The Battlestar Galactica Thread

astr0creep

and how come they can never keep the SDL drives online?

FTL. Waste of power if not using them?

Anyway, that episode was fab. Fab fab fab.

I think he meant why are they always the first thing to get damaged.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

and how come they can never keep the SDL drives online?

FTL. Waste of power if not using them?

Anyway, that episode was fab. Fab fab fab.

I think he meant why are they always the first thing to get damaged.

Yep, and I feel better about myself because I didn't know what the drives were really called, apparently.

Is it just me or did was Adama's plan really really crappy?

Spoils from Season 2:

We have already seen how well the Pegasus and Galactica can do against cylon basestars. We saw both Galactica and Pegasus blow the crap out of at least one of the basestars in Resurrection Ship while taking fire from the second one. Just watched that section again and it showed both Battlestars circling the cylon basestar. Now I'm not sure what kind of a firing arc those main guns on Pegasus have, but they could only have been using around half of their guns as the weapons on the opposite side would have to aim through Pegasus to hit the target. This episode showed that the two battlestars were easily a match for two cylon basestars.

Later on in the season during "The Captain's Hand" we got to see Pegasus take on three basestars by iteself. It had been taking heavy damage from the ships, including at least 2 nuclear detonations IIRC. Lee turned Pegasus straight towards one of the basestars and managed to deal enough damage to it in order to make it rethink it's strategy and start to run away. I don't know just what kind of damage it was taking but it was making some pretty nice explosions there.

Spoils from Season 3:

From what I can gather this is Adama's plan step by step:

• Wait till reduced numbers of basestars are present before jumping to the nebula.
  • Launch decoy drones to distract the basestars.
  • Jump into the atmosphere to launch raptors that assist efforts on the ground.
  • Jump back into orbit.
  • Get your butt kicked by basestars so that they don't target the civilian ships jumping out from the atmosphere.

Now it seems to me like this is just one big suicide plan that makes no sense at all, so I came up with a different plan that, at least to me, looks like it has some chance at success.

My alternate plan of attack:

To begin with you keep the same timing, however you bring both battlestars into the nebula. You can use the decoys to locate the cylon basestars and from this point we deviate from the "Let's all get ourselves killed plan" and go into the "*** kicking plan".

Instead of jumping the Galactica or the Pegasus into the atmosphere and risking massive damage from a re-entry flight, you send a squad of combat raptors out to jump down to the surface, possibly along with the heavy Cylon raider that was captured in season 2. These aircraft can assist those on the ground just as easily as a squad of vipers could, especially since there were no cylon raiders on the ground.

While this is going on you go straight after those cylon basestars in orbit with Galactica and Pegasus. They have already proven that they can take on basestars before and should have only a little difficulty in taking on the basestars in orbit. With two battlestars there as targets it seems likely that at least some fire will be split between the two ships providing both with more longevity in the fight. If possible, you could use the pegasus as a shield for the galactica as pegasus has much better armour.

Now even with the additional two basestars that jumped into orbit, once again we would have a division of fire between galactica and pegasus. In addition it is highly likely that at least one of the basestars would have been crippled if not destroyed before the re-inforcements arrive.

Finally you jump out before your FTL drives are damaged and can't get you out of there and bingo! Safe and sound.

:wacko:"

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but surely they could have some up with something better than what they did anyway. <_<

Edited by Deraldin

Also a note on their chances:

In season 2 in those battles both ships had a full complement of vipers to take on the raiders launched by the Basestars. Neither had any this time so were taking fire from both the Basestars and the raiders.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

for those of you who have not yet watched Season 2.5 (but have watched everything else), let me just say that both the "main story" and the character arcs (i.e. romances and such) go off in a surprisingly different direction than what you might have thought...and it all moves so fast.

I suspect Season 3 will bring even more surprises but I'll have to wait for that.

Also a note on their chances:

In season 2 in those battles both ships had a full complement of vipers to take on the raiders launched by the Basestars. Neither had any this time so were taking fire from both the Basestars and the raiders.

Not true. Galactica launch a bunch of fighters straight into the atmosphere and Lee left his complement with the fleet as protection. They may not have had a full load of vipers, but they were not completely without fighter cover either.

Also one more thing. Why don't they use their nukes? They have at least three left on Galactica. Load them up in a couple of raptors and have the raptors jump right in beside the basestars and fire. BAM! Cylons won't know what hit them! ;)

In Season One, Adama tells Baltar that he can use the last nuke (for his Cylon detector research).

From the Battlestar wiki entry on the Galactica

Nuclear Warheads

Galactica had five nuclear warheads as of "Bastille Day." Commander William Adama uses one warhead to destroy a Cylon basestar (Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part II). Dr. Gaius Baltar cannibalizes one to use in his Cylon Detector, which he later gives to Gina, who detonates it aboard Cloud Nine. This leaves Galactica with three warheads (It is unknown how many nuclear warheads Pegasus still had when it encountered Galactica, and they may have pooled their nuclear ordnance stockpiles since then).

Meh, you're missing alot of things.

BTW, they said that Galactica could hold off 2 stars, but not 4. Remeber, they had a skeleton crew with many peeps being green. It also did not have viper cover when it was being attacked, pre-Lee. If they did, they sure died quick, to the point it was meaningless.

The episode before last indicated that a frontal assault would end in several base stars jumping in, as well.

I hate you for making me read far to deeply into a good episode.

Edited by kumquatq3

Meh, you're missing alot of things.

BTW, they said that Galactica could hold off 2 stars, but not 4. Remeber, they had a skeleton crew with many peeps being green.  It also did not have viper cover when it was being attacked, pre-Lee.  If they did, they sure died quick, to the point it was meaningless.

The episode before last indicated that a frontal assault would end in several base stars jumping in, as well.

I hate you for making me read far to deeply into a good episode.

Galactica wouldn't have been able to hold off anymore than 2 even if they did have a full crew. Galactica was a lot more vulnerable to nuke strikes than Pegasus was to begind with. I'm surprised they didn't get the crap kicked out of them by those basestars firing nukes.

And you are right, Galactica did not have viper cover when it was being attack, before or after Lee.

Galactica had vipers however it launched them into the atmosphere to help the colonists on the ground. Pegasus also had vipers, however Lee left them all with the civilian fleet.

Several base stars jumped in anyway so I don't really see what different it would have made...

<_<

Frag spoiler text

They went with decoys, hence trying to avoid a fight if possible. Instead of going toe to toe with the Base Stars.

Fine then. But they could have still sent in a bunch of raptors outfitted with weapons to jump down to the ground rather then sending in the Galactica to drop off a bunch of vipers. :lol:

Frag spoiler text

They went with decoys, hence trying to avoid a fight if possible. Instead of going toe to toe with the Base Stars.

Fine then. But they could have still sent in a bunch of raptors outfitted with weapons to jump down to the ground rather then sending in the Galactica to drop off a bunch of vipers. :ermm:

NO! That was the coolest part of the episode! Shock and Awe! :shifty:

NO! That was the coolest part of the episode! Shock and Awe!  :shifty:

That was the conclusion my dad and I came up with when we were discussing the episode earlier. The only reason they did what they did was because it made a damn nice special effects shot, rather than any kind of tactical sense. :ermm:"

NO! That was the coolest part of the episode! Shock and Awe!  :thumbsup:

That was the conclusion my dad and I came up with when we were discussing the episode earlier. The only reason they did what they did was because it made a damn nice special effects shot, rather than any kind of tactical sense. :huh:"

It should have been one of the final battle scenes though.

alright, maybe someone can help me with what appears to be a major plot hole.

I will spoiler tag this and would appreciate tagged responses.

Soooo, the tortured instance of NUMBER SIX takes a gun and manages to kill Admiral Cain. Most of the Galactica people are relieved, of course, and the Admiral is buried. However, there is absolutely no mention of an investigation. Did they ever conclude it was a Cylon agent? Perhaps, since her cell was empty and she overwhelmed Baltar. Then, if that is the case, wouldn't there be a fleetwide sweep to find this instance of Six? She did, after all, kill a flag officer of the Colonial Fleet! She becomes part of the peace movement and no one recognizes her?

That is the first major plot hole in the series, IMO.

alright, maybe someone can help me with what appears to be a major plot hole.

I will spoiler tag this and would appreciate tagged responses.

Soooo, the tortured instance of NUMBER SIX takes a gun and manages to kill Admiral Cain.  Most of the Galactica people are relieved, of course, and the Admiral is buried.  However, there is absolutely no mention of an investigation.  Did they ever conclude it was a Cylon agent?  Perhaps, since her cell was empty and she overwhelmed Baltar.  Then, if that is the case, wouldn't there be a fleetwide sweep to find this instance of Six?  She did, after all, kill a flag officer of the Colonial Fleet!  She becomes part of the peace movement and no one recognizes her?

That is the first major plot hole in the series, IMO.

I think part of the reason why I can't recall any real investigation into the death of Admiral Cain was because, Adama needed it done anyway. Sooner or later either Adama or Cain would have killed the other for whatever reason. Not sure if that really would make a difference.

Not that it really matters what happened considering what occured in the season two finale. :("

Edited by Deraldin