Fallout 3 : Ideas and suggestions

astr0creep

Intelligence on game engine design does not equal high creativity. The technical aspects of Morrowind, and from the looks of it Oblivion, are quite good and well engineered. I trust Bethesda to make a relative versitile and working game engine for Fallout 3.

Edited by 6 Foot Invisible Rabbit

Harvey

Gothic and Gothic 2 had vast worlds that were still fun and interesting to explore.. ON FOOT.

Gothic 1 was limited to a single prison colony. There was enough space to explore, but the area was definitely very finite. Gothic 2 seems larger, though, but I haven't played it much. I like Gothic for its plots and free-roaming, but I don't like the character building and the combat system... Lots of good ideas, though.

I think the key is to make them detailed and non-generic.

I think it's more a question of having something interesting to discover in them. Mercenary II: Damocles (jeez, that was long ago...) was great, but boy was it big and empty... IIRC, one planet had several million of "pyramid" structures on it, only they were all empty except for a select few...

My dream game would have a huge world and vehicles. Not vehicles like in GTA, where they blew up all the time and you just grab a new one. Vehicles like in.. uhm.. I have no clue, but vehicles that you feel attached to, that you can upgrade as the game progresses (better armour, better tires, stronger engine, bigger gas tank, better headlights, mounted cannon, stuff like that). Of course, in a Fallout universe, the cars would be very rare and part of the exploration rewards could be new parts for the car.. [/dream]

Agreed. And there should be few but very different vehicles. For example, some could be pretty fast, but only run safely on real roads (which are all pretty much gone by the time Fallout is set in), while others can be slower off-roaders. A car-wars thing could be good. If they looked a bit at Mad Max 2, the Road Warrior for inspiration, it would be great.

Gothic and Gothic 2 had vast worlds that were still fun and interesting to explore.. ON FOOT.

Gothic 1 was limited to a single prison colony. There was enough space to explore, but the area was definitely very finite. Gothic 2 seems larger, though, but I haven't played it much. I like Gothic for its plots and free-roaming, but I don't like the character building and the combat system... Lots of good ideas, though.

I think the key is to make them detailed and non-generic.

I think it's more a question of having something interesting to discover in them. Mercenary II: Damocles (jeez, that was long ago...) was great, but boy was it big and empty... IIRC, one planet had several million of "pyramid" structures on it, only they were all empty except for a select few...

My dream game would have a huge world and vehicles. Not vehicles like in GTA, where they blew up all the time and you just grab a new one. Vehicles like in.. uhm.. I have no clue, but vehicles that you feel attached to, that you can upgrade as the game progresses (better armour, better tires, stronger engine, bigger gas tank, better headlights, mounted cannon, stuff like that). Of course, in a Fallout universe, the cars would be very rare and part of the exploration rewards could be new parts for the car.. [/dream]

Agreed. And there should be few but very different vehicles. For example, some could be pretty fast, but only run safely on real roads (which are all pretty much gone by the time Fallout is set in), while others can be slower off-roaders. A car-wars thing could be good. If they looked a bit at Mad Max 2, the Road Warrior for inspiration, it would be great.

I don't think it's possible to make a "carwars" game without taking at least some inspiration from the Mad Max movies... :-

i'm going to point you at Auto aussalt...

MMO with a post apocolyptic car war as the setting.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Alan: Doesn't matter if I call you out on something or not. It seems that you are making it a vendetta against everything I post by insult and ridicule.

Nope. Actually out of respect for some requests by other posters, I've taken it easy on you.

And we appreciate it :lol:

:p

:-

My idea for Fallout 3 is that it takes place before Fallout 1, before the bombs are dropped.

Hell it worked for Resident Evil.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Story wise I had an idea that it shows both before and after. From what I have gathered about the Vault system the point of their existance was social experimentation. So, why not have a vault that uses cryogenics, a rip van wrinkle vault. The social experiment there would be culture shock, from the culture prior to the bombs and the culture that arose after.

Your character would be one of those set in cryo. For the "tutorial" Your pod may be one of the few which survived intact and the AI computer went insane. You need to find other survivors, fix or destroy the computer, and get to the surface. The PC could awake during the events of FO 1 and come outside a mountain in southern Idaho.

Harvey

Story wise I had an idea that it shows both before and after.  From what I have gathered about the Vault system the point of their existance was social experimentation.  So, why not have a vault that uses cryogenics, a rip van wrinkle vault.  The social experiment there would be culture shock, from the culture prior to the bombs and the culture that arose after.

Your character would be one of those set in cryo.  For the "tutorial" Your pod may be one of the few which survived intact and the AI computer went insane.  You need to find other survivors, fix or destroy the computer, and get to the surface.  The PC could awake during the events of FO 1 and come outside a mountain in southern Idaho.

Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I had too much sugar this morning.

On topic, I thought you didn't like the idea of F3?

Story wise I had an idea that it shows both before and after.  From what I have gathered about the Vault system the point of their existance was social experimentation.  So, why not have a vault that uses cryogenics, a rip van wrinkle vault.  The social experiment there would be culture shock, from the culture prior to the bombs and the culture that arose after.

Your character would be one of those set in cryo.  For the "tutorial" Your pod may be one of the few which survived intact and the AI computer went insane.  You need to find other survivors, fix or destroy the computer, and get to the surface.  The PC could awake during the events of FO 1 and come outside a mountain in southern Idaho.

He doesn't like the idea of Bethesda doing FO3 because according to him (and others) they can't write a good story to save their lives.

He doesn't like the idea of Bethesda doing FO3 because according to him (and others) they can't write a good story to save their lives.

Well I agree with him partially. No one should be doing F3 unless it had Tim Cain and Feargus's name on it.

Actually I think they can write good stories. I mean take a look at all the books in Morrowind. Very interesting reads. I just think that the style they present their games don't promote good writing in their game designs. If they focused their writing talents on the actual game and designed a dialog interface that wasn't based off key word searches and more like the IE or NWN games then the quality of Morrowind's story would probably be better.

The theme of Morrowind was good, but the execution was not done well at all.

Harvey

My idea for Fallout 3 is that it takes place before Fallout 1, before the bombs are dropped.

Hell it worked for Resident Evil.

It worked for Resident Evil because nothing significant prior to the game's setting had been established; the same gameplay and stoy context work because what little there is in the setting is vague enough to allow for this. If nothing contradicts or questions the setting or the story then they can do this.

On the other hand Fallout as a game only has reasonable application after the bombs fell because that is where the setting and gameplay gain context; the falling of the bombs is the situations which generates the gameworld players explore. What motivations there were to place gamers in the past of Fallout? Everyone knows the bombs fell; anything that players do there will be set in a closed environment where no matter what they do the game has a prewritten set of events and a predetermined ending. Some of the key elements that compose Fallout would be absent in a prequel, even. There would be no wasteland because the bombs had not yet fell; there would be no Vault Dwellers and Vaults that the player could explore because their location was kept secret from the general population and players would have no reason to play as a Vault Dweller because no Vaults had been openened yet; there would be a considerable lack of moral choices, harsh realities and need for survival that arose after the bombs fell; and so on.

Bit similar to Vault 0 in Fallout: Tactics then, minus the PC waking there.