Heroes of Might & Magic V Beta

Setzer

I just don't feeel like downloaded somethng I have to pay for when it should be free.

Since when is beta something you are automatically entitled to? Why should it be free to use Fileplanet's high speed file servers?

I've never understood that mentality. I pay about $60 a year for my fileplanet account, and I got to download 3 free games when I signed up for a premium account. The 3 games were Theif 2, Hitman 2, and ToEE. That was well worth the price to me.

I'm just waiting for the 30 minute client download to play. People can now go back to whining about Fileplanet.

I just found out the beta is strictly for multiplayer. That kinda blows, because I personally wouldn't buy the game for an online component. I'm not sure if this means there is a hot-seat component...but I'm guessing that concept went the way of adventure games and co-op (meaning it's dead.)

Ah well, my download just finished...

Ok, I got some good play time in, first impressions...

Bad News: It's buggy...very buggy right now. I will be surprised to see it released in February.

Good News: It's gorgeous! It really is just a beautiful game.

-It has Hotseat play as an option

-It is basically exactly like HoMM III. It has a beautiful 3d engine, but the combat, the map movement, and the city building is basically the same. The gameplay is exactly the same. I haven't tried the real time combat option though...but I love the turn based.

Duel option is just a 1 on 1 battle on the battle screen. You have an army, your opponent has one, and you go at it. It seemed pretty random to me, but it crashed early on in the only duel I tried. I'm thinking you can probably build your own hero and take him to the duel ring to face other people, but right now you just choose a random hero.

I think some people just need to relax. They're playing a "beta" copy of the game, there's going to be bugs, graphical issues, sound issues, etc. -- it's beta, it's to be expected. Some seem to believe that this beta release is going to be the final product and that UBI is not giving Nival the proper time to complete the project. They're assuming all of this and are creating petitions to "save the game". The people at Nival are probably looking at this and going, "WTF?!" or getting a good laugh out of it, maybe both. I find it all rather funny. People think Heroes V will be a repeat of Heroes IV, I think they need to wait until they have the FINAL product in their hands before voicing their displeasure.

As for the beta, I've got to play a few sessions, both in duels and training, and I'm enjoying it. My only gripes at the moment are the size of the battlefields -- I think they're too small and Casting spells -- the length of time it takes for you to cast a spell and then watch the animation is too long and it slows down the pace of the game. I think they need to add an option to turn off spell animation or have a slider to adjust the animation speed. There is a slider to adjust the battle speed but that does nothing for spells. Overall I would say I'm impressed with what Nival has done and can't wait to play the final product.

I agree with Setzer. It seems like a very solid project, reminiscent of HoMM II. If they put in an opera soundtrack, it will be heavenly.

I expect the bugs to be ironed out eventually, I never judge a game based on that. The only real mystery will be the storyline. It worries me a bit, because the map descriptions are clearly written in broken English. My big question is if they hired a decent writer to tackle the campaign game.

Yeah, the beta is now available to everyone. All you need is a free account on Fileplanet.

I've played about 3 duels so far. Lost 1st one, won 2 next. It's certainly fun and enjoyable enough. Addictive, even. A few interface bugs, one crash, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything game-breaking.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Wow......

Mission accomplished for Might and Magic petition

[uPDATE] Turn-based strategy game quietly delayed as fan uproar over open beta test coalesces into online petition.

Angry gamers have been banding together to form online petitions for years, typically because they want to see a favorite franchise continued, or a new game localized and released in their own territory. That line of thinking is being flipped on its head this week, as a group of dedicated Heroes of Might and Magic gamers are petitioning to keep the latest game in the series from being released--for now, at least.

Publisher Ubisoft began its open beta period for Heroes of Might and Magic V earlier this week, and it didn't take long for a group of disappointed testers to coordinate efforts and launch a Web site to get the game delayed from its planned March release date.

"All of the undersigned wish to see Heroes of Might and Magic [V] as the title that reinvents the series, the title that brings glory back to the Heroes of Might and Magic name," the petition reads. "All wish to see more releases in this new world that Ubisoft has created for Might and Magic. However, we also feel that, should you release the game on its currently scheduled release date, all of our dreams will be shattered. Pushing back the release date even one month will provide many benefits, most of which will in turn equate to increased long-term profits for Ubisoft, and increased longevity for the Heroes series."

Little did the petitioners know that the project had already been delayed. An Ubisoft representative told GameSpot today that the company had pushed Heroes of Might and Magic V out of the March release window before the beta test even went live. However, the only public indication of this was the game's quiet absence from the company's list of releases planned for the current quarter, which ends March 31. A revised release date for the game is expected next week.

[uPDATE] The Ubisoft representative has since contacted GameSpot, emphasizing that the game's delay was not known about before the launch of the beta testing period.

By Brendan Sinclair -- GameSpot

Posted Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm PT

LINK

• 2 months later...

It's just random negativity and hate for.. well, basically everything.

Only way to get Hades to think positive about anything is to fly around the earth so fast that you turn back time and Fallout is released again.

Anyhow, good news! I am not the least bit interested in the multiplayer aspect of this, but I will surely download and try the single player version. Thanks for the link!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I remember correctly, Judge's hate for Ubisoft comes from the company being responsible for PoR2. However, he also said that he hates the company because it wasn't responsible for the game. :(

I just don't get robbing a hard working developer of the chance at success because of the publisher. When a game stinks, I blame the developer. Sometimes the publisher rushes the product (ok, usually) but it always comes down to the developers skill.

When I buy a book, I don't look at the publisher, I look at the author.

Edited by Hurlshot