Today is it 12 years ago...

Meshugger

57112s160.jpg

Since Bill Hicks left this world. The man was on of the first "angry comedians", bashing about the mainstream, politicians and the general soullessness in society. Always dressed in black with a cigaratte in his mouth, he continued to spread is rants from the late 80's to the beginning of the '90's. Accidently enough, Denis Leary became popular by doing the same act without the Hicks' political message.

Some quotes from the man:

Music:

See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal ****ing high on drugs, man.

...and those musicians who don't do drugs and publicy speak against them? BOY; DO THEY SUCK. What a coincidence, eh? Soul-less, ball-less, spirit-less, corporate little b*tches, suckers of satan's c*ck EACH.AND.EVERY.ONE.OF.THEM.

When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who f*cking rocked! I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit. I want someone who plays from his f*cking heart!

Christians:

A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a f*ckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.

After one show, a couple christians was offended by my speech and wanted have a fight. And i answered: "Forgive me".

Non-smokers:

Obnoxious , self-righteous, whining little f*cks. My biggest fear is that if I quit smoking, I'll become on of you...Don't take that wrong. I have something to tell you non-smokers that I know for a fact that you don't know, and I feel it's my duty to pass on information at all times. Ready?.......Non-smokers die every day...Enjoy your evening. See, I know that you entertain this eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke, but let me be the 1st to POP that bubble and bring you hurtling back to reality....You're dead too.

Politics:

"Hey buddy, my daddy died for that flag.'

'Really? I bought mine. Yeah, they sell them at K-Mart and sh*t.'

'He died in the Korean War.'

'Wow, what a coincidence. Mine was made in Korea.'

No one

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Indeed my favourite comedian. And with the exceptio nof his mistake about arming Saddam, 100% accurate.

"I'm Bill Hicks, and I'm dead now, because I smoked cigarettes. The cigarettes didn't kill me. A bunch of non-smokers kicked the s**t out of me one evening after the show. I tried to run, but they had more energy than I. I tried to hide, but they heard me wheezing."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is there a Hicks DVD? He's always mentioned in those greatest comedians things on channel 4 and the clips they show are pretty funny.

EDIT: there are CDs. I will get those.

There's a CD called "Rants in E-minor" and a the video-performances: Sane man and Revelations.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As a non-smoker, I whole-heartedly agree with his stance on those self-righteous bastards who complain about people smoking. I have asthma AND bronchitis, and people smoking have never EVER bothered me. EVER.

You have chronic brochitis? Sheesh. :lol:

I used to have asthma and they don't bother me, neither. I'm sure its true their smoke makes me less healthy, but for Christ's sake, as the great man said: "Non-smokers die every day. Sorry to pop your eternal life fantasy."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Don Knotts also died recently.

What? God dammit.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Bill Hicks was the ****en man. I have several friends who had the privilege of seeing him live here in Austin. I'll always be remissed that he wasn't alive to share his views on the invasion of Iraq, and 9/11.

I'll always love his commentary on the Gulf War. How he marveled at the technology our government has produced and then asked the question: "Couldn't this same technology be used to shoot food at hungry people? Look there's a guy who needs a bananna: whoooosh"

Still though his best bit was probaly the one about the Hooligans

@Weiser Cain: I'm sure George Michael and Debbie Gibson share your opinion

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

havn't we had a couple of threads about him before, or is that my imagination?

It isn't your imagination. I made a similar thread one year ago on this very day :thumbsup:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I think it was also discussed once when I brought up Dennis Leary in some thread.... :D

Don Knotts also died recently.

Yeah I saw that on the news yesterday or something. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

or you could contact Waterloo Music here in Austin, between them and Waterloo Video they have everything Hicks

http://www.waterloorecords.com/

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The album was Aenema, the track with Bill speaking the music/drugs bit is number 15 - Third Eye.
yah, i knew that.

Inside the cd cover is a painting of the man himself, with the words - Bill

Hicks, another dead hero.

hehe, knew that, too, but haven't read it in years.

Eulogy is track 2, which I imagine is about Bill, but has no comments from him.

nope, eulogy is about christ.

"you claim you would die for me, why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy"

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal ****ing high on drugs, man.

Funny, too bad he's wrong about that... ;)

Edited by Lyric Suite

It kinda stinks though, out of that whole bit its the only part most people have heard.

Edited by Laozi

It's a bit haunting to hear him say "I'm Bill Hicks...and I'm dead from smoking."

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast