What were they thinking?

Baldur's Gate 2.

I think the worst example of how consequences, and by association consequences of evil actions, were handled in Baldur's Gate is how you can slaughter innocents but then go to a nearby temple and offer money to bump your reputation back up, even to a 20.

Example of evil 2: When some idiot grub farmer babbles about how his kid died because adventurers convinced him it was fun....

You slap him down... :ermm:

Yet you only get the XP if you take the good route and talk him down and convince him it was his son's destiny... then buy the fool a drink....

...suck.

I think you actually get experience from killing him as well, although if I recall it isn't as much as it is given for talking him out of it.

My Chaotic Neutral gnome talked him out of it... Then backstabbed him.

Strangest part of that scenario is that no one in the tavern seems to care I'm attacking Marl.

I love being manipulative.

One of my most enjoyable things I've done as an evil player, was convince Zaalbar to lay the smack down on Mission.

It was probably cool because I had never really seen anything like that in a video game before. Kind of like how the BG2 romances were super cool when I first played them, though romances in general I find rather bland now.

Or taking something from someone that will be the death of them if they lost it. Like that smuck in K2 in the kinrath caves. "So sorry my need is great than yours." If you are going to be evil. say it with sarcasm.  :ermm:

Say it with a lightsaber :D

I wouldn't dirty my hands on that filthy twi'lek, I just forced choked him to daeth. :lol:

I actually felt kind of bad too.

As I said in a different thread, any time a game can illicit an emotional response from me is something special indeed.

Indigo Prophecy. :)

Also: On topic - Worst design ever... going from a cool supernatural thriller to "Teh Matrix with Hobos" :)

I question at times the AI as in Artificial Intelligence in games. At times I wonder if the person who did the scripts was intelligent to make it. You're being attacked and your party just stands there looking stupid as you are near death, even though the AI is on for them to attack enemies that attack you or you attack them.

I question at times the AI as in Artificial Intelligence in games. At times I wonder if the person who did the scripts was intelligent to make it. You're being attacked and your party just stands there looking stupid as you are near death, even though the AI is on for them to attack enemies that attack you or you attack them.

Well, I know in Deus Ex, Warren Spector has come right out and said that they left the AI for just about the last thing and just ran out of time to do things right with it. He said he regrets that because he feels the poor AI weakens the Sim experience of the game greatly.

I'm paraphrasing that obviously.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.