Replayability of games

We should have gotten at least 50 attempts out of it without it getting stale.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It wasn't worth it because it got stale after 48 attempts.

Hmm you could play Baldur's Gate 100 times and it would never go stale. New games they make these days. :wub:

False. 100 times playing the same game gets stale.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Not, if it's Fallout 2!

Ehmm...I mean...yeah.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Baldur's Gate has never grown stale to me. Neither has Fallout, Planescape Torment, Ultima 4, and so forth. Games that have gotten stale after a bit were Arcanum, KotOR 1, Morrowind, Indigo Prophecy and the like.

There are some games I just get fixated on like Bioware's jade Empire. Played that through lmore than a hundred times. I think that NWN 2 might be my next fixation.

Mine was Mafia.

Damned awesome game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

There are some games I just get fixated on like Bioware's jade Empire.  Played that through lmore than a hundred times. 

Indeed. I recall on weekend I would boot up Jade Empire, start a new game, finish it, start a new game, finish it, start a new game...

However, the most times I've played a game was Super Mario Bros 3. Took me a looooooooong time to beat that one.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Baldur's Gate has never grown stale to me.  Neither has Fallout, Planescape Torment, Ultima 4, and so forth.  Games that have gotten stale after a bit were Arcanum, KotOR 1, Morrowind, Indigo Prophecy and the like.

There are some games I just get fixated on like Bioware's jade Empire.  Played that through lmore than a hundred times.  I think that NWN 2 might be my next fixation.

Where'd you find time to play through a game like Vampire pretty much twice?

There are some games I just get fixated on like Bioware's jade Empire.  Played that through lmore than a hundred times.  I think that NWN 2 might be my next fixation.

How can you do that? Once I know the story and have played through it for the various different endings, I get bored since I know exactly what's coming and exactly what each character says/does in situations.

I loved K1, but I got bored with it after I saw both endings as both male and female, and once I got through with a lot of the mods. Same with K2. And same with BG, BG2, FO, FO2, PS:T, etc. Once I've seen the ending a couple of times I don't see it as fun anymore playing through a game where I know what will happen.

I guess I just can't think of ANY game that has a huge difference in variety each time you play through. The good ones have some instances where you can play through different, but none that give me a completely new playing experience after having finished the game 3 or 4 times.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thing is I just don't look at the story aspects. I use different the different character models, different forms, try to make the perfect combination, try to make as many of the multicolored orbs as I can in a single fight. I once got up to 12 oirbs in a single series of fights. not bad in grand master mode.

How can you do that? Once I know the story and have played through it for the various different endings, I get bored since I know exactly what's coming and exactly what each character says/does in situations.

I loved K1, but I got bored with it after I saw both endings as both male and female, and once I got through with a lot of the mods. Same with K2. And same with BG, BG2, FO, FO2, PS:T, etc. Once I've seen the ending a couple of times I don't see it as fun anymore playing through a game where I know what will happen.

I guess I just can't think of ANY game that has a huge difference in variety each time you play through. The good ones have some instances where you can play through different, but none that give me a completely new playing experience after having finished the game 3 or 4 times.

Yeah I agree with this 100%

KOTOR 1 was actually my first rpg videogame becaue in general, I'm not a big fan, I know I know, sue me. But I loved KOTOR, and it actually got me back into Star Wars which the prequels (ep 1-2 at the time) totally sucked the life out of starwars. (ep3 was much better) But Even with KOTOR 1 I played it with male and female darkside and lightside endings, but then also I played a few different classes just to see how it changed gameplay, because I had never played an rpg before.

But with KOTOR 2 I only played thru 4 times.

Edited by Lord Satasn

Hmm you could play Baldur's Gate 100 times and it would never go stale. New games they make these days. :)

Nonsense. You're just not a die hard BG fan like me. BG and Fallout never grow tiring no matter how many times I've played them.

"There are some games I just get fixated on like Bioware's jade Empire. Played that through lmore than a hundred times."

WOWSERS!

Seriously, I ahve never played any game outside the silly little games when I wa skid more than times. Even my all time favorites like BG2, FO2, or FF8 I only played 3 times each. Started playing a 4th, and simply got bored. In fact, I have only payed two game frequently after 3 months of buying it. One is NWN (which I ahve completeled the OC 3 times now - 1ce in MP), and the other is MVP Baseball 2005. Other than that, no.

The games simply get stale. I could only play and complete either KOTOR once each.

WOWSERS!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hmm you could play Baldur's Gate 100 times and it would never go stale. New games they make these days. ;)

Nonsense. You're just not a die hard BG fan like me. BG and Fallout never grow tiring no matter how many times I've played them.

From start to finish you can play it 100 times? Full game? Actually finish it 100 times?

I am a big Baldurs Gate fan, and I've attempted dozens of play throughs. But most times I give up midway through because I know what's coming.

I agree with Hades on the replay thing....basically, if I play BG with 5 mages and a thief, that is a much different experience than playing with 2 fighters, a cleric, a thief, a bard, and a mage....TOTALLY DIFFERENT....

same goes for the PC's class, gender and alignment....one of the reasons K2 has decent replay value is there are different convos and even party members depending on how you play.

I, of course, think the KOTORs could use more party management (more like BG) but they are moving in the right direction with things like that.

Good money? What...they're like 10 bucks in the bargain bins, if you can find them.

Fantasy crpgs. BG is a team combat rpg and NWN is a single character adventure hack with an awful campaign and awesome mods.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Too true dat.

They have decent gameplay and ok stories, but I wouldn't exactly recommend them.

kirottu said:

"NWN is a single character adventure hack with an awful campaign and awesome mods."

No.

Ok campaign with more as much if not more role-playing than BG2. And, definitely more than BG1. Most mods are not so good, many are good, and a few are great. Also, NWN is not quite a single character. It's a single PC + party just like BG. Of course, in the OC and SOU it's 1 npc. In HOTU, it's two.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hmm you could play Baldur's Gate 100 times and it would never go stale. New games they make these days. :)

Then why do you buy new games?