Fallout 3 : Ideas and suggestions

astr0creep

Story wise I had an idea that it shows both before and after.  From what I have gathered about the Vault system the point of their existance was social experimentation.  So, why not have a vault that uses cryogenics, a rip van wrinkle vault.  The social experiment there would be culture shock, from the culture prior to the bombs and the culture that arose after.

Your character would be one of those set in cryo.  For the "tutorial" Your pod may be one of the few which survived intact and the AI computer went insane.  You need to find other survivors, fix or destroy the computer, and get to the surface.  The PC could awake during the events of FO 1 and come outside a mountain in southern Idaho.

Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I had too much sugar this morning.

On topic, I thought you didn't like the idea of F3?

He doesn't like the idea of Bethesda doing FO3 because according to him (and others) they can't write a good story to save their lives.

Well I agree with him partially. No one should be doing F3 unless it had Tim Cain and Feargus's name on it.

I guess you just loathed Fallout 2.

My idea for Fallout 3 is that it takes place before Fallout 1, before the bombs are dropped.

Hell it worked for Resident Evil.

It worked for Resident Evil because nothing significant prior to the game's setting had been established;

That's actually completely wrong. Before the launch of Resident Evil 0 was Code Veronica which came with the DVD of Wesker's diaries which gives pretty damn good account of what happened before the incident at Spencer Mansion.

Everyone knows the bombs fell; anything that players do there will be set in a closed environment where no matter what they do the game has a prewritten set of events and a predetermined ending.

That's the nature of prequels, and there are plenty of good ones. Resident Evil 0 as I've already mentioned.

Some of the key elements that compose Fallout would be absent in a prequel, even.

Precisely, it wouldn't be a boring copy, ie Fallout 2.5. It'd be a brand new game setting. I admit it would demand a high level of creativity on the developers behalf.

there would be a considerable lack of moral choices, harsh realities and need for survival that arose after the bombs fell; and so on.

Like I said, new setting.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I dunno how well a prequel could work. I mean, you know there's gonna be a holocaust. It'd be like playing a game made out of Terminator 3, if you follow. Post-apocalyptic is the way to go. :thumbsup:

I'd like to have the option of being part of an established caravan trade-route or something, that leads to other states, or up into Canada, or down into Mexico. Maybe a surveyor for the route. Perhaps some conflict arises along the way and you're just trying to get back home, having all kinds of adventures along the way... or you start to hear things as you head further east (or north or south), about some big something-or-other, and decide to delve into it a little deeper.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I played Fallout 2 before Fallout 1. I knew exactly what was going to happen in Fallout 1, that's why I decided to play it - I wanted to be there to see history happen. I want to be there when China presses the button.

Knowing what's going to happen isn't really an issue. Hell it's often a bonus.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

That's actually completely wrong. Before the launch of Resident Evil 0 was Code Veronica which came with the DVD of Wesker's diaries which gives pretty damn good account of what happened before the incident at Spencer Mansion.

I'm aware of Wesker's diaries, and I still stand by what I said precisely because of it. Such a thing was made possible because the series din't had a clearly defined starting point in its story and setting; events in the games are liable to be set in the past or in the future of other episodes and this is only revealed when said episodes appear, a perfect example being Resident Evil 0 which is meant to be the prequel to the original Resident Evil. It was always assumed the storyline began with Resident Evil but this was never established; Resident Evil 0 proved as much. Again, since nothing significant had been established and was left vague, it allowed them to create a prequel because nowhere was it ever officially confirmed that there had not been any significant events to the story prior to Resident Evil.

Hence why I refered to your Resident Evil example and why it didn't quite apply. It is easy to create prequels or sequels to a game series if the continuity, setting and story of the series is intentionally left vague or open and does not exactly determine where and how it starts and ends; Resident Evil 0 being an example of how this was possible. If on the other hand a series' continuity, setting and story is detailed and determines just when and how it starts, it's harder - if not impossible - to create such a thing. If the setting of Fallout had not determined a global timeline or the exact moment when the war started, for instance, a prequel to Fallout 1 could be made as the past of the setting was still open; but this wasn't the case.

Am I getting trough here?

That's the nature of prequels, and there are plenty of good ones. Resident Evil 0 as I've already mentioned.

And as I've already stated the Resident Evil 0 example is a good one because an option for a prequel that still managed to fit into the setting and the story's continuity was always left open. With Fallout the setting had been considerably developed and explained, and any prequel that predates the war is not going to feel or play like a Fallout game because the story only exists after the bombs fall; not before.

Precisely, it wouldn't be a boring copy, ie Fallout 2.5. It'd be a brand new game setting. I admit it would demand a high level of creativity on the developers behalf.

Like I said, new setting.

Hey, I think a future based on '50's pulp comics and technology used in a retro society seems like a good setting, and the similarities Arcanum had to this concept were one of the reasons why I enjoyed it, but I can't see why Fallout would be a good choice. I'd rather see a new setting that was set on similar elements rather than seeing Fallout canibalized in favor of a game that would risk not being much of a Fallout game.

Am I getting trough here?

Ahahahahahaha...

As for the rest of your reply, I'm ignoring it seeing as you usually talk crap.

Regardless, if you can't think of ideas for a prequel that's probably why you're not a developer.

Because both have well defined back stories.

My point was knowing what's going to happen doesn't hinder a game. The only reason I played Fallout 1 was because I played Fallout 2. As a result I reckon I enjoyed Fallout 1 even more than I would have playing the two the other way round.

As for the rest of your reply, I'm ignoring it seeing as you usually talk crap.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to respond with that kind of comment instead of objectively addressing my posts, but regardless it's your decision.

Regardless, if you can't think of ideas for a prequel that's probably why you're not a developer.

I never said in my post I couldn't think of ideas for a prequel to Fallout, but seeing as you admited to ignoring my post I guess it's understandable why you're making such an assumption.

blah blah blah

:D

Dissent the ranks... Not a good sign.

I sense the green one stirring lazily, something having disturbed its sleep... It looks around in a displeased and slightly indifferent manner to identify the source of the commotion.

The point is: "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup..."