KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

You know what i want Obsidian Entertainment to say? i want them to give an official press release saying something like this: "Lucas Arts alone has the right to give the rights to make Kotor 3. We think a Kotor 3 would be money-wise. We know that we are not telling you anything you don't know, but at least it is official and it is about Kotor 3 ;)."

and they have to have the smiley face. and Feargus has to say that, just because his name is abnormal to me and it would be fun to tell random people, "Feargus gave an official press release about K3!"

*dreams* yes, that would sate my K3 palate for now. DO IT NOW!

The ability to join or run other factions would be nice, like Corta. Would give you something to do besides running all over the galaxy, instead of being the hunted being the hunter for a change would be nice. How about more areas per planet to explore, more cities etc. More side quests to keep you busy and maybe give you the chance to do what you would like to do instead of being cowprodded by the NPCs to what they want as apposed to what you would like to be doing. In the last game I felt sort of herded, go to a planet and well here it is all 100 feet of the planet.. well time to go do what Kriea wants to do. There should be more to a city also than 2 floors or a couple of levels and a shuttle room, if everything is going to be scripted than there is just soo much to keep you interested in 20 rooms.. some of which are empty. I don't mind going solo in a game, NPCs aren't really a necessary thing for me, but I would like more non player NPC characters and a boat ton of places to go next time. Also what about bounty hunters that actually hunt you down on thier own rather than just spawn during a story plot then (boom) ok were freinds now. Static enemies who don't want to be your freind would be nice, thier should be a nice assortment of people that hate you and want you dead and that aren't just pathetic peons that die with a wave of your hand. And not every NPC has to be part of the story plot, some people are just hateful, thieves, murderers and crooks, and not every NPC you meet has to have an annoying quest so you can leave the planet, why not just buy/steal a shuttle. If we have an NPC or if our character is a Tech.. then let him do tech stuff.. build droids, buy/repair ships, etc.

The ability to join or run other factions would be nice, like Corta. Would give you something to do besides running all over the galaxy, instead of being the hunted being the hunter for a change would be nice. How about more areas per planet to explore, more cities etc. More side quests to keep you busy and maybe give you the chance to do what you would like to do instead of being cowprodded by the NPCs to what they want as apposed to what you would like to be doing. In the last game I felt sort of herded, go to a planet and well here it is all 100 feet of the planet.. well time to go do what Kriea wants to do. There should be more to a city also than 2 floors or a couple of levels and a shuttle room, if everything is going to be scripted than there is just soo much to keep you interested in 20 rooms.. some of which are empty. I don't mind going solo in a game, NPCs aren't really a necessary thing for me, but I would like more non player NPC characters and a boat ton of places to go next time. Also what about bounty  hunters that actually hunt you down on thier own rather than just spawn during a story plot then (boom) ok were freinds now. Static enemies who don't want to be your freind would be nice, thier should be a nice assortment of people that hate you and want you dead and that aren't just pathetic peons that die with a wave of your hand. And  not every NPC has to be part of the story plot, some people are just hateful, thieves, murderers and crooks, and not every NPC you meet has to have an annoying quest so you can leave the planet, why not just buy/steal a shuttle. If we have an NPC or if our character is a Tech.. then let him do tech stuff.. build droids, buy/repair ships, etc.

i would like to actually get to damage an organization. For example the exchange on a certain planet or a bounty hunter clan that messes with you. Our you can take bounties to take down a whole clan or gang.

some things they also did wrong was the way it ended. I finished it male female light dark and if your light i think its kinda retarted how the jedi masters u save betray u and if your dark then **** they should be dead.

True true, I was thinking "WTF I just got you guys together, now you want to kill me ??"

Guest The Architect

After reading some recent posts I've decided not to post anymore of my K3 storyline. It's true that it would suck if they used some of our story ideas because it wouldn't be a surpirse now would it? But posting ideas for what you want in K3 that is not associated with the storyline is fine.

with regard to blood, etc: the Jedi Knight games generally do not have blood but there is a reason for that....energy weapons, such as lightsaber, and even the basic blaster, have a self-cauterizing effect and so the wound is simply not bleeding.

the Jedi Knight games do utilize severe wounds, however...just not blood.

KOTOR is a turn-based RPG. There isn't any reason to suddenly switch from RPG to real-time. Now, I can see a few tweaks and changes in the KOTOR engine but nothing dramatic.

it really wouldn't bother me either way. I just want a "real" lightsaber and that seems to fit RT better....but it could still work TB.

KOTOR combat was, on most maps anyway, preceeded by conversation of some kind....in other words, combat was secondary to what was going on....they definitely need to keep that even if they go real time.

they CANNOT retreat on dialogue, story, NPC interaction and all the other things that drew us to KOTOR in the first place.....the main problem with going real time is that they might just get lazy and turn this into another Quake clone (which is really what the Jedi Knight games are).

as long as they keep combat in its proper place, I personally would not mind it being real time: Jade Empire, Mass Effect (in development), etc do, I think, show a trend in moving RPGs to RT.

Guest The Architect

How would you handle the fates of Revan and the Exile in K3?

A) Kill them both off

B) Play as Revan

C) Play as the Exile

D) Play half the game as the Exile, the other half as Revan

E) Limit them to minor cameo appearences

F) Both to make appearences but not be the main character or a party member

G) Don't kill them off, but don't make appearences either

H) Kill either Revan or the Exile off, but not both

I) Start as the Exile searching for Revan and when you find him/her, have them both as main characters with two different parties and ships

J) Having both Revan and the Exile as party members under a new main character

K) Give Revan and the Exile major roles, but not be the main character/s or PM's

L) Having Revan as the Main PC and the Exile as a party member with Revan...

M) Having the Exile as the Main PC and Revan as a party member with the Exile...

Note that you are allowed to vote for more than one letter but you cannot vote for the same letter twice...

The latest poll standings combining both the LucasArts and Obsidian poll standings are...

K - 24

I - 24

F - 10

J - 7

A - 5

L - 4

B - 4

D - 2

E - 1

C - 1

M - 1

H - 1

So far it's pretty clear which two are the most popular choices regarding how Revan and the Exile should be handled...

KOTOR is a turn-based RPG. There isn't any reason to suddenly switch from RPG to real-time. Now, I can see a few tweaks and changes in the KOTOR engine but nothing dramatic.

You can have an almost fully real-time experience by going in the options and unchecking all those PAUSE triggers. The game will only pause if you hit SPACE. They could do that for K3.

Imagine K3 built similar to Jedi Academy, or Outcast.

When you have a gun equipped, you run around in first person. When an enemy is spotted, auto-pause kicks in and you choose a target. When you hit space, you always keep the same enemy targetted until its dead. When you shoot or are shot at, the D20 system kicks in to determine if you're hit and how much damage you receive. Same with lightsaber except you have real-time moves determined by the style and stance and it's then third person.

When you target is killed, you hit the NEXT TARGET button until you find your desired prey, in real-time.

Wouldn't THAT be sweet?

Twitch style gaming doesn't belong in Real CRPGs.  Jade Empire played more like an action game than a CRPG so that is how I classify it.  If you want real time combat play a FPS or some other action oriented game.  Leave the CRPGs out of it.

It's not twitch if you can pause at will and issue commands. Master.

I would also like to be referred to as either Jedi or Sith or whatever I represent in the next game. I don't want to be a special snowflake Jedi/Sith who is constantly called Chosen one, Exile, One who will bring balance to the force, or Golden Child or something.

On a more important note Force powers in the past games are used more like ammunition in an FPS, charge them up and fire. I dont see many realistic uses of the force, especially in reguards to raw force manipulation. I mean levitation, grabbing objects without walking over to them, using random objects as weapons, Force jumping onto another platform far away from danger etc. Wouldn't be hard Star Wars bounty hunter had better movement than either Kotor did... also much better fights due to the 3 deminsional movement you had. Why in a 3D game we only have 2D movement is frustrating.

Also commented earlier on this but limits to force powers or caps, Vader only really ever used force choke, force throws and was a powerful fighter as far as strength goes. Palpatine(Sidious) rarely used anything other than lighting and mental manipulation. Yoda was a little ninja who had great skills at defending against undefendable attacks like lightning(see palpatine fight) but didn't show any other real powers other than really good force awareness and future sight... which should be a power choice. Basically it needs to be redone to more of an either D&D style or White Wolf style of skills(powers) and crossing to a darkside power if your a Jedi should cost double just like if your a Ventrue trying to learn Tremere powers, for those of you who have no idea who those are, just read up on white wolf character creation and youll see what i mean. Seems to me most average jedi/sith are fighter grunts who mainly just have some basic force manipulation powers and put alot into fighting to compensate, a strong jedi which Vader most definately was would be able to hurl boulders and pieces of ship at you by ripping them off with his power. Take in mind he isnt a top notch saber fighter soo just got tired of it and threw some stuff at Luke till he got him worn down, then went for the kill with some cyborg powered blows. Palpatine probably trained for years to learn to cast a single lighting bolt at like a fly or somethingl. Its not something that should be a spammable power. In order to use that force earthquke as much as Exile did in K2 hed have to be easily Vaders equal or more. Force Tornado.. I saw Obiwan use that a (few) times against some shield droids.. and Ben is strong in the force.

There should be trainers scattered across the galaxy who will train only those they deem worthy sith/jedi. Holocrons to learn from etc. It should be Hard to learn new exotic force powers so you will feel accomplishment when you learn them, also if there are alot of strange things to learn about the force everyone wont have a clone of each others character. I heard that the weaker jedi from the Lucas stories were taught to use their powers to grow things, these were some of the Jedi that were non - combatants, Sith orders have their own types of weak underlings who learn utiity skills with thier powers. This would be good for the peaceful player who wants to just help farming communties and do peacful stuff ..... err not me but some people might want to do that. A vast world with more personal limitations is far more interesting.

How does any of that translate into turn based?... a simple power cap, more powers, more detailed powers, restrictions on light side(dark side) users from useing the entire spectrum of force powers. A harder and more detailed character development that makes you specialize more so you won't be uber god, and a game that caters on a more personal level does not translate into turn based. Phased based is fine pfft I dont care what kind of combat timing they put in, I want a Force power tree closer to the reality of the movies and comics. I don't see how thats unreasonable. Adding side quests doesn't mean turn based either, it just means more work for the programmers... who doesn't want more places and people to meet/explore. Fixing the powers/levels system isn't a cry for turn based either.. when you click on the (level) button the game always stopped anyway, I don't see how this is a big change. If you don't like the idea thats fine.. its a forum after all... but where the #$%#% did you get turn based from.

@The Architect ... can I vote twice? - My first vote goes to "K" - I don't really want ot play Revan or Exile again in a new game, but we need to wrap up their story.

My alternate vote goes for "J" - with this caveat ... the "main stoyrline quest" could be for a new Jedi (your PC) to track down Revan and Exile (they don't join your party until the end of the game)

... the lead-up to the final level would involve discovering the big "threat" everyone's warned us about, actually finding Revan and Exile (separately), and convincing them to join you (or killing them)

... the final level would be confronting the "threat" (either with or without their help).

For everyone else ... the game should begin with you as an untrained force-sensitive or force adept ...

FIRST STAGE: attracting and accepting a master / mentor (I want to start on Coruscant, but hey, so does almost everyone else)

SECOND STAGE: master / mentor is killed (LS) ... is killed by you (if you started DS) ... or abandons you (if you started LS and turned DS) ... ultimately, clues are revealed that lead to "the big threat" (the logical locations here is Korriban (DS) or Dantooine (LS))

THIRD STAGE (MAIN QUEST): track down clues following Revan's and Exile's paths (obvious repeat locations are Dantooine (DS), Duxn, Korriban (LS), and a few others should be thrown in for good measure, especially including a few new locations)

FOURTH STAGE: find and recruit or kill Revan and Exile ... both options should be available, even if there's a LS/DS difference ... their motivation to save the galaxy from a "threat" that the galaxy's not ready for should allow the option for a LS PC to recruit a DS Revan (at least two new locations)

FIFTH STAGE: confront the threat (with you're newly-forged party of Jedi-Gods)

... oh, and I want robes w/ hoods, actual helmets, less pastel-colored armor (and more dark-colored armor), lightsabers with different hilts, more sidequests, sidequests more interesting than "fetch and deliver" missions, hotkeys for pazaak, actual swoop racing (not just time trials), less linear level maps, more options in avatar selection, and wouldn't mind some cameos from old party members and NPC's