Star Wars Cantina

Jorian Drake

Never liked the space fighter games.  Seemed pretty lame in comparison to the Wing Commander series.

LOL

No. As a WC fan, I have to say that from the excellent WCII on, WC sucked, with Heart of the Tiger being a nice story hurt by the crappy actual gameplay. Prophecy wasn't too bad, but the combat was too arcade-ish. It was kinda cool to play for once as someone else than Mr Living Legend.

The SW space sim games were always better when it comes to game mechanics. And once WC lost the plot thing it had going for them, well, they just can't compare.

I wonder why they didn't make a SW space sim like Privateer. That would have been cool. Playing a Han Solo-style character and stuff. Meh, another wasted opportunity.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There are four great space games. There are no others.

1. Wing Commander 1 - It was the first

2. Tie Fighter - Great controls, great missions, you actually felt good about being an Imperial pilot.

3. Wing Commander 2 - Hard to put this under Tie Fighter, because it really was an incredible story and space sim.

4. Privateer - Freedom, but enough story to not be boring. Freespace was almost this, but it lacked soul.

There are four great space games.  There are no others.

for SW space games though, i thought SW: Starfighter was pretty good. the controls and junk. SW:jedi starfighter was basically the same thing, but tweaked to be a bit better, still, it wasn't as good since it wasn't the first of its kind (just like Kotor :wub: )

No. As a WC fan, I have to say that from the excellent WCII on, WC sucked, with Heart of the Tiger being a nice story hurt by the crappy actual gameplay. Prophecy wasn't too bad, but the combat was too arcade-ish. It was kinda cool to play for once as someone else than Mr Living Legend.

The SW space sim games were always better when it comes to game mechanics. And once WC lost the plot thing it had going for them, well, they just can't compare.

I happen to really, really like WC: Prophecy...much more entertaining to me in terms of combat than it's predecessors. The plot was decent too, with some all right performances and...stuff.

"...we shall be bathed in our own blood and rotted flesh shall be our fare..."

And I love the opening narrative. :wub:

How about X-Wing Alliance? It made an attempt at an actual story, unlike XvT, and I thought it succeeded fairly well...and with a texture mod I found (some 250MB worth.) it actually looks better now.

Academy was cool at first and the combat was fun, but once you finish it...that's it. Linear as all hell, accepting your choices of what missions to take in what order. I liked Outcast better, since it had more of a story going for it.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I just think there's a big difference between an arcade space game and those that seem more like a space simulator. I'm not saying either one is superior, but I just appreciate the fact that a spaceship would be more complicated than pointing and shooting.

I really enjoyed Prophecy. It had great cutscenes and an excellent story, but I did feel like they dumbed the combat down. I was shooting down dozens of ships in each mission, where in WC 1 and 2, it was difficult to get more than a few kills. I remember how proud I was of the medal I got for once shooting down 12 enemy fighters.

Final level on XWA was the death star ii tunnel run... to scale.

That alone made the game awesome.

Interesting.

I thought that mission was dreadful; good idea, but bad execution. Left a bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise really good game (I especially liked the 'family missions').

Ah well, to each their own, I guess...

1.  Wing Commander 1 - It was the first

2.  Tie Fighter - Great controls, great missions, you actually felt good about being an Imperial pilot.

3.  Wing Commander 2 - Hard to put this under Tie Fighter, because it really was an incredible story and space sim.

4.  Privateer - Freedom, but enough story to not be boring.  Freespace was almost this, but it lacked soul.

Hum...

Freespace 2. The rest, before and after, are crap compared to it, SW or not.

Others:

Starlancer

Tachyon : The Fringe

Freelancer

Final level on XWA was the death star ii tunnel run... to scale.

That alone made the game awesome.

Interesting.

I thought that mission was dreadful; good idea, but bad execution. Left a bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise really good game (I especially liked the 'family missions').

Ah well, to each their own, I guess...

You must have crashed a lot :p

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

2.  Tie Fighter - Great controls, great missions, you actually felt good about being an Imperial pilot.

3.  Wing Commander 2 - Hard to put this under Tie Fighter, because it really was an incredible story and space sim.

4.  Privateer - Freedom, but enough story to not be boring.  Freespace was almost this, but it lacked soul.

Hum...

Others:

Starlancer

Freelancer

You are clearly under 23. Those games do not compare to my list.

You are clearly under 23.  Those games do not compare to my list.

I'm under 23. But you are right. Freelancer was just a Privateer wannabe.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hum...

Others:

Starlancer

Freelancer

You are clearly under 23. Those games do not compare to my list.

I'm 31.

Freespace blew me away.

However, I admit to playing X-Wing for days. Probably in my all time top 10. I enjoyed it more than Tie Fighter. X-Wing was pure Space Sim fun.

And your are right, aside from FS2, my list does not compare to yours. I was just stating other notable space sims.

But remember that these games where made in a time were the Space Sim genre flourished, and Freelancer came in a time where the genre was as good as dead...

Bit like Baldur's Gate and the RPG, or the current adventures (some are good, but sofar none reached the epic old level of LA adventures and such kind)

Edited by Battlewookiee

And your are right, aside from FS2, my list does not compare to yours. I was just stating other notable space sims.

T'was a misunderstanding then.

But remember that these games in a time were the Space Sim genre flourished, and Freelancer came in a time where the genre was as good as dead...

Fair enough. I understand they had to drop some elements that would have made it a great game to hardcore genre fans to appeal to a larger audience. However that does not substract validity from my claims. Privateer >>> Freelancer.

Bit like Baldur's Gate and the RPG, or the current adventures (some are good, but sofar none reached the epic old level of LA adventures and such kind)

I didn't know the RPG genre was as good as dead when BG came out. I'll have to take your word for it.

And about the adventure games, I can't really tell as I'm not into that kind of games but I was under the impression that some recent adventures are pretty damn good. I think it's a severe case of nostalgia, with this.

But remember that these games where made in a time were the Space Sim genre flourished, and Freelancer came in a time where the genre was as good as dead...

Try Farhenheit/Indigo Prophecy. VERY good adventure game.

I miss space sims horribly. ST Bridge Commander and Freelancer did not fill the void. At all.

Try Farhenheit/Indigo Prophecy. VERY good adventure game.

I miss space sims horribly. ST Bridge Commander and Freelancer did not fill the void. At all.

Yes, Farhenheit is real nice, i give it 8-9 of 10 :huh:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png