The Battlestar Galactica Thread

astr0creep

No need to get upset.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I was really surprised by how good it was. As usual a friend had to sit me down and make me watch it, since I watch little TV. Obviously it had to be populist, but for all that there are some interesting ideas in there. And teh military side of things pulls far fewer punches than I was expecting.

One to watch in my opinion.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm actually watching it right now. I don't normally watch it, and the only reason I am watching it is because I am too lazy to change the channel, and there is nothing else on. It actually isn't too bad.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

This is perhaps one of the best sci-fi TV shows in recent memory IMO.

I tended to watch Star Trek a lot, but come DS9 (at least the last 1/2 to 1/4 of it) and much of Voayger, that really became stale, since the story quality wasn't that good.

I'm only seventeen, so I've never seen the orignal Batllestar (whether I'm old enough to, I have no idea), so i'm asking my father about stuff now and again, but this is easily a great show. The acting is strong and deep, and the music is great. The haunting peice in the openig credits is but one example. The story is also brilliant.

If you haven't watched this show yet, watch it now! :rolleyes:

I particularly like the fact that Starbuck is a believable female heroine. Not a kind of stick figure. I've dated two ex-soldier girls and she really has the quirky tense femininity/masculinity aspect down pat. Impressive.

I was also surprised to find that all the sex seemed to work. I'd heard a lot of complaints and then I thought: hang on a minute. Most personal accounts of wartime I've ever read, and every frightening situation I've ever been in has been bursting with kanoodling. It happens.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've been enjoying it too. I originally avoided it because I watched the original as a kid - it wasn't particularly great but gained memorability through repetition - and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get past that. I changed my mind when I saw the pilot movie over Christmas, though. The music is great, the acting superb and the story enthrallingly gritty. Shame I missed the first series, but that's what the internet's for. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I was also surprised to find that all the sex seemed to work. I'd heard a lot of complaints and then I thought: hang on a minute. Most personal accounts of wartime I've ever read, and every frightening situation I've ever been in has been bursting with kanoodling. It happens.

I suppose I must be a prude in that regard. I thought it was too much IMO. But I have never been in such a situation before so I would not know. Who knows, I could be a sexual beast if I was in such a situation. :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You just look at the birth rates in the UK post WW1 and WW2. Danger puts our mambo engines on full burn, if you follow me. Human population actually rises after a big war. So much so that they compeltely counter the deaths several times over. Of course all those warbabies don't really make up for al the lost knowledge and experience, but you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they put in all the sex for marketing purposes, but the style works in context.

-Elwood Blues

I don't find that there is a lot of sex in BSG. Starbuck with Baltar/Lee, Starbuck with a football player, Lee with a prostitute. Thats it, among 26 episodes.

There was a lot more sex in NYPD Blue and the beloved, mafia promoting Sopranos, not to mention all those sitcom inuendos.

What impresses me the most is the continuing storyline. Every episode follows the previous one and each of them is written in such a way that even if you miss a few, it's really easy to get back into it, moslty because of the recaps at the beginning of each episode.

Starbuck hasn't been there in a while, I think the series is due for another big clash with the Cylons, enough with the internal human bickering already!

I also think there is something very wrong with the President, she has changed a lot and now it's like the power is going to her head. In Blackmarket, last friday's episode, I was hoping for a real confrontation with Baltar instead, she asks him to resign, he says no, end of confrontation.

Oh and sex does have a function. They must repopulate!

I suppose I must be a prude in that regard. I thought it was too much IMO. But I have never been in such a situation before so I would not know. Who knows, I could be a sexual beast if I was in such a situation. :(

Isn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I suppose I must be a prude in that regard. I thought it was too much IMO. But I have never been in such a situation before so I would not know. Who knows, I could be a sexual beast if I was in such a situation. :)

Isn

-Elwood Blues

Starbuck hasn't been there in a while, I think the series is due for another big clash with the Cylons, enough with the internal human bickering already!

Uh... its been 1 episode since Starbuck was in.

Clash with the Cylons? 2 episodes back they took out their ressurection ship.

The show is about humanity, coming to grips with what they lost, and what they need to do in order to survive. The conflict with the Cylons should take a back seat, especially now that the Ressurection ship has been destroyed. Also, they're in a constant struggle with the Cylons, like the whole baby issue, and the group being led by the blond Cylon (did they ever give her a name, or is it just number 5?)

Uh... its been 1 episode since Starbuck was in.

Clash with the Cylons? 2 episodes back they took out their ressurection ship.

The show is about humanity, coming to grips with what they lost, and what they need to do in order to survive. The conflict with the Cylons should take a back seat, especially now that the Ressurection ship has been destroyed. Also, they're in a constant struggle with the Cylons, like the whole baby issue, and the group being led by the blond Cylon (did they ever give her a name, or is it just number 5?)

Yeah you're right about Starbuck. I guess it's because each episode seem so far from one another. Weeks are sooo long.

And you are right about the resurection ship also. I didn't think about that. It should take a while for actual cylon ships to show up again because of the risk of losing lives.

As for the blond Cylon, her model is number six. There are 8 models in the fleet with many copies of each in the Cylon Empire(?). The Sharon model has a number but I don't think they mentioned it throughout the series. Yet. She is referred to as ''The Sharon model'' obviously because no human(except for Baltar perhaps) is aware of the model's number. The ''real'' blond has a name, which is given to Baltar in Epiphanies but i can't remember what it is.

So, strong women in leading roles at its best then?

Cylon hot females : Number 6(the blond Seven-of-Nine wannabe), Sharon, the pregnant Cylon (Number 3 I think) and Xeena.

Starbuck is definitaly a strong leading woman but she is also a bit of a **** as she sleep with a different guy in almost every episode.

In Battlestar Galactica this behavior is commendable to a certain extent since they do need to repopulate a planet when they find it in the series finale.