of colony ships in the first few turns you're screwed.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've found that if you don't hurry craploads of colony ships in the first few turns you're screwed.

Yep, you have to get those 8-10+ rated planets

Current Issue: I'm about mid-game and my economy is stalling. Trade routes are maxed, but I'm not doing a ton to maximize those routes (space stations).

basically, I've gotten to the point were I'm losing a dollar in funds a turn.

Now, I'd just build more stock exchanges and such, but they take FOREVER to build, so you need alot of factories......but if you have alot of factories, there isn't much room for stock exchanges. It's a bit of a catch-22. What do you people do for cash.

I'm not even playing Civ4 anymore <_< Stupid HoI2. Hence why I was wondering if there were any reasons if I should pick this one up nevertheless.

In any case, a GalCiv2 demo is coming out this week, for those who didn't know.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Oh, this game is obviously so much better than Civ 4. No this opinion has nothing to do with me winning a T-shirt. :("

Seriously though, considering the game is $20 cheaper than Civ 4 it is a great deal. The only thing I don't really like about the game is the economy system which makes no sense to me, although some people seem to have figured it out. ;)

Care to specify in what ways? What do you think of the AI? Do you feel there's any dumbing down whatsoever in the game's design?

The economy is confusing. It doesn't tell you anything about how it works and therefore takes a lot of experimentation in order to figure out how things work. I also dislike the global sliders for spending. You have a total spending slider which is how much of your total capacity you will use. That money is then further divided into the three catagories of military, social and research. These settings are on a global scale so they affect every planet in your empire whether you want them to or not.

The AI is awesome, depending on the level that you play at, it will through some curveballs at you. I've seen it convince other opponents to attack you as sacrificial lambs to weaken your military while they circle around your empire to swoop in and take out your weaken military. ;)

It's not so much that things have been dumbed down, because things are still quite complex, but the problem is that nothing is really explained. Some things are definately simplified, although in certain situations like with the economy, it's been too simplified and doesn't give you enough control over your empire. They tried to remove as much micromanagement from the game as they could, but I feel it's come back to bite them as it doesn't give you the level of control I personally would like.

Part of the simplification has been in part due to the AI which can out micro and human with it's spending sliders. :(

I like the sliders, especially because you can mess with individual planets still, but the slider does still have influence

You can mess with individual planets, but not nearly as much as I would like.

Is the game anything beyond 'just another 4X game, but a really good/great one' status?

That's a loaded question

Agreed. Some people will absolutely love the game. Others will find things about it that they hate. The good things though, is that if you stir up enough people on the Stardock forum (with intelligent, well thought out posts) then you have a pretty good chance of getting the developers to tweak the game in a future patch. :ermm: