What were they thinking?

has been a number of "what the hell..." kinda moments we were having over the years. probably has already been mentioned, but most recent unfortunate example were the mentionings of the droid factory in kotor2 and how/why obsidian left'em in the game.

laugh if you will, but Gromnir retraced every possible inch o' accesible geography in kotor2 looking for the droid factory we musta' missed.

oh sure, they 'members to take out the factory, but they forgets to take out a couple lines of dialogue from hk-47?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, I hate when the AI cheats. Yeah, I know in most games, the AI does exactly that. But hell, most of the time it doesn't do it in your face.

I'm thinking particularly of the enemy spellcasters in BG2. How many Chain Contingencies can a Cowled Wizard have? And what's the deal with the auto Stoneskin just "triggering" when the player appears or the previous layer of stoneskins has been dissipated?

That game had some truly stupid scripting. Draconis, with his insta-invisibility as many times per round as he wishes, comes to mind. All of this is even more enraging, considering that your own spells don't work nearly as well. Your True Sight only dissipates invisibility effects once per round, which means it's useless against him. Your Chain Contingencies set to trigger when the character is at 50% hp only trigger a few seconds after the caster's dead, most of the time, etc.

Boy, did that suck.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

As it stands, it's a pretty weird and pointless feature that could have been much better.

So this character does it all on his own, it's not even you getting to decide what to decorate with as a mini-game (that might appeal to Sim's like people, bad decor and all)? If so, yeah, that is really stupid/pointless? :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So this character does it all on his own, it's not even you getting to decide what to decorate with as a mini-game (that might appeal to Sim's like people, bad decor and all)? If so, yeah, that is really stupid/pointless? :D

Yeah, there's not even a chance to do that. You just find some furniture, then when you enter the room it shows the message you see on the first screen (

laugh if you will, but Gromnir retraced every possible inch o' accesible geography in  kotor2 looking for the droid factory we musta' missed. 

oh sure, they 'members to take out the factory, but they forgets to take out a couple lines of dialogue from hk-47? 

HA! Good Fun!

A slight over step when they were rushed to get the game out. :(

laugh if you will, but Gromnir retraced every possible inch o' accesible geography in  kotor2 looking for the droid factory we musta' missed. 

HA! Good Fun!

A slight over step when they were rushed to get the game out. :(

Indeed ;)

Here's a few "Huh?" moments that I've had playing games:

The XP system in Arcanum. Really everything about character creation in that game was broken, but this was the killer for me. They deliberately design a character system where everything is given equal weight, and lead the player to believe that non-combatant skills and abilities are very important, and then they build an XP system that awards most of the experience in the game based on hits and damage done in combat by the PC character alone (not party members). Idiotic!!

The Egyptians in Rome: Total War. Somehow, the designers were under the impression that Egypt was a major military force in the Roman period. They gave them some of the most ridiculously overpowered units in the game.

The Hunter-Seeker Algorithm in Alpha Centauri. SMAC was a great game, but this one great project (I don't recall what they called the 'wonders of the world' in that game) was a bad decision. It renders total immunity from mind probes (spies) on the entire faction the builds it. This totally shuts down an interesting aspect of the game. It also renders meaningless one of the main weaknesses of the University faction. Thus, the University became a favorite of many players because they knew they could eliminate one of their main drawbacks with a fairly cheap early-game project.

The "Square" in Tetris. What were they thinking?!! Where am I supposed to put this thing??!!!