Why does everyone hate Drizzt?

ramza

I don't really care if Drizzt is the only good drow amongst his race. It's just that I dislike the character he has come to be after all his adventures. I can't imagine a proud warrior whining about his fate. The only way for him to face his inferiority complex is going on killing sprees.

I would love if Salvatore would read this thread! :D

is there any way we can contact him? :p

...a landing plaine? or a carbomb? :D ( I make just fun, i love most of his chars/books :rolleyes: )

IB1OsQq.png

sometimes, I wonder why I keep reading his books... I didn't know I was a masochist...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

no comment... :rolleyes:

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

LOL!

one thing I know for sure is that some of the authors taking part in that project are crappy with a big C. One of them wrote the BG novels (based on the games) which are considered to be the worst books ever written in the history of litterature.

What tosh! I happen to know for a fact that the worst book in existence is 'Revenge of the Giant Crabs', the sequel to 'Night of the Giant Crabs', the second worst book in existence. If by some unhappy chance you find a copy (I burned mine) I strongly suggest you do not read them.

And I still fail to understand why I should like this munchkin dark-elf. Anyone who can convince me otherwise shall win a special prize.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"What innocent are you talking about? Do you mean the elf girl that seeked revenge on the basis of a misunderstanding? I was happy she got killed anyway, since she had turned to the dark side of the force"

A good goblin. It was in a short story in 'Heroes of Faerun' anthology. Very good story, and a sad ending to boot.

"munchkin dark-elf"

He's no munchkin.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Er... simply saying he ain't can't win you the prize, am afraid.

I was under the impression that a munchkin was someone who was super-powerful, started all kinds of ridiculous fights, made infantile decisions and annoyed the other party members. I don't know much about him, but what I do know fits this perfectly. Particularly the business of being a good dark elf, which while believable on general principles sounds like an excuse for having a higher-powered character. It reminds me of our discussion about the half-dragon mindflayer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

2 reasons for hating drizzle...

1) drizzle is superman

the drow ranger is a superhero with superhero powers.  super speed and balance and super skill, and he is wise and a shining beacon of goodness in spite of having been shown so little goodness in his life. ack.  sew a big gawdy "D" on the front of his tunic/shirt and take the hood of his cape and you could drop him into any comic book.

2) drizzle exploits losers

drizzle has so much beauty inside, but he is misunderstood by most of the world.  the beautiful misunderstood loner crap is so damned insulting... and so damned effective.  all the geeks and nerdlings who reads escapist fantasy to avoid their own inability to successfully enjoy mainstream society is given a hero they can easily identify with. 

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir 4TW!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Er... simply saying he ain't can't win you the prize, am afraid.

I was under the impression that a munchkin was someone who was super-powerful, started all kinds of ridiculous fights, made infantile decisions and annoyed the other party members. I don't know much about him, but what I do know fits this perfectly. Particularly the business of being a good dark elf, which while believable on general principles sounds like an excuse for having a higher-powered character. It reminds me of our discussion about the half-dragon mindflayer.

There is always a chance that an unique char is actually a disguised attempt to have a god-like char, but if played long/good enough, then a good drow has a great feel about it, and also it is challenging for a pnp-er :shifty:

IB1OsQq.png

Drizzt is very much a munchkin. My mighty scimitars will slice and dice everyone who crosses my path! You can't even touch me because I'm so great!

Not Obould, he had to take Catabrie's cursed sword to even get through his armor and he still lost.

He's not a super Drow Salvatore just doesn't put him up against anyone beyond his CR. Shuruppak would kill him in a round or two, mirt would come out on top in an encounter as well. Talk about a bad read it wouldn't take a book for a high level character to lay waste to drizzt and his friends.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

2) drizzle exploits losers

drizzle has so much beauty inside, but he is misunderstood by most of the world.  the beautiful misunderstood loner crap is so damned insulting... and so damned effective.  all the geeks and nerdlings who reads escapist fantasy to avoid their own inability to successfully enjoy mainstream society is given a hero they can easily identify with. 

What I meant in that other thread when I said Drizzt was o.k., was.....uh...... :)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Most complaints about Drizzt are so out in left field, it is laughable.

He is

Give what a thought? The fact that he narrowly escapes is done for plot purposes. Salvatore isn't going to kill off his cash cow, that'd be just plain stupid.

He isn't a standard D&D character, nowhere did I even come close to recomending such an absurdity. I said he is vulnerable, and he is, really no point in debating that point. Is he incredibly powerful? Undoubtedly, but it wouldn't exactly be a fun "fantasy" book if he weren't.

That doesn't explain why still so many people hate or dislike him...

...And? Tons of people hate people/places/things for reasons they believe, but are entirely untrue. Shouldn't have to point this out. Salem witch trials, anyone? I don't like Drizzt, but at least I don't like him for valid reasons; he is an emo drow - reason enough for anyone to hate him, really.

Besides, it's called backlash. The 'cool' people HAVE to hate all things popular. It's a rule.

I mean, some people even HATE icecream! WTF?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Give what a thought?  The fact that he narrowly escapes is done for plot purposes.  Salvatore isn't going to kill off his cash cow, that'd be just plain stupid.

He isn't a standard D&D character, nowhere did I even come close to recomending such an absurdity.  I said he is vulnerable, and he is, really no point in debating that point.  Is he incredibly powerful?  Undoubtedly, but it wouldn't exactly be a fun "fantasy" book if he weren't.

It would be better if the main character wasn't put at all in situation where he miraculously escapes. That way, the story will remain more credible. Even if Salvatore doesn't want to kill the source of its income, he should make some of his main characters die instead of killing only ancillary ones... for example, Wulfgar and Bruenor should have remained dead.

Just look at the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies... at least, some of the main characters die there. Those novels are good fantasy books (as opposed to Salvatore's average soap opera stories).

Maybe we just hate because of companions, after all... :thumbsup:

Edited by ramza